2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Bulb replacement

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Ace Barker

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Bulb replacement

Post by Ace Barker »

I read how to fix the bulb in the map light. Pop off the unit and replace. Mine shot up in the roof. I also have the sun roof. Anyway, getting to that one. I notice the shifter bulb(s) is out. Is that a pop off of the plastic to change? Besides the instruments, what else has a bulb? I gave the car to my daughter and while servicing this weekend I did notice the bulb in the map light and shifter were out. The instruments all are lit as the climate control. I am not sure if the power mirror switch had a bulb or not. I don't recall the window switches being lit except for the one button that reads "Auto"

I am not recalling a lot of the switches being lit.

Thank you

Ace...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
Ace Barker

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Bulb replacement

Post by Ace Barker »

The bulb is an easy change. Finding it is another :-)

Pull the radio plastic cover off first. Pull the transmission plastic off next, The PRDN indicator snaps out and then the tiny 14 v 1.4 W bulb is exposed. It has a small rubber cover on it. I grabbed a 14 v 1.4 Number 74 bulb. Don't make that mistake. It is a hair too large. Now to grab the right bulb There is no number on it. I will add photos later in an update.

Now just to figure out how to get the bulb and socket into the overhead map light. I am struggling to remove that.

Ace...
Last edited by Ace Barker on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
Ace Barker

Post by Ace Barker »

GM no longer carries the bulb. Toyota has it for $5 and change. The part number is 9098111018.

Ace...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The sunglasses holder/map light housing is pretty easy to remove. Use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry around the edge of it. Once you can get a hang of the edge, carefully pull down on the entire thing. The bulb housings become loose over time and eventually pop up and out of where they're supposed to be. I experienced this on my mom's Vibe not too long ago.

The power mirror switch does not light up.

The only window switch that lights up is just like you said, AUTO on the driver's window switch on the master switch.

The only other switches that light up are the radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel, assuming your Vibe has them of course.

FWIW, to replace the shift indicator bulb, you only need to unscrew the shift knob and than carefully pop the shift indicator bezel up and out of the way. I recently swapped the shift indicator bulbs in both our Vibes with these #74 cool white LED bulbs. The color provided matches the gauges and HVAC knobs (which also have cool white LED bulbs behind them) nicely.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage