which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
jeffgtx

which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror?

Post by jeffgtx »

installing my old dimming mirror in my friedns vibe. something happened when i cut the wires ont he old mirror. i heard the fuse blow, but i cant for hte life of me find it.looked at every fuse in the underdash and engine compartment.any clues?thanksjeff
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
SuperSpeedWagon

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (jeffgtx)

Post by SuperSpeedWagon »

it should be under the dash if i remember correctly, i say check hem over again
2010 vibe gt
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

anyone??
JeffGTX's Shades Of Gray Pontiac Armada:Cool: 2008 Solstice GXP ConvertibleSly: 2009 Solstice GXP CoupeMaverick: 2009 G8 GXP
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ugh! If you've looked at every fuse, I dunno! I don't know of anywhere else it could be other than in those two blocks. Unless something else go pop! Logic would dictate it would be the fuse underhood that says DOME but if it's not, uhh... About all I can do is give you a diagram of all the fuses in case you don't have that handy.

Attached files fuses.pdf (46.9 KB) 
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jeffgtx

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (ColonelPanic)

Post by jeffgtx »

yea its that other thing go pop that i am owrried about.there are three fuses under the dash that are the big quare type. 30 30 and a 40. what are those?hopefully GMJAP isn't travelling and will come thru with a schematic.how upsetting, a 30 minute job is now two days.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

What all do you have in the car that doesn't work? That may give you a clue as to which circuit is hosed... It could always be the alarm module thingy or related wiring too, that ties into the dome lights and such so I'm sure it ties into those map lights as well for the auto-off battery saver thingamajig.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jeffgtx

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (ColonelPanic)

Post by jeffgtx »

nothing everything seems to be working as required. every fuse is inteact, but i heard the pop. is there a relay that could have blown?
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Does the power wire for the mirror have an inline fuse? I recently installed one (aftermarket) and both the power and memory wires had their own 5 amp fuses wired in. Is it a Pontiac mirror or aftermarket?
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Did someone say "schematic"? The map lamps run through the DOME fuse. If you friend dosn't have thepower package, there's not really anything else it could be. If he does, then it could have popped the timed ground (that shuts them off aftr 20min or so) in the MFAM.Have you got a voltmeter? If you can measure +12v on the supply side to ground (ex the dash lighter socket ring), that side's good. If you then can't measure 12v across the maplight wires, you know the ground side is hosed.Last I checked, the MFAM was a not-too-outrageous $45 from GMPartsDirect.

Attached files
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
jeffgtx

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (GMJAP)

Post by jeffgtx »

my hero!i dont have a voltmeter, is there another way? its not the dome fuse. i have looked at it 19 times, and its good. the dome light goes off when it ake it out and back on when i put it back.where is the MFAM? what else could not work if its blown?i have to leave tonight, so i might just have to bite the bullet and buy one and send it to him. is there a how to on replacing it?
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »i dont have a voltmeter, is there another way?Just use a 12v bulb & some wire (all easily available at Radio Shack) - if it lights up between the map light supply wire and the lighter socket gnd, you know the map lamps have got 12v. If the bulb then doesn't light across the map light wires, you know there's a problem with ground.Did you cut both wires at the same time? This could have effectively shorted 12v and ground, allowing a lot more current than the resistive bulb would, which would blow a transistor or other silicon switch before the fuse would go.Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »where is the MFAM? what else could not work if its blown?i have to leave tonight, so i might just have to bite the bullet and buy one and send it to him. is there a how to on replacing it?The MFAM is a white or greenish box on the underside of the dash fuseblock. I think it says "Toyota" in big molded letters on it.It's unlikely that the whole thing is blown, just the transistor or whatever device provides the switchable ground for the map lights. (So I don't think you'll find any other symptoms.)There is not, as far as I know, any how-to on replacing it here.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

i dont suppose the transistor itself is replaceable? oh well.yes i cut at the same time. wasn;t thinking. definately wasn't thinking.i have seen teh toothpaste box. doesn't look like it will be easy. funny thing is that he swears his 06 AWD did not turnt eh map lights off after 20 min.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »i dont suppose the transistor itself is replaceable? oh well.yes i cut at the same time. wasn;t thinking. definately wasn't thinking.i have seen teh toothpaste box. doesn't look like it will be easy. funny thing is that he swears his 06 AWD did not turnt eh map lights off after 20 min.Well, if he doesn't care if they are (turned off after 20min), you guys could probably save yourselves a lot of trouble and some $ by cutting the maplight wire to the MFAM and just grounding it. Boom, done.
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

so i installed the replacement integration relay and the mirror still does not function and the old one does not show any signs of a minor electrical pop. its the minty green box fyi.any new theories for my next trip to visit my friend and get his mirror working??
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

To me, the schematic appears to show that the ground goes to the MFAM, but also to chassis ground. If that's the case, I don't see how the MFAM is going to be able to turn off the map lights. In my 03, I know the map lights never turn off by themselves, and he schematic seems to show a constant, hardwired ground that also just happens to connect to the ground on the MFAM.If the dome lights come on when you open the door, then the DOME fuse is ok, no need to recheck it.So if the thing isn't getting power, then either there is a problem in the 12V or the ground. Can't say which, but if you don't have a meter, then use the lightbulb thing to try the 12V to the light to a known ground, and also try the map light ground to a known 12V to see which is not happy. where you been jeff?
jeffgtx

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (joatmon)

Post by jeffgtx »

wait, thats what i replaced (i think, the MFAM)... the mint green bix right?i will ask him abouyt the dome light. i cant remember if it came on at night or not.i have been hanging around i check here every once in a while to get the scoop on the 08 vibe. i am hoping for a version to rival the caliber SRT4 to drool over
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

the dome light works normally...now what?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the initial mirror was the one that had the map lights in it, and you cut those wires to reuse for the new mirror. Have you reconnected the original mirror and verified that it no longer works, and connected the new mirror and it too does not work? Have you have hooked both mirrors up to some other 12V source and verified that the mrrors are good?a multimeter would help, or make a test light like GMJAP said. Do the cut wires provide both 12V and ground? If not, which one is not what it is supposed to be?Assuming that you are able to determine which of the cut wires is not what it is supposed to be, then you'll need to trace them back to some other point and recheck them there. The 12V side goes to a connector on top of the underdash fuse block, there's a pic of that connector in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=27513. Here is a pinout of that connector. You could check for 12V on pin 3 and for a ground on pin 1, and if you had a meter you could check the wire itself for continuity. Without knowinig which of the wires is not providing the voltage it is supposed to, it's hard to know what to look at next.Since it's somebody else's car, you may want to trace back and fix the real cause of the problem. If the wires are goo, and the vitages are not coming out of the fuse block, it would be troubleshooting the fuse block or replacing it would be a huge task, at that point it would be a lot easier to just insulate the cut ends of the wires and run a new pair of wires from some other fused 12V and ground for the mirror. You can pop off the A pillar trim and run thenew wire up behind it, then just tuck the wires under the front of the headliner.Not knowing the internals of the old or new mirror, I would guess that the new mirror cares about polarity. I wouldn't think the OEM mirror does, but since you don't have a meter, are you sure you had the wire polarity correct when you hooked the mirror up tthe cut wires?

Attached files
jeffgtx

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror? (joatmon)

Post by jeffgtx »

i will try what you said on my next visit, but you need to keep one thing in mind... i shorted the two wires going to the old mirror with map lights. teh mirror was not connected at the time. i heard the pop. i knew what i did 2 seconds after i did it. but i thought it was a blown fuse. all fuses in both are clean and teh MFAM is new now and fine. i know the dimming mirror works, because it was mine and worked fine. i switched teh wires for polarity many times.i will need to take a multimeter with me next trip.i nee dto find where the pop came from since it was not the fuse. i was hoping the schematic would say where there were things that can pop in that path.
jeffgtx

Post by jeffgtx »

ok, i have given you guys a half a year to solve the problem i created with my stupidity. any new theories? i think i am resigned to just going up there and taking it to a shop and asking them to diagnose.on that note... anybody know a good shop in the salem OR area?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by jeffgtx »ok, i have given you guys a half a year to solve the problem ok jeff, we have given you a half a year to check out the wires and voltages with a multimeter ...
Speedwoble

Re: which fuse protects the map lights in the rear view mirror?

Post by Speedwoble »

Digging a thread up from the dead. I was putting a new LED bulb in my maplight on the rear view mirror and managed to short between the 2 terminals. I heard a pop and smelled the lovely electrical smell.
I didn’t find any fuses popped. I can confirm the rear view mirror lights are fed 12v from the 15a fuse under the hood that also feeds the daytime running lamps, dome lights, and radio. I.E. If that fuse is blown, none of those things work. Sitting in the driver seat, the Rt wire in the connector behind the mirror is 12v while the left appears to be ground. I show 6v between the terminals, but 12v between the Rt terminal(supposed to be 12v) and the cigarette lighter ground. Jumping between the Left(ground) and the cigarette lighter ground returns function to the map light.
This is telling me that I messed up the ground circuit.
I am going to try to find the MFAM relay and check the connector to it. Thanks to Gmjap for that pointer. My Haynes electrical schematic is not much help here and it doesn’t appear the schematic he attached is still here. Anyone have it?