Receiver Install on 2005 Base

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
beermoney

Receiver Install on 2005 Base

Post by beermoney »

So 2 weeks ago I had one of the backlight bulbs on the stock receiver blowout on me. Leaving a 1/3 of the backlight being dark. That drove me nuts. So I looked around on here at some topics and seen that you can fix the issue by soldering in new bulbs. I said the hell with that nonsense......since I live in the state of IL, they passed a law Jan 1st that you can no longer use your phone while driving unless you have "hands free" (bluetooth earpiece, factory integrated bluetooth through the factory receiver, etc). I figured, might as well just get an aftermarket receiver that has bluetooth and hands free built into it. So that is what I did. I went on the interwebs to Crutchfield.com, as I have used them for years, since you get all the installation accessories for free or at a discount.

Being that I am a big Pioneer guy, and always have been since I got into installing car stereo equipment when I was like 14, I stuck with them and purchased the Pioneer FH-X700BT (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X700BT/ ... ml?tp=5684). It came free with the American International GM-422 Dash Kit (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_003GMK422/ ... r-Kit.html), the Metra 70-2003 Wire Harness (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120702003/ ... rness.html) and the Metra 40-GM10 Antenna Adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040GM10/ ... apter.html). Then you also have the option to purchase the Scosche SLC4 Four-Channel Line Output Converter for half price, which you also need (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html). After reading several install threads here on GenVibe.....pretty much everyone said to use the Scosche SLC4, so I was glad that Crutchfield sells that product instead of the PAC product. Made it easy so I didn't have to order it anywhere else, and I got it half price.

I got everything in just 3 days......of course it ended up being just a hair to late to get it for the 4th of July extended weekend. But, I said screw and took 2 days off this week as for back to back extended weekends and got to work on this right away today. I looked over the install instructions during the week, and it seemed like it was going to be really easy to install. I had never installed a line converter before.....I guess the last 15+ years, not cars had the fancy systems in them....or at least not any of the cars that I owned or my friends owned. LOL.

So onto some pictures that I took while I installed everything.

1. Stick your fingertips in the gap behind the trim panel and slowly pry the bottom of the trim panel outward towards the shifter.

2. As you can see, the panel has been pulled out and is no longer attached at the bottom.

3. Swing the panel upwards and outwards to pop everything else out.

4. The panel is now fully disconnected from the dash, its time to disconnect all of the harnesses connected to it. There is 3 harnesses on the top, simply push the retaining clip in and slide it out.

5. Now disconnect the harness on the left side of the panel along with the cable, which I am not sure what it does. But there is two clips on each side of it that will release the the cable from the panel....be careful as its greasy.

6. Time to remove the factory receiver. Extract the 4, 10mm bolts that secure it to the dash....there is 2 on each side....the two top are right there in the front, and the bottom two are towards the back of the receiver. Just you an extension on your ratchet and its easy cheesy.

7. Once you have the receiver loose, pull it out and disconnect the two wire harnesses and the antenna. When installing the new receiver, you only use the larger plug, not sure what the second plug is for, maybe XM? I made sure to put the new Metra Antenna Adapter on the antenna cable right away so that it wouldn't slide down into the dash.

8. Wiring time....get the Scoshe SLC4 out and wire it to the wire harnesses. On the input side, that is where you connect the wire harness from the new stereo receiver. I used the instructions from the SLC4 and the Metra Wire Harness to make sure that I plugged/ screwed down the correct wire to the correct Letter/Number combo on the SLC4. The output side of the SLC4 is where you connect all the Metra Wire harness wires. Then you need to splice together the Ground, 12V+, 12v+ Constant, Power Antenna/Amplifier Turn-on, etc. from the stereo harness and the Metra harness. You don't use the Dimmer or Illumination wires, so just cover them with tape.

9. Be sure to turn down the Input and Output gains.....its only about a half turn to them all the way down, as mine came defaulted all the way up.

10. Also, don't forget to change the 3-way switch on the side of SLC4. Common Ground / Factory Amp / Line Out. Make sure to put the switch in the middle for "Factory Amp".

11. Time to connect the receiver to the dash kit....the American International kit just simply snapped together, then I had to place it into the dash opening and figure out which tabs had to be cutoff. After cutting the unneeded tabs off, I slide it over the receiver, and attached the receiver to it using the supplied screws.

12. Lets throw this bad boy into the dash and fire it up. Connect your antenna cable, and connect the factory harness (the larger one) into the Metra harness. Turn the key and fire it up. Tune it to a station that works so you got some sound, and start adjusting the Input/Output gains on the SLC4. I turned the input gains all the way up, and then also turned the Output gains all the way up as well....but then backed the output gains off just a hair. It sounded fine with them all the way up.....but being me.....a goof I felt the need to back them off just a tiny bit. Don't ask me why....I'm weird. I slide the SLC4 down behind the climate controls, sat there perfectly and was then out of the way of the receiver.

That's it.....your done. Just put the trim panel back on and you're finished!

This FH-X700BT has a multicolored LED display, so I was able to match the led colors to the color scheme of the dash cluster.

***The receiver that I choose, doesn't come with a built in microphone for the bluetooth calling, so it had a wired one that I had to connect to the back of the receiver as well, and ran it out under the bottom of the trim panel and used the supplied 2-sided sticky tape to connect it to the bottom of the trim panel. That is the only thing I hated about the receiver.....but oh well. Can't have it all.

Hope this helps everyone in the future if you go to install an aftermarket receiver into your Vibe.
Last edited by beermoney on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
cptnsolo77

Re: Receiver Install on 2005 Base

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thx for posting, I installed new new kenwood receiver this spring and I get hissing at very low volume. Nothing major since the Vibe has so much road noise you cant really hear it except when your parked with the engine off & the volume is a 1. This fall when the wheather cools off i will install it. I have the Moon & Tunes stereo. I purchased the Schorshe unit to resolve the hissing but was a bit confused about how to wire it. You pic clears it all up.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
beermoney

Post by beermoney »

No problem. I had looked over several topics on here for aftermarket installations and none of them showed the wiring for the SLC4. Everyone that used it just said to use it instead of the PAC converter. I was a little bit worried about installing it as I have never installed one before, but when I looked at the instructions that it comes with, it gives you multiple ways of installing depending on what you want/have for a setup. The factory amp setup is really easy. The only thing it didn't talk about was the ground wire on the SLC4....which I take is not needed....but I went ahead and just spliced it into the ground wires from the stereo receiver and the Metra harness just to play it safe. The speaker wires are the only wires that get connected to the SLC4. The instruction book shows you which wire needs to go where.....

Input Side:
  • A1: Right Front (+) "Gray"
    A2: Right Front (-) "Gray/Black"
    A3: Left Front (+) "White"
    A4: Left Front (-) "White/Black"
    A5: Left Rear (+) "Green"
    A6: Left Rear (-) "Green/Black"
    A7: Right Rear (+) "Purple"
    A8: Right Rear (-) "Purple/Black"
Output Side:
  • B1: Right Front (+) "Gray"
    B2: Right Front (-) "Gray/Black"
    B3: Left Front (+) "White"
    B4: Left Front (-) "White/Black"
    B5: Left Rear (+) "Green"
    B6: Left Rear (-) "Green/Black"
    B7: Right Rear (+) "Purple"
    B8: Right Rear (-) "Purple/Black"
Stereo Receiver Harness - Metra Harness Splice Connections:
  • 12 volt Power: Red to Red
    12 volt Constant: Yellow to Yellow
    Remote Antenna / Amplifier Turn-on: Blue/White to Blue/White
    Ground: Black to Black and then I also added the Black ground wire from the SLC4 to this as well.
    Illumination: Orange to nothing......just tape it off, it doesn't get used. At least not on the 2005.
    Dimmer: Orange/White to nothing......just tape it off, it doesn't get used. At least not on the 2005.
Here is the wiring for the Metra Harness and the Sosche SLC-4

MarkM66

Post by MarkM66 »

Yeah, thanks for the post.

Mine too has interference type noise at low volume. It's really annoying if you're listening to talk radio.

So the SLC4 totally eliminates any back ground noise at low volume?
beermoney

Post by beermoney »

MarkM66 wrote:Yeah, thanks for the post.

Mine too has interference type noise at low volume. It's really annoying if you're listening to talk radio.

So the SLC4 totally eliminates any back ground noise at low volume?
I have no background noise/hum at low volumes at all. I have crisp, clean, and clear sound at all volumes, whether loud or quite. Everything I had read on older posts was that with the SLC-4 it does eliminate that noise, where the PAC converter still had the noise.
ioriopi

Post by ioriopi »

Hello, I recently bought my daughter a 2005 Base FWD model. I'm installing a Car Dual $16 aftermarket stereo and I need the wiring diagram for the factory stereo (that one using A1-A12 and B1-B12 pins connector) with the colors code if possible. Searched here but old photos in some threads are not available anymore. I don't know if the car has an amp or not. Thank you all.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

[quote=ioriopi post_id=531441 time=1614828536 user_id=35965]
Hello, I recently bought my daughter a 2005 Base FWD model. I'm installing a Car Dual $16 aftermarket stereo and I need the wiring diagram for the factory stereo (that one using A1-A12 and B1-B12 pins connector) with the colors code if possible. Searched here but old photos in some threads are not available anymore. I don't know if the car has an amp or not. Thank you all.
[/quote]

Your best best is to go to the local parts store or walmart and buy the adapter harness. Please do [b]NOT[/b] cut the vehicle wiring. For $15.00 you can buy the adapter harness that matches the colors of the new head unit, green to green, stripe to stripe, etc. and literally makes installing a head unit plug and play.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ioriopi

Post by ioriopi »

zbyers wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 am
ioriopi wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:28 pm Hello, I recently bought my daughter a 2005 Base FWD model. I'm installing a Car Dual $16 aftermarket stereo and I need the wiring diagram for the factory stereo (that one using A1-A12 and B1-B12 pins connector) with the colors code if possible. Searched here but old photos in some threads are not available anymore. I don't know if the car has an amp or not. Thank you all.
Your best best is to go to the local parts store or walmart and buy the adapter harness. Please do NOT cut the vehicle wiring. For $15.00 you can buy the adapter harness that matches the colors of the new head unit, green to green, stripe to stripe, etc. and literally makes installing a head unit plug and play.
Hello zbyers, tks for your reply. I bought the PT2049B 1-DIN Scosche adapter for $8.43, the MDA1B Scosche antenna adapter for $5.95, but I can live with cutting the wiring for a 16 year old car that I'll never use the old factory stereo again which lacks bluetooth and all modern functions we can`t live without. Of course I could change the aftermarket down the road, but this is another story.

Could you confirm the diagram below?
https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio ... nector.htm

Below are some links.
https://www.scosche.com/02-vibe-matrix-kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-2003-Ra ... ntiac+Vibe

P.S.: I found a license plate light backup camera for the Toyota Matrix 2008-2014 at https://www.amazon.com/1280x720p-Revers ... B07TZQ26L3
Would it fit the Vibe 2005?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

ioriopi wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 am Could you confirm the diagram below?
https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio ... htm{/quote}

I can't confirm the stock wiring colors as I used the below adapter to make it plug-n-play.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2008-Pont ... 2589642441
P.S.: I found a license plate light backup camera for the Toyota Matrix 2008-2014 at https://www.amazon.com/1280x720p-Revers ... B07TZQ26L3
Would it fit the Vibe 2005?
The matrix only shared a radio with the Vibe for model years 2003-2004. After that, Toyota realized the GM radio was garbage and installed their own.

However, it's a backup camera. So long as your headunit supports an input for a backup cam, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Might depend how it attaches to your headunit and all of that fun stuff.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe