06 Vibe Sputtering Start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Sinistar87

06 Vibe Sputtering Start

Post by Sinistar87 »

Hey everyone! Long time peruser, first time poster.

Anyway, I have an 06 Vibe Base AT FWD with a little over 185k on it. I've been having a weird intermittent starting issue for a while. In it's current state on a warm day with a cold engine, when starting it takes a little bit to start to which it stumbles to life like it's getting too much fuel or the like. If I shut it off and restart right away it's fine. I've replaced the intake manifold gasket, the MAF sensor with a Denso brand, the PVC valve, new Wix air filter, NGK coils and plugs, fuel injectors, and both upstream and downstream O2 sensors with Denso brand(as they threw a code). Also cleaned the throttle body when I replaced the intake manifold gasket. All of these parts have been replaced over the last year or so. No check engine light currently.

I'm mainly wondering what I should try next. Car runs great after it's started but gas mileage is down a bit. Replaced the air filter most recently(a few days ago) as it was overdue and haven't refueled again since to see if gas mileage has increased. Any help is appreciated.
CraftsmanQuad19

Re: 06 Vibe Sputtering Start

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Next time when the engine is cold, try cycling the key to run a few times before actually starting it to prime the fuel system. If it starts right up after that replace the fuel pressure regulator
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
jolt

Re: 06 Vibe Sputtering Start

Post by jolt »

It is most likely the fuel pressure regulator or a weak fuel pump from what you describe and all the parts you have already replaced. The Vibe \ Matrix fuel system is a little different in that the fuel system does not build pressure by turning the key off and on. The fuel pump will turn on when the ECU see's an engine RPM of more then 450 RPM's. Turning the ignition key on and off will not send voltage to the fuel pump and there for not build any fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If you have the proper equipment, you can test the fuel pressure and check for a fuel pressure drop over night. This will confirm if the issue is the regulator or weak fuel pump. A normal fuel pressure tester will not hook up to the Vibe as it has no Schrader valve to hook the gauge to. A special adapter is needed to hook up the fuel pressure gauge.

The fuel pressure regulator is in the gas tank and is removed with the fuel pump. If you are going to replace the fuel regulator, I would recommend you replace the fuel pump too. The labor that it takes would be the same and with that many miles the fuel pump would be due to be changed anyways as that would be the next thing to go bad in your fuel system. Just buy the whole unit - pump and regulator - and replace it.