crazy problem with 2009 vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jxchacho

crazy problem with 2009 vibe

Post by jxchacho »

So i have this problem with a 2009 vibe i just got from a family member... the battery ran dead after sitting for awhile i was started about 4 months ago and driven for a few mins and parked again... Now i replaced the battery and fuses first... now the wont start.. I jumped the starter to the battery the car will turn over... when i use the key it will not start, the starter relay is good the ignition switch is good i actually replaced thinking it might be that.. the dashboard llghts come on but the car still wont start with the key while i had the car started from the jumper wire the radio all the power door locks wont work from the key or the door i have no turn signals rear brake lights. I do have headlights though i also got the car ito gear by pressing the override under the cover near the shifter. the OBD2 scanner would not register either... Does it have a anti theft system? toyota immobilizer i have no idea if its the key or a security system.

Hopefully someone car help me out.

thanks
jolt

Re: crazy problem with 2009 vibe

Post by jolt »

Why did you replace fuses?
jxchacho

Post by jxchacho »

Some of them were blown so I replaced them
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

It might be useful to figure out what issue caused multiple fuses to blow before you got the car.

I don't have the wiring diagrams for an 09.

In the 03-08's, there's a big bolt on 100A fuse that some people have blown by trying to jump start the car with the cables crossed. Not saying that happened to yours, but maybe there's some other big non-conventional looking fuse that is still blown

Did the family member report any problems with the car before giving it to you?

If it were me, I'd come up with a complete list of everything electrical that does not work when the key is in the run position, then get hold of a wiring diagram and use it to try to trace all those things back to a common point
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is video that may help you find your shorts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LGykZiRtY
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

A similar thing happened on my Subaru (pre-Vibe) when I put the battery in backwards (the car was Reverse and the battery was not or the other way around). After replacing the main fuse (which was like $20), and the fuses hooked to the amplifiers, the car was back up and running again.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I'd be checking the wiring harnesses for rodent damage
2009 Vibe Base