Door motor?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Caretaker

Door motor?

Post by Caretaker »

Ugh, this might be not worth fixing. Today, we could not open/close the passenger's side window. Both the master switch and the passenger door switch provided some current to the motor but the window would only move an couple of inches slowly. If the switch was the problem, I'm guessing that it wouldn't act this way. The fact that the master switch and actual door switch acted sluggishly would indicate a motor problem imo. Suggestions? Thoughts?
SSizler

Re: Door motor?

Post by SSizler »

I don't have firsthand experience with Vibe window motors but it sounds like the door panel is coming off and a motor is going in.
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

As Ssizler mentioend, pop the door panel off and the access cubby open, to take a gander at it. Likely the window regulator needs replaced. They're not overly expensive from Rock Auto.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Problem solved. The problem was the wife. I did not know that our cars have auto down switches on the front passenger side. The switch has become worn and was getting stuck in the up or down position, essentially, not returning to the neutral position. As such, the motor was overheating. This morning, no problem; the window went up and down just fine. So we have to be aware to return the switch to the middle/neutral position so the motor won't overheat. Hopefully we did not do any long lasting damage to the motor (about $250 for the part on Conicelli).
Last edited by Caretaker on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Caretaker wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:11 am Thank you. How does one know if it is a regulator versus a motor? Do the symptoms I've described point to one or the other?
I guess I should have clarified. It could be the motor. But in most cases, the entire assembly. doesn't cost that much more than just the motor. Below link should have the motor, and then the entire motor/regular assembly.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... motor,1516

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Wow, all the GM parts websites have "discontinued" stamped next to many Vibe parts. I decided to buy a window switch (off brand) through Rock Auto for $10 shipped, just to have it around. I'm hoping my motor isn't too badly bruised and that I can just pop in the new window switch to keep my wife from depressing the old switch improperly and causing any more damage.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

I would just install the new switch now and be done with it.
Congrats on finding the problem source and lucking out on an easier repair!
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

And yes, most GM parts centers don't hve a lot of Vibe parts left.
Search for Toyota Matrix parts and you will have better luck.
Most of the parts are identical between Vibe and Matrix, but with different part numbers.
The HVAC system, A/C compressor and later radios are unique between brands though.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Sounds like taking the easy way out, blaming the wife. Maybe you need to let her drive more :P
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

FYI .... there was a service bulletin/recall on the master switch to where there was not enough lubricant in the switch. Look up your VIN to see if this recall was done. If not then take it to the dealer for the FREE service and maybe that will solve your problem
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks, but it wasn't the master switch, just an overheated motor. I ordered the passenger door switch for $10 delivered. I already have the old one out and will put the new one on when it arrives in 2 days.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Hi Caretaker,

You may want to check this link out about the Toyota recall on window switches. I am not sure about what year you are working on but I remembered something about the window switches. Here is link: https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/wi ... l.1226745/

Do not clean the grease out of the switches. It needs to be there as a heat sink for the switches. I have seen window switches burnt up when the window get frozen shut and the driver keeps pushing the button.....something has to give.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thank you for that. I have moved so many times over the past 5 years and we've had soooo many Toyota recalls on this car that I can no longer remember each time I have brought it into a dealer for repairs. I do remember the re-greasing (maybe twice) of the master switch. I did a search on my VIN and I don't have any open recalls. I'm awaiting my passenger door switch. Oddly, I can no longer get power to the passenger window using the master switch. I am crossing my fingers in hopes that it because I have the old switch removed and that no current can reach the motor without a switch plugged in. Right now my window is down an inch, so I need to get it closed somehow. We'll see what happens this weekend when the new switch comes. My model year has always been written in my signature box below.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

New passenger side window switch installed. Window now up. WHEW. I guess a working switch had to be in place for the master switch to also work on that window, completing the electrical circuit loop.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Caretaker wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:51 am I guess a working switch had to be in place for the master switch to also work on that window
You are correct on that quote. I realized this just the other week when I had to repair the loose foam insulator panels inside my son's 2009 Vibe GT. Couldn't roll up/down with the door panel/switch removed. Older cars would work independently but newer ones do not. Nice easy fix for you.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks T, but oddly, now that I have the window all the way up, I'm considering taking the switch out so that the window can't be lowered. Call it a $10 fix for my problem and don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You see, I can't be totally sure that the failing switch on the passenger door was the sole problem. If the old switch did not return to neutral and indeed did overheated the motor at least once, I'm paranoid that I may have an ailing motor in the door. If I pretend that the new switch solved all my problems, I run the risk of soon finding a lowered window that won't go up again, which in a Florida rainstorm would be pretty messy. It also would mean that I would have to fork out real dough for a new motor and actuator. What to do, what to do.......
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

You will want the window to work.
I have a 1999 Camaro SS that has a passenger window motor that goes down fine but only goes up an inch at a time, then stops until it feels like working again.
Every time I drive that car it seems like I need to roll that window down for something.
Good thing it is a 2nd spare vehicle so I never have to drive it much.
I really should replace that motor soon. It drives me nuts. :evil:
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Agreed with Ssziler. You'll want the window to be functional. Shell out the $50 or so for the motor and make the wife happy when she rides shotgun! :D

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks but it is at least $120 for the motor and another $70 for the regulator; then one hour labor charge if I'm lucky.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The entire regulator and motor assembly is $50 for the "Economy" one on RockAuto. Pop the door panel off, roll window down slightly so the window sashes/clips that hold the glass line up with the access holes. Undo the half dozen 10mm bolts, install new one, install glass, done. I think last time I did the drivers one, I had it out and back in within 15-20min. They're cheap and easy to do. If anything, have a second person help hold the glass up and remove it while swapping the regulator/motor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pon ... mbly,15596

Even at autozone, the Dorman complete assembly is around $100-125 for it.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Well, I wish I had an '03 then because I ain't seein' that the '09 (as shown on my signature moniker) has the motor and regulator as one piece, and I'm not seeing the prices the same either. As for popping the door panel off, if I don't trust GM mechanics to pop off my plastic parts to do the small recalls over these years, I certainly don't trust myself to do it. I'm likely to start a fire or something :lol:
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Caretaker wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:10 amWell, I wish I had an '03 then because I ain't seein' that the '09 (as shown on my signature moniker) has the motor and regulator as one piece
:lol: my bad. for some reason, despite even reading your signature, I was thinking 03-08. Afterall, they are the better option. :D

I wonder if one for a Matrix would suffice? they list the regulator, motor, and entire assembly for quite a bit cheaper than the Vibe.