Turning off headlights 09 Vibe

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jester

Turning off headlights 09 Vibe

Post by jester »

I bought an 09 Vibe and love it. Only thing I hate about it is you can not turn off the head lights at night, only way to do it is to shut the car off. Very aggravating when you're trying to warm your car up on a cold night in a parking lot, at a little league ball game and you have to shut you headlights off, etc. Not getting much help from the factory customer service on this one. Any other GM model you can at least turn the headlights down to park with the vehicle running at night. Any one have any good ideas on this one...............thanks
djb383

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (jester)

Post by djb383 »

Will they stay off if the Ebrake is set prior to starting the engine?????
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
jester

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (djb383)

Post by jester »

Setting the parking brake before starting still will not shut off the headlights on the 09 Vibes................thanks anyway
lowincash

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (djb383)

Post by lowincash »

the headlights still turn on at night even if you have your ebrake on. only during the day when you have ebrake on the drl won't come on till you release it.
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
keithvibe

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (lowincash)

Post by keithvibe »

This is for the '09 Corolla - May help you, Do it at your own risk since I do not own a '09 vibe..1) Remove the glove compartment2) Locate the DRL module. Its a black unit mounted sideways with a wiring harness plugged in the side of it.3) Unplug the harness from the module4) Cut the blue wire at pin 12. Leave at least 3 inches of wire sticking out of the connector in case you ever want to put it back.5) Tape up the end of both blue wires.6) Plug the connector back in.7) Put the glove box back.8) Enjoy the freedom of controlling your lights yourself.you will lose your auto lights but you will be able to turn off your lights manually
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Vibe2009

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (keithvibe)

Post by Vibe2009 »

Is there a fuse that I came pull out instead of cutting the wire? So that the light sensor stop working....
Red Hot Metallic 2.4L, 5sp Auto, 17" Chrome Clad wheels, XM
jester

Re: Turning off headlights 09 Vibe (Vibe2009)

Post by jester »

Couldn't find a fuse that you could pull to disable the DRL, and the Toyota Corolla that he mentioned has the DRL on the opposite side from the Vibe. The lights work just like they're supposed to with the key in the ignition until you turn the key to start. I will find a way to fix this problem in the next couple of weeks and will post it.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Why not just disconnect the sensor?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
jester

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by jester »

Have you done it? I've read where a few people have went in and cut the #12 wire, but still haven't had time to locate the harness and either disconnect it or cut the wire.
jester

Re: (jester)

Post by jester »

Haven't had any luck whatsoever with factory customer service on the matter, they called and left a message that there was nothing they could do. The local dealers service manager here in North Platte, NE Bob Spady Pontiac told me that it was built into the computer, nothing they could do about it. He told me that the Vibe was Pontiacs low end vehicle and what did I expect to get with their cheaper car? Duh, well maybe headlights that I could turn on and off at night, that's not asking for too much is it. I am sorry that this is all I could get done with the factory and the local dealer, my answer is to never buy a GM vehicle again and that's just what I'm going to do. There service is no service and my dollars are going elsewhere.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Not exactly GM's fault though, blame Toyota on this one - it's their system. On true GM products, you just have to set the parking brake to disable them. I can see how this would be extremely frustrating, you need some control over your lights sometime. On the last generation, just unplugging the sensor worked wonders. I had actually wired up a switch so I could enable or disable just the automatic lighting part. If they haven't changed much with the way their system works, I would suspect that is still possible to do on the '09.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
moongdss

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by moongdss »

This is a HUGE issue at drive-in movies!! Now-a-days, you have to have your car on ACC at least to get the audio through your radio, and go ahead and sit in a non-running car in winter while watching a 2 hour movie.Does the DRL interrupt mod for the 03-08 *not* work on teh 09s? do we have anyone who has tried?
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
keithvibe

Re: (moongdss)

Post by keithvibe »

the drl modular is on the other side of the car.Doubtful it's the same
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jester

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by jester »

After many hours of researching the problem on my 2009 Vibe I have finally found how to eliminate the drl from the headlights so that you have total control of the headlight switch with the car running. Thanks to a couple of very good Toyota service techs at the local dealer, and good info from keithvibe as it's the same for the Corolla as it is for the new Vibes. The DRL module is located behind the glove box, simply remove the glove box entirely so you have a little more room to work. The module is the larger of the 3 and farthest to the right, it has a white plugin harness going into it. What you want to do is eliminate the #12 wire, which on the 09's is blue. You can tell which one it is quite easily as it's just under and on the right of the 2 bigger wires. I had the service tech remove the wire from the harness rather than cut it in case I ever wanted to simply put in back together if I sold the car or there was a question from Pontiac about it. You can of course just cut it also, just make sure you leave enough so that you can put a connector back in there should you need to enable it again. Remember, it's the small blue wire, #12 just under the big brown and white wires at the top of the white plug in. See file attachment below, the blue wire has already been removed from the wire plugin at the point of the arrow, took the tech about 10 minutes total time after I showed him what I wanted done. Thanks again Keith

Attached files
jester

Post by jester »

Another picture

Attached files
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

awsome! does removing the blue wire disable both drl and auto headlights? i actually like the drl, but hate the auto headlights. but thanks for figuring it out on the 09's...i might have to put a separate switch to it so i can turn drl on/off or whatevers lol
jester

Re: (lowincash)

Post by jester »

Yes it does disable the auto headlights and DRL, so if you want the DRL during the day time and eliminate the auto headlights at night just cut the blue wire and wire that into an extra switch on the dash somewhere. then simply turn off the switch at night so you have control over your headlights at night.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

hey jester...did they just pull that wire out and just put some double sided tape around the wire openening? i'm afraid to pull loloh yeah can we unplug that white plug thing? i tried to unplug it so i can see the wire but it won't budge =/
milocas

Post by milocas »

If you take the plug out, you can see that the Wire as a pin. If you push the pin in with a small flathead. You can pull the wire out without worrying about the cable. And to reinstall it just push the pin back out and your good!!!
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
lowincash

Re: (milocas)

Post by lowincash »

do you mean that i can just pull that small blue wire out instead of cutting it like what jester did...and if i want to put it back i just need to stick it back in the hole that i pulled it out from?
milocas

Post by milocas »

yup, just make sure you push it in really good to get the pin closed
2003 Pontiac Vibe GT
lowincash

Re: (milocas)

Post by lowincash »

do you need tools to pull it out? i've been pulling and pulling...it's so tight =/
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

eh i just ended up cutting the wire lol it's great to be able to turn off the lights at night now haha
jester

Post by jester »

Glad you at least got the right wire.........Hope the info helped you out. It really is so nice to be able to turn off the lights when you want too. In case anyone else wants to know, you can't just pull that wire out, it takes a special tool that most car shops or dealer shops have to slide in the plug-in, and then the wire will come right out........no cutting. Just tape up the end of the wire and walla, there you have it.........
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

yah it's great to control the lights youself =D i'll eventually install an on/off switch just in case lol
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

well i had an on/off switch added today so now i can have my drl on or off or control my headlights =D
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

glad it's working for ya maybe a mod should sticky this thread so others can take advantage of it.Or maybe it can be moved to the DIY section then sticky it there
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

As this mod is already in the list I did add it to the list as a secondary to #4 as it is the same mod except the DRL Box is in a new location for the '09s.
keithvibe

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by keithvibe »

nice, thanks
rickodean

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by rickodean »

Does anyone know how to disable the headlights on a 2004 VIBE? I don't have the same wiring harness that the 2009 Vibe has. I took the glove compartment out and diabled 2 different blue wires and neither worked!
bull77

Re: (rickodean)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by rickodean »Does anyone know how to disable the headlights on a 2004 VIBE? I don't have the same wiring harness that the 2009 Vibe has. I took the glove compartment out and diabled 2 different blue wires and neither worked!check out the exterior section or search for disable drl
jester

Re: (bull77)

Post by jester »

Not sure, but I believe if you read back on a few of the comments in this section that the 04 Vibe is not the blue wire, but the #12 red wire.When I was researching this at the time I think it was that, and I know it was discussed in this section. Hope that helps you out. Also, not sure about this either, but I believe it's located in a different location, possibly down near the brake pedal and steering column. Several people had pictures showing where to find it and the right wire to disconnect. Good luck..
whytea

Post by whytea »

Just did mine on thursday when the site was down and guess what I didnt count the thick wires are part of my 12 and cut the wrong blue wire. but i fixed it and got a switch for it to fit PERFECT right next to my traction control button. Went to the drive in saturday and the switch was perfect. Just wish the guy behind me had one installed.Will post pics later.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I do not understand why owners have not just disconnected the sensor on the dash.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I do not understand why owners have not just disconnected the sensor on the dash.Because no one has figured out a way to just disconnect the sensor on the dash .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ou.grizzly

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Because no one has figured out a way to just disconnect the sensor on the dash .Pop the sensor out of the dash and unplug it like others have done with the 1st Gen Vibe.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Okay, you do it and let us know how it goes !
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Okay, you do it and let us know how it goes !I like my auto-headlights.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Well you suck ! Just kidding!Part of me wants to just leave it alone and the other part of me thinks of how freaking cool the Vibe GT would look cruising around with just the parking lights or the parking and fog lights.*sigh* I don't know what to do...
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i would have left mine alone if i have the option to turn off the lights at night. w/ auto there's no way to turn them off at night. i like having full control of my lights tho loloh as for disconnecting the sensor, while i had the dash apart one time i saw the wire leading to the sensor. i think by cutting it will work but i already had my drl disconnected =P
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »i would have left mine alone if i have the option to turn off the lights at night. w/ auto there's no way to turn them off at night. i like having full control of my lights tho loloh as for disconnecting the sensor, while i had the dash apart one time i saw the wire leading to the sensor. i think by cutting it will work but i already had my drl disconnected =PYeah. It seems to me that pulling the glovebox out and cutting the wire under there would be easier than trying to mess around and get at the sensor. I am going to cut the DRL / auto headlight wire this weekend. Now if I could just get some more info. from gimmegimme about the wire he is referring to in his post about making the fog lights independent...
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

How To: Rewiring the fog lamp switch the way YOU want it. (2009)http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38754
CaptTom

Post by CaptTom »

Just got my 2010 Vibe on Thursday. This forum is great!Anyone know if this works on a 2010?I have to make this modification. I find the DRL annoying, but the inability to turn off the headlights at night is absurd.My biggest reason is that I have to drive through manned security gates almost every day. Nothing ticks off a security officer quicker than blinding him/her with your headlights at night. There's also all the other good reasons I've seen posted here. Then there's not waking the neighbors if you have to leave early or get home late, or waiting in a parked car with the engine running. How about stopping at the side of the road facing out into traffic without blinding oncoming drivers? I could think of a thousand times when it's not safe, or not nice, to leave your lights on at night.
ou.grizzly

Re: (CaptTom)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by CaptTom »Just got my 2010 Vibe on Thursday. This forum is great!Anyone know if this works on a 2010?I have to make this modification. I find the DRL annoying, but the inability to turn off the headlights at night is absurd.My biggest reason is that I have to drive through manned security gates almost every day. Nothing ticks off a security officer quicker than blinding him/her with your headlights at night. There's also all the other good reasons I've seen posted here. Then there's not waking the neighbors if you have to leave early or get home late, or waiting in a parked car with the engine running. How about stopping at the side of the road facing out into traffic without blinding oncoming drivers? I could think of a thousand times when it's not safe, or not nice, to leave your lights on at night.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=1391Pop the sensor out from the dash, disconnect the wire, zip-tie it to the sensor, and the pop the sensor back into the dash. No more automatic headlights at night. You can turn them ON or OFF at you convenience.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly » http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=1391Pop the sensor out from the dash, disconnect the wire, zip-tie it to the sensor, and the pop the sensor back into the dash. No more automatic headlights at night. You can turn them ON or OFF at you convenience.It still seems easier to me to just remove the glovebox and cut the wire rather than trying to reach up on the dash and pop the sensor out. Just my $.02 though.Quote, originally posted by CaptTom »Just got my 2010 Vibe on Thursday. This forum is great!Anyone know if this works on a 2010?I have to make this modification. I find the DRL annoying, but the inability to turn off the headlights at night is absurd.My biggest reason is that I have to drive through manned security gates almost every day. Nothing ticks off a security officer quicker than blinding him/her with your headlights at night. There's also all the other good reasons I've seen posted here. Then there's not waking the neighbors if you have to leave early or get home late, or waiting in a parked car with the engine running. How about stopping at the side of the road facing out into traffic without blinding oncoming drivers? I could think of a thousand times when it's not safe, or not nice, to leave your lights on at night.Yes, it will work on the 2010s. They are exactly the same as the 2009s. I wasn't able to get around to disabling the DRLs and auto headlights on my '09 GT this weekend, but it is for sure getting done this week after work and I will be doing the independent fog lights as well.
CaptTom

Post by CaptTom »

Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. I found the wire today, exactly as advertised, and it should be a very simple fix. I'm still thinking about whether I want a switch or not, and if so, where I'd mount it. I like the pic above, that looks pretty professional.BTW, I prefer this approach over disconnecting the TS because I've never been really thrilled with Daytime Running Lights, and this solution gets rid of that annoyance, too.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by CaptTom »Thanks, I think I'll give it a try. I found the wire today, exactly as advertised, and it should be a very simple fix. I'm still thinking about whether I want a switch or not, and if so, where I'd mount it. I like the pic above, that looks pretty professional.BTW, I prefer this approach over disconnecting the TS because I've never been really thrilled with Daytime Running Lights, and this solution gets rid of that annoyance, too.Yeah, I can't wait to cut mine this week and be able to cruise around with just the parking lights instead of those darn DRLs being on too.I definitely think if you are going to do a switch you should put it where lowincash did because like you said, it's look professional and almost stock there.Best of luck to you with this little project!
CaptTom

Post by CaptTom »

Update: Yesterday morning was foggy, and there was a 4-5 minute backup heading in to work. The lights cycled off and on three times. The guy in front of me must have wondered what the heck I was trying to signal! That's the last straw. The blue wire will be cut!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by CaptTom »Update: Yesterday morning was foggy, and there was a 4-5 minute backup heading in to work. The lights cycled off and on three times. The guy in front of me must have wondered what the heck I was trying to signal! That's the last straw. The blue wire will be cut!LOL! Yep, my auto headlights would turn on everytime I would pull into or out of my garage. It got very annoying.I disabled the DRLs & auto headlights yesterday and also did the independent fog lights as well. I couldn't be happier with finally having full control of all the lights.
CaptTom

Post by CaptTom »

I did the snip this morning. 100% effective. I'm sooooo much happier now that *I* have some say as to when the lights come on!