USB Location

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
SactoAPR

USB Location

Post by SactoAPR »

Has anyone added a remote usb port? If so, where? I'm updating the radio in my wife's 05 Vibe, and the new unit only has a rear usb. At first I was thinking about the blank below the recirculate button. But read that there isn't much room behind there. I would like it to be somewhere near the center console/dash and kind of blend in. Any thoughts on taking out the coin holder near the parking brake and putting it there?
trb

Re: USB Location

Post by trb »

My son left his in his glove box so he could hook up a flash drive or his portable hard drive and leave it in the glove box. I would think putting it in the console might be a bit risky if something is spilled on it. Our Equinox has it inside the console so it is handy, but still enclosed and protected.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I just this week put in a headunit with a rear USB. I routed mine down, and if you remove the center cowl, and flip it over, you'll see a hole above where the little cubby there clips in. That's where I routed it to. I can close the cubby and keep the USB in there.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I have mine, along with my mic for the radio in the little cubby right below the radio

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derf

Post by Derf »

Added an extension cable, ran it into the center console. Now have 12v Cig plug, USB, and 1/8" jack all in one place. If you put a divider in the bottom, handy way to keep cables and audio device within hands reach. I usually listen to an album or podcast, so once I press play it goes back in the console, plus have head unit control over iPod. For those that need the audio device to change tracks, then another location might work better.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

i have removed my 110 volt converter and added my usb plug there., and the cover is still operational when there is nothing plugged into it.