Another battery light (charge system issue)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ERAY

Another battery light (charge system issue)

Post by ERAY »

2005 with a code 8 engine. The charging system light stays illuminated. I have had the battery and alternator tested at the parts store, both check out fine. The light is on as soon as the key is turned on, and stays on during start and while it is running. The other night, I started it, turned on the AC, lights, and brights. After about 5 minutes of running, it quit. Tied to start and just got click, click, click. The next morning I went out and it started right away, with no jump starting or anything. additional info... Ever since my son installed an audio system a few years back, the recirculate button had to be on with the AC, or you heard the chattering noise. A few days prior to noticing the charging system light, not knowing any better, I pulled off the A/C/fan speed etc panel. Reached inside and pushed on some of the air ducting and the chattering noise went away. (you no longer need to have recirculation on when the A/C is working). Don't know if that was related to the light coming on. I have since attempted to move/wiggle wire bundles in that area to try to extinguish the charge system light with no luck. Additionally, within the last few days, my automatic headlights have stopped coming on. Don't know if that is related to the charge light...The headlights still turn on manually. I have cleaned the positive and negative posts and cables and the 2 grounds from the battery's negative cable, going to the engine and frame. I replaced the Alternator during March of COVID 19 (16 months ago), the battery is almost 3 years old, purchased from a large department store with a 2 yr free replacement. The vehicle only has 289,900 miles and would like to keep it for another year or two. Thanks for any help
Caretaker

Re: Another battery light (charge system issue)

Post by Caretaker »

right up until the end of your note, my money was going to be on the alternator; still could be. The classic signs are when the car has been running for 20 minutes or more and the wires inside fail from overheating. The car then stalls and cannot be started again .....click, click, click.....until the wires cool down and miraculously the car starts. As a result of the jeckel and hyde cooling characteristics of the alternator, testing it will often show that it is "fine." As heat is the main cause of breakdowns in any engine, do check that your battery cells have plenty of distilled water. Assuming you have the two plastic covers to pop off of the battery, do be careful and wear some kind of glasses while cleaning and working around the acid.
ERAY

Post by ERAY »

Thank you, the alternator had been my first guess also. I will check the cell fluid levels.
ERAY

Post by ERAY »

After finding a post about checking the voltage, I just checked the battery, vehicle off with my multimeter and got 12,67 volts. I started the car with all electric devices off and read only12.28. with headlights, A/C and fan on dropped to 11.76. seems the alternator is not ... fine.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

sounds like the alternator.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

Another possibility but it is most likely the alt. is the OAD (overrunning alternator decoupler pulley). If this goes bad, you will not have the output from the alternator like it should. Of coarse the same thing can happen with a bad drive belt or tension-er.
ERAY

Post by ERAY »

Thanks to all for the info and advice. I took it in for another alternator check to a different auto part store after I did my multimeter checks. This time, as a sub line on their device, it said ...."diode failed".... So, I ordered another alternator and just put it in. Charging system light went away immediately. Also, the auto headlight function came back on. Wondering if Pontiac/Toyota engineered it to shut off the auto headlights to save battery if there was a charging problem? That would make sense....