4 Burned Out Headlights in 12 Months!!!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
sooner

4 Burned Out Headlights in 12 Months!!!

Post by sooner »

Maybe there's another thread on this elesewhere but I have a car that's a headlight serial killer. It's a 2003 base Vibe with 5 speed. Fro 4+ years, the OEM headlights worked like a charm. HOWEVER, in the past year, I have had 3 headlights burn out and it killed another tonight. Honestly, I can't recall if they were all on one side because I replaced both of them when the Vibe claimed victim #1 over a year ago. I do not have a cracked lense and it's about 100 degrees here so moisture can't be a culprit. No fogging in the lense at any point. I did lose half the lighting over my A/C controls on the dash about 18 months ago and got a sticky power lock on the driver's side door about 6 months ago but it cured itself after a few manual lockings/unlockings. No other electrical issues. Any ideas? Is it cheap Sylvanias or something else? Thanks
Raven

Re: 4 Burned Out Headlights in 12 Months!!! (sooner)

Post by Raven »

Are you touching the glass part of the bulb when you install them? The oil on you skin causes the bulb to overheat and kills them. You're not using SilverStar bulbs are you? They die fast.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i beg to differ, i had silverstars in my sunfire for over 4 years and never had an issue with them...sooner, if the problem insists, you should take it to a dealer..could be a faulty wire or something thats overheating the bulbs
Raven

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by Raven »

On the Vibe the daytime running lights share the low beam element of the headlight bulb and in the case of SilverStars it is a well documented fact that they burn out extremely fast, usually in under 8 months but may take a year.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I put silverstars in my wife's Jetta 2 years ago, and they have been great so far. Even with her DRL they are still going strong.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
joatmon

Re: 4 Burned Out Headlights in 12 Months!!! (sooner)

Post by joatmon »

My vibe eats headlight bulbs, and I am very careful to not touch the glass part of the bulb . I have had bad luck with Sylvanias, right now I have some other brand, perhaps "Federal Mogul". I think the OEM bulbs were GE, but none of the stores around me sell GE headlight bulbs.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

the reason the SS bulbs burn out faster in the vibe and last longer in the sunfire is simple.the drls on the vibe are on the low beam filament and in the sunfire they are on the high beam filament. Since High beams overall are not used as much as lowbeams they will last longer.Where as in the vibe they go out faster as the filament is used all the time.This is also in conjunction with the shorter life rating the SS bulbs have in comparison to OEM bulbs
sooner

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by sooner »

Well, I just replaced the bulb--again. Last one was in March. Couldn't tell from the records if it was the right or left. I need to check to see if it was Sylvania or GE--they sell both. They definitely weren't SS bulbs. When I asked the tech what it might be if they are all burning out on the passenger side, he said "It means there might be something wrong with your electrical system." Wow
redlava

Re: (sooner)

Post by redlava »

That's what it sounds like to me. If you are getting some power surges and shorts then that would fry your bulbs in no time. Plus you mentioned the problem with your locks and AC lights. This doesn't really have a lot to do with your problem, but my bro-in-law's Jeep had electrical issues and it would migrate around the vehicle. It started with his power locks and went to his windows then to his lights. So I would definitely take it someplace and have the system checked before it gets any worse.Good Luck!
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

sooner, I feel your pain. I replace headlight bulbs like crazy, mostly in part to my job as a night time driver. I can't afford to use Silver Stars. I burn 'em out in less than 2 weeks. I prefer white light bulbs and have tried most of 'em. Best I found to suit my needs are the Wagner TrueView (made by Federal Mogul). They run about $15/each. I get about 15-20k out of them. ONly place I have found 'em locally is NAPA Auto.
VibeDD

Post by VibeDD »

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I have the same problem. I have a bulb go out an average of once every 3 months. I've tried Sylvania, Hella, PIAA, Phillips...nothing makes a difference. Is there a TSB or known problem with Vibe electrical systems or something? I buy the cheapest lights I can find now.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Check the ground for the headlight harness, if you can find it... it really should be grounded to the body near the lights, I could be wrong.. Also, do you use dielectric grease when you put new ones in, on the connections? That's always a good idea with any electrical connection... Freshing up the contacts in the plugs wouldn't be a bad idea either.. a metal fingernail file can help here.. once that's done, some electric contact cleaner, then some compressed air to remove it, then some D-grease... all can halp that problem.. .
SublimeVibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by SublimeVibe »

I've had the same problem with my Vibe I tried the SS for 8 months and blew 3 of them went back to the OEMs and there still workin fine.So were lookin at more than 5 years with the OEM headlights.I'm maybe lookin at some HIDs but if the bulbs don't last whats the point right.
2003 VibeAWD Envy(sublime)wCharcoalPower pkg.Enkei EVO5 Hyper Black 07/08Vibe floor matsMud flaps Hood DeflectorLimo tint on rear and side windowsstainless steel insterts
VibeDD

Post by VibeDD »

well, just to give an update, i've been driving over 3 months with NAPA lights.
Whelan

Re: (VibeDD)

Post by Whelan »

Sylvania has switched around with suppliers that is a known fact, some come from Europe others from different countries in Asia where it is cheaper to make.Known fact that some Sylvania's are better than others quality wise.If your having such an issue, I would not put it completely on the fact that DRLs are on all the time. Lots of cars have them nowadays.A Typical regular lamp has a lifespan of 700-1000 hours. I hear people talking of Silverstars but he does not have them, he has OEM Sylvania bulbs. A silverstar for reference has a lifespan of 300 hours, so if you do a lot of night driving, SSs are not for you.I have had great success with HIRs. But they do not offer low beams for your car, only for 09+ Vibes and all year Matrix's. I would suggest looking into GE Nighthawks, they are good bulbs and last up to 100 hours. The light output is also slightly better than stock.You could also be having an electrical problem, whether it be from something shorting or a fault in the fuse panel, or even a relay. Question for this is do they burn out while they are on, or do they flash out or not come on during startup when they die?
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
joejoev

Re: (Whelan)

Post by joejoev »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »You could also be having an electrical problem, whether it be from something shorting or a fault in the fuse panel, or even a relay. Question for this is do they burn out while they are on, or do they flash out or not come on during startup when they die?Now that you bring it up, on a couple of occasions my driver side headlight has flashed out upon starting the car. I have also experienced the "not coming on during start up" a few times (both sides, but not simultaneously). And I've also have had 'em burn out while driving.