My new full on system build

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
audiovibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I've got my fingers crossed right now with my system, hoping that my IDQ8's integrate well enough into my horns to not need a dedicated midrange.. If I have to add another set of drivers and an amp, my design is shot.. As I recall in the mid to later 90's when I competed in IASCA that was a bullet proof combo, Some reason the champs were all running IDQ horns, 8's, JL subs, 3 EQT's, and PPI art series. It was kinda strange! I always wanted to run a set of horns but they were always so expensive and I never had that kind of money to throw down on speakers when they were big. Who knows if I had a local Image dealer I would probably be trying to shoehorn some horns in as opposed to the Zapcos Well since you have the IDQs going in the Subie you can toss the pioneers in the Vibe:)On a side note today I got my alarm done, I started about 2:30 and finished around 8:00. There are absolutely no t-taps in the alarm install, every wire is soldered besides the LED wires. I used quick disconnects for the led as it is in the dash and I wanted an easy way to unplug it if I needed to take the dash out. My MDF and Formica came today and the delivery driver even let me keep the two pieces of 3/4" ply wood the the MDF came on. Yesterday my other Zapco 360.4 came in also, tomorrow I will start getting serious on the amp layout so I will snap a few more pics.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Yesterday was a disappointment!!! I found my original idea wouldn't work. I could have gotten everything in the hatch floor but the woofer would have been sticking up about 1" out of the floor. I was playing with some other ideasand these are what I came up withThisor thisI ended up choosing the first option. The second option would have been nice because I would have kept the woofer but I really didn't like the ED SQ10 sub.I decided to raise the false floor up 1/2" to bring the amps upAnd then I got to the mess of wiringThat was all I did yesterday! Granted most of the day was spent trying to get my original idea to work. There will be a beauty panel to flush the woofers in and hide the wiring then I will cut a net top piece and put a plexi window in. That's all for today I wont get a chance to work on it again until tomorrow.Enjoy Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Dude, give up the spare and we can get it all to work... Check this out.. down fire the DIYMA, into a glassed spare tire well, have the DIYMA right where the closest Zapco is at in the last pic... All the way to the front of the well, stack 2 of the 2 channels on top of one another(tuck away the one that looks like it's heatsink is purple)... So it would look much like what you have now, minus one amp.. do you see what i'm saying? Make a glass tub that extends from the tailgate, up to just past the middle amp.. the "cubby" that you have to stack the amps in, you could house your power distribution, I can even see how we could build a very nice display, man... Let's talk about that spare... you got AAA... lol...
Sublimewind

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »As I recall in the mid to later 90's when I competed in IASCA that was a bullet proof combo, Some reason the champs were all running IDQ horns, 8's, JL subs, 3 EQT's, and PPI art series. It was kinda strange! I always wanted to run a set of horns but they were always so expensive and I never had that kind of money to throw down on speakers when they were big. Who knows if I had a local Image dealer I would probably be trying to shoehorn some horns in as opposed to the Zapcos Well since you have the IDQs going in the Subie you can toss the pioneers in the Vibe:)On a side note today I got my alarm done, I started about 2:30 and finished around 8:00. There are absolutely no t-taps in the alarm install, every wire is soldered besides the LED wires. I used quick disconnects for the led as it is in the dash and I wanted an easy way to unplug it if I needed to take the dash out. My MDF and Formica came today and the delivery driver even let me keep the two pieces of 3/4" ply wood the the MDF came on. Yesterday my other Zapco 360.4 came in also, tomorrow I will start getting serious on the amp layout so I will snap a few more pics.AronI sure hope it's a solid combo.. I want to mix that oldschool with the new.. I would hope you didn't use any T-taps in your alarm install, they are a the devil.. We seriously need to talk about that spare though... Tell you what, take it out, clean it up really nice, and have the wife make you a heavy weight nylon "bag" for it.. so once everything is said and done, you can still throw the spare in the back on TOP of everything.. Nix the spare and we can do something very special.. if you want to hear all of my ideas.. I've got a million of'em now for some reason... I seriously get what I call "design rushes" I'll be thinking about something I want to build... like your car, now, for instance.. And I just get this huge rush of design ideas... Like I literally stop for a minute and just let the brain process.. lol..!
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »We seriously need to talk about that spare though... Tell you what, take it out, clean it up really nice, and have the wife make you a heavy weight nylon "bag" for it.. so once everything is said and done, you can still throw the spare in the back on TOP of everything..The spare is gone all together I have a matching 18 to take on long rides:) She kind didn't understand why I was removing the spare when I told her I was getting AAAQuote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Nix the spare and we can do something very special.. if you want to hear all of my ideas.. I've got a million of'em now for some reason... Shoot Em' I'm open to anything the only thing I ask is that it stays under the rear floor.Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I seriously get what I call "design rushes" I'll be thinking about something I want to build... like your car, now, for instance.. And I just get this huge rush of design ideas... Like I literally stop for a minute and just let the brain process.. lol..!I get like that when someone shows me a new car and such The amp with the purplish heatsink (30th anniversary amp) is new old stock my local dealer had and cut me a huge deal on, the one in the bottom he had in the back room someone had uninstalled about 9 months ago and never came back and picked up. The heatsink was part of the reason I was gonna stack them in the first idea pics I posted. The only reason I cant down fire it into the well is the depth. To get the back plate on the magnet level with the floor and the glass built up the sub only has about 3/8" from the surround to the floor. The only reason it has to stay below floor level is so I can still use the cargo capacity. It seems everytime we go away for a weekend she has 2 suitcases to my duffel bag and shops till she drops so on the way home we have twice as much stuff then we had when we went. Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

no real updates yet I just got every thing wired up so I can have some music while I try to figure a way to get everything in the hatch.Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Couldn't you just raise the floor 1" ??? If you did that you surely could down fire the sub and the planets would align, the waters split and opening the doorway to your killer install would reveal itself.. ... lol..
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Wheres my post? HmmmI posted a couple days ago maybe I forgot to hit post.I thought about raising the floor but I didn't like the idea of having a lip visible when opening the hatch. I might be looking to see what I can fit under the passenger seat. I will probably raise that about an inch. have to wait to find time to measure it.No updates still, I have been uber busy getting the cabin ready for memorial day weekend. I should get back to the build Tuesday or Wednesday. I did find something bad today my HDD took a dump an now I need to get another one and load it up before next weekend.Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

You wouldn't have to have a lip... Being if you were to follow my path, the sub would be the rear most component, so from about half-way back you could lose the 1" or most of it.. You could make the false floor like you would any other, but use expanded steel mesh over the sub, and have the mesh come right down to the sub.. which would help get you down to the most minimal height.You could also put an amp under each seat, leave the long ones in place but move them to the rear as far as you could.. then you could possibly mount the power/ground blocks up there at the ends of them.. I see that fuse block with the blade fuses in it... what's that about? Is that feeding amps? Then you have the other distribution blocks.. ?You should register and post this on DIYMA.. I'm sure you'd get all sorts of props.. (IF you aren't/haven't already)
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Still undecided about final mounting but I might be going to an IDQ 12 because it will work in the same size enclosure and is about an inch shallower allowing me to work my original idea. with the sub in the rear. Now that it is nice outside there is no time to do anything and the install keeps getting pushed further and further down the list.The good news is that I did finally get my HDD replaced yesterday with a solid state drive and I added some more memory so I now have 2gb and boot times in the area of 13-15sec.I keep meaning to get a post going over there but I never have time to get it started.Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Well after a couple months of being way to busy' I had some spare time this today and the rest of the weekend for that matter so I will be working on my car audio again. I really wasn't to trilled with the way I put the amps in the hatch as I really wanted to put my sub in the floor also but was limited to the physical floor layout and the fact I have to many amps. I will be going back to my original idea of mounting the amps in a half moon configuration. The 360.4s will stay where they are and the 500.1s will create a U shape. The sub will be getting mounted in the floor like i originally planned. Today I got the trunk stripped and got started.Excuse my pics I had to use my cell as my camera battery was dead.Laid out aluminum foil to act as a release agent for the mold.I used woven mat to lay up the base, I used spray glue to hold the mat to the aluminum foil.I ended the night with 2 layers of mat and I snaked some rope along the bottom of the enclosure to add rigidity, I didn't get a pic of that because it git to dark. Tomorrow I will put 2 layers of chopped mat down let it cure and hopefully I can pull the mold out.If anyone was interested here is how My carpc is laid out.the rear has 2 minibox M2-atx 160watt power supplies, and my 30gb ssd.general shot of the MBWell hopefully more tomorrow.Also an update I will be taking a step away from th efull blown carPC and adding a Clarion DRZ9255 HU and a Xenarc 7" vga flip out screen. I will be keeping the PC for nav and audio tuning functions mostly.Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

BTW Aaron; I keep forgetting the little fuse block feeds power for the items that require less current draw. Both power supplies for the pc, amp turn-on relay, and DSP-6.Aron
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

wow man fricken amazing setup holy **** i always wanted to do that but i would never have the time. you will win some audio competitions with that!! looks great so far!!! great job man!!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »BTW Aaron; I keep forgetting the little fuse block feeds power for the items that require less current draw. Both power supplies for the pc, amp turn-on relay, and DSP-6.AronCue? I love what you have going on... I'm glad you finally decided to use the STW for the sub, you'll get all the volume you need now, the sub will be happier.. What sub are you using? I have something VERY special for you if you like... I need a carPC... this whole xBox thing I have, is wearing on me, and I haven't even used it yet..lol.. I like the thought of the car PC and I have the perfect place for it.. Everything but a touch-screen is already in place.. I just ran 2 USB ports into my center console (under the elbow) and will have the ability for 2 in the dash... (which right now are staying xBox specific ports)Also, where did you find the 30GB SSHD? (and how much) I am thinking about getting one for my xBox, and getting a SATA to IDA converter, so I can rid the box of the old mechanical drive.. (the huge 3.5" one)
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by B14CK_H4WK »wow man fricken amazing setup holy **** i always wanted to do that but i would never have the time. you will win some audio competitions with that!! looks great so far!!! great job man!!Thanks!Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Cue? I love what you have going on... I'm glad you finally decided to use the STW for the sub, you'll get all the volume you need now, the sub will be happier..Thanks Man, I haven't had a sub in there since I started the rebuild, (since I have an *** load of mid bass I made due). The main reason I was being held off from the STW was I wanted more volume but I wanted to keep everything under the factory floor level. The down side is I only have .5ft3 to work with now, but My sub is supposed to work great in that size enclosure.Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »What sub are you using? I have something VERY special for you if you like... I f'ing Love the Critical mass sub!!!! With the issues I had getting space limitations to work there is no way I could incorporate that thing) Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I need a carPC... this whole xBox thing I have, is wearing on me, and I haven't even used it yet..lol.. I like the thought of the car PC and I have the perfect place for it.. Everything but a touch-screen is already in place.. I just ran 2 USB ports into my center console (under the elbow) and will have the ability for 2 in the dash... (which right now are staying xBox specific ports)Also, where did you find the 30GB SSHD? (and how much) I am thinking about getting one for my xBox, and getting a SATA to IDA converter, so I can rid the box of the old mechanical drive.. (the huge 3.5" one)Car P.C.s are great but have their downsides as well, the main one being that if the PC dies and it is your only source you are SOL for a while, and the screens suck ***. I am really lucky mine P.C. extremly stable now with full boot time in under 18 seconds. (the PTR-7 is being used as an amp turn on delay so I don't get speaker pop and it is set for 18 seconds) I am going to be switching some stuff up though. I am getting a DRZ9255 that will be going in the dash and I will only be doing nav and processsing from the P.C. with some lossless, I will be putting in a 7" flip up Xenarc monitor for video (I pick that up at the end of the month at the MP3car meet)I got my ssd at Tiger Direct for $125 (it killed me to hit the place order button but it did drop my boot times 30 seconds) I am hoping it pays for itself this winter with no fails.Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Well I think I got quite a bit done today. hopefully tomorrow I can get it all wired. On to some pics.Today I put a 2 layers of chopped mat down and covered the rope. The dark spots is where some resin pooled under the mat I pulled the mold out and trimmed it down, the light spots are not air pockets the foil is still attached to 70% of the under side.I cut the top of the enclosure and woofer cutout.I cut a beauty board to cover the bottom row of amps.This is how I decided to mount the top ampsKinda hard to tell but the fuse blocks are on a panel that is raised to allow th power and ground wires to pass under and down to the lower level. This is how the final product will look for the most partI am either going to add some blue neon to accent around the sub or I will cut rings to make it solid around the sub. I am leaning more toward the second option as it will finish it off and act as a brace to hold the rear up so it isnt saggy like it is in pic.Well that's all for the day I should have it wired tomorrow so I can test it some to see what I gained from the sub addition. I also glassed the tub to the top of the enclosure but I didn't get a pic of that yet.Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Dude, it looks AMAZING...
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Dude, it looks AMAZING... Thanks Man!Today I got everything wired again and did some listening; I cant believe everything I've been missing! My old sub doesn't hold a candle to the DIYMA sub! But now I have a new issue to much bass! There is no gain and no bass boost being used, I am hoping the DRZ will help here with a volume control.Well only two pics today, this week I will probably make the top panel and that will probably be all for the rest of the year as we are moving alot of stuff to storage so we can look to buy a bigger house.The lower level wired upThe top layer wired upThe wires on the top will be hidden when the top panel is cut, I just need to decide how I want to cut it now.A downside to the day! one of my HDDs in my server died today, it wouldnt be a big issue but it had roughly 175 movies all my pics and 75000 songs. Luckily all the pics but the recent ones in this thread are in the cars pc and almost half the music.Aron
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Brown Santa brought some audio goodness todayAron
MSAGRO

Post by MSAGRO »

I LOVE ANYTHING CLARION!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Is that the DRZ9255 that everyone goes all wonkey over?? Looks like it..
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Wow!!! Simply amazing. Your gonna have to teach me how to fibreglass lol.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Is that the DRZ9255 that everyone goes all wonkey over?? Looks like it.. The only thing I think I will miss from using the P.C. for everyday duties is that I will have to change out CD's, or utilize an Ipod.Quote, originally posted by Celtic_Curse »Wow!!! Simply amazing. Your gonna have to teach me how to fibreglass lol.Thanks! Fiberglass rocks!!! it is easy as pie once you figure out the mixing ratios between the resin and MEKP (hardener). Once you get that down you get ample work time from the resin that allows you to get the mat saturated enough to avoid bubbles around the edges. Unfortunately some of my edges lifted away from the bottom layers but I didn't mind much because I had to trim the mold .Aron
Calata

Post by Calata »

What didn't you like about the SQ10?
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe » The only thing I think I will miss from using the P.C. for everyday duties is that I will have to change out CD's, or utilize an Ipod.Thanks! Fiberglass rocks!!! it is easy as pie once you figure out the mixing ratios between the resin and MEKP (hardener). Once you get that down you get ample work time from the resin that allows you to get the mat saturated enough to avoid bubbles around the edges. Unfortunately some of my edges lifted away from the bottom layers but I didn't mind much because I had to trim the mold .AronIs that DRZ, the 4way active able one? I'm sure it is...What resin are you using? You know that most resin you can commonly get has wax in it right? Could be why some of your edges de-laminated..
audiovibe

Re: (Calata)

Post by audiovibe »

Quote, originally posted by Calata »What didn't you like about the SQ10? The woofer really seemed to loose alot of oomph below 50hz when you started to turn up the volume. I have overdriven plenty of subs in my time and have always been more then happy with the results. The sub was nice at lower listening levels. My main issue is probably that the woofer doesn't like much of any power.There were a couple areas I was impressed though. The build quality really surprised me. Even with up to 600 watts on the sub it hang in there like a champ, the sub never failed or came apart. I played everything from 20hz sine waves-Zapata on the woofer and it was always ready for more. The ED customer service also impressed me. Before I bought the sub I recieved a call from Ben Milne to discuss the application the sub would be used. He sounded a lil hesitant and unsure about this sub in that application, but it was one of the only subs on the market that would fit the application at the moment.I am sure the issues I had in regards to the sub were all my doing with feeding it to much power. I am going to give the sub another shot in my wifes car with a lil 125 watts to match the factory audio.Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Is that DRZ, the 4way active able one? I'm sure it is...Yes, That is one of the main reasons for choosing to add this radio over the 7200mkII or the 800PRS. I was going to add another DSP-6 so I could have sub processing, and 10 more bands on the Mids and tweets givving me 20 bands parametric per left and right on tweets, and mids and 10 bands per left and right on mid bass and mono sub Going with the DRZ I was able to get 15 bands parametric per left and right on tweets, mids, and mid bass, and still give me 5 bands for sub. I have been thinking of getting back to the SQ comps but we only have a few in the area of IL and WI every year through MECA and the rules say I need a physical CD transport to play cds. so this also covers that base.Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »What resin are you using? You know that most resin you can commonly get has wax in it right? Could be why some of your edges de-laminated.. It is a 3M resin from the local auto body supply. I had this left from a small project I did about 7 months ago. It was coming up on its shelf life so I had to get it used upI didn't know that about the wax in resin Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Awe man, you should have just kept the carPC as-is and got an Alpine c/h701 combo and called it a day.. Optical in, Pre-amp, EQ (huge EQ) crossover (huge crossover, 4way able), and T/A... for ~400$... lol..
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

I still needed a quality CD transport to read CDs though, and I would have had to find a place to mount the alpine controller. As with my Zapco processor I don't need the controller. I also prefer parametric over graphic as I have always felt you can become more tailored with the parametrics functions. Now don't get me wrong the Alpine 701 is a solid piece. When I looked into EQs a few years ago I thought about the Alpine piece, but in the end I felt the Zapco unit suited my needs better.Today I did a lil twice Hehe. I started to make the beauty board for the false floor, spent a couple hours measuring so I only had to cut once and not make a mistake, (I hate wasted wood). I have templates made of my amps so I only have to make a rough cut with the jig saw then I can line up the template and router away. I got half of the board done moved to the other side got half way done routering and the template moved. That made me mad but I finished the piece to make sure my measurements were on and I didn't need to change anything. The piece would have been good but it gave me a solid foundation for the finished piece anyway. Well on with the pics.Started the layout on the first pieceI got the second piece cut and the holes for the distro blocks cut.I got the woofer cutout made and a test fit to see where I need to trim. I need to trim about 3/16" from the bottom V's of the amps and then the baffle will sit down a little more flush leaving me some space to trim for plexi covers.I still need to do a lil trimming and cut 2 more holes for the windows to the 360's to be visable.Thanks for looking, Aron
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Dang man, this is looking very nice. I can't wait to see / hear it in Sept. If you make the meet. I don't care if it's not all done, what you have done looks amazing.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I just had a crazy idea, can we cut a 10" hole in the bottom of your spare tire well? .. lol.. You could IB that sub, vented outside, you could cut it and keep it, weld it back in later when you are done.. lol.. Could mount it just the same, but you could just sono-tube down to the floor and have a protective expanded steel cover, keeping things from getting to the cone... It would be extreme, extremely awesome that is... lol...
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

(removed) I always wanted to do that with 10" in the front floor.Aron
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Right, but you actually COULD out back... lol..
ShadowMaster

Post by ShadowMaster »

Do you have any pix of the finished product?
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

It has been at a stand still for a while, just been to busy and no motivation in the little free time I have had this winter. I am on the fence about finishing it up though just because my vibe will be going back totally stock by the fall, and by the time I buy my plexi, vinyl, and dye to color match I will be somewhere $100-$150 so I'm not sure I want to spend that just to pull it all out in 6 months.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Stock, how come? You trading it in?
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

No I am keeping the Vibe! Since August I have only put on about 1500 miles on the Vibe one trip to MN and one trip to southern IL with a few local jaunts around town. I am planning on getting rid of my current daily driver and making the Vibe more comfortable for daily use, after I decide what I want to buy for a toy. I plan on buying a sport sedan (CTS-V, G8 GXP, SRT-8 etc.) but I have been recently looking at C5 Z06's. I would really like to buy a Ferrari but the only on that really appeals to me in my realistic price range (under 35k) is the 308. The thought of the maintenance cost on a car that does not get driven, and the lack of collectability factor makes that a bad investment for me. So who knows right now I am keeping my options open as I am not in a serious shopping state yet, but when I buy a new home and sell the current home all is game, until then I am just trying to decide what purchase will make me happy.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

it is still standing as the last update, just unsure if I will finish or remove. The only changes I made were adding a CD player in the dash and a 7" flip out VGA screen for the P.C..
Law711

Re: My new full on system build

Post by Law711 »

It really sucks I can't see any pictures 😕