Subwoofer Upgrade

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
BrandonMassey

Subwoofer Upgrade

Post by BrandonMassey »

I just bought a 10 inch 500w kicker sub and I wanna try and install it where the stock monsoon sub goes on my moons and tunes vibe, I just wanted to know if anyone has done this before and how to do it if possible cause I'd be ecstatic if I could keep all the space in the hatchback without installing an annoying sub box on useful space in the back so I'd like to try and retro fit it where the old one was, and also if the stock amp will work with the 10 inch one if its turned up or if I have to get a new amp, any help appreciated 😊
SlammedNiss

Re: Subwoofer Upgrade

Post by SlammedNiss »

I would say the biggest concern would be the depth. The OEM sub is pretty shallow. As far as the OEM amp, sure it might be able to power it, but the #1 reason speakers blow is distortion from UNDER-powering them.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yes !!! I remember someone done this before. It was a very detailed post. Try doing a search...I found it interesting.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm I would say the biggest concern would be the depth. The OEM sub is pretty shallow. As far as the OEM amp, sure it might be able to power it, but the #1 reason speakers blow is distortion from UNDER-powering them.
basically what i was going to say. I think depth is only like... 6" or so, max. Not a ton of room for aftermarket ones.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe