Replacement Outer Tie Rod End Boot Retainer Springs?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
schwartzy18510

Replacement Outer Tie Rod End Boot Retainer Springs?

Post by schwartzy18510 »

I'm just wrapping up a rebuild of the front end on my '03 Vibe Base FWD model with the 1.8L and automatic transmission. It all started with dropping the catalytic converter exhaust pipe to replace the leaking donut gaskets on either end. This led to my deciding to finally tackle the replacement of my leaking power steering rack that I've been putting off for years, since the cat-back pipe has to be dropped to do so.

Our Vibe has 178K miles on it currently, of which we have put on 87K with no steering/suspension items replaced. This, combined with the overlap in labor involved to drop the sub-frame and power steering rack, low replacement part costs from Rock Auto, and the fact that I'll need an alignment after replacing the rack as it is, convinced me to take the opportunity to replace the sway bar bushings, end links, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, and struts while I was there.

My problem is that my replacement outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto (SKP SES3306) arrived with the dust boots loose on the tie rod end shaft, without any circlips / boot retainer springs on the upper and lower ends to hold it in position. This is the first such outer tie rod end I've ever seen without them, and I can't imagine the boot will remain seated or seal out debris without them.

Both the Rock Auto and SKP product catalog listings and product images appear to illustrate that the tie rods come with boot retaining springs:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... &jsn=11238

https://skywardautomotive.com/product-catalog/

I contacted Rock Auto and asked them to clarify if I received two incomplete tie rod ends or if all SKP SES3306 tie rod ends ship this way, and they were unable to confirm/deny. They did ship me a replacement set, which unfortunately arrived in the same condition as the first.

This vehicle is my family's daily driver, and my wife is antsy to have it back up and running. The circlips on my original tie rod ends are extremely rusted and will likely break if I attempt to remove and reuse them. I can't seem to source aftermarket / one-size-fits-all circlips or boot retainer springs anywhere online. Is anyone aware of where I can obtain them?
2003 Salsa Red Vibe Base Model
1.8L 1ZZ-FE, FWD, AT, 190K Miles
*Unresolved Vibration at Idle*
Jbenrod

Re: Replacement Outer Tie Rod End Boot Retainer Springs?

Post by Jbenrod »

I don't know where you can get just the clips. However, sometimes you have to admit something isn't correct and cut your loses as soon as possible. I think this is one of those times. I would box them all up and send them back and get a different set from RockAuto or locally. Yes it's frustrating the postage will be almost as much as these parts and this is not right (RockAuto probably could care less) but for this big of a project you want to have it done right the first time.

If you just really can't wait I understand that too. In that case you might get some fine copper wire and twist it around both ends. That is mickey mouse, but it's a better option than what they sent you.

Let us know more about how it all turns out because many of us will be needing to do one or more of the same on the front end. We will all know now to avoid that SKP brand of Tie Rod Ends.
2005 Base - 220k
schwartzy18510

Post by schwartzy18510 »

Thanks for weighing in, Jbenrod. I agree with you on all counts. I checked some prices on parts available locally, and they came in around $45-60 apiece. The SKP units were about $5 each from Rock Auto, with many other brands available in the $5-15 price range. I ended up placing another order from Rock Auto for a different brand (Mevotech GES3713) with a 5-year warranty:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 957&jsn=12

I originally chose the SKP SES3306 tie rod ends because I've had solid experiences with SKP parts in the past, they were powder coated whereas most other comparable units are simply painted (rust is a big problem here in Michigan), and they were greaseable whereas most others in a similar price range are not.

The Mevotech GES3713's are sealed units and are only painted instead of powder coated, but they do have a better warranty (5 years vs. 1). They're supposed to arrive early this coming week, we'll see what they look like when they show up.

I have contacted Skyward Automotive Products (SKP) directly to get their input on the matter, but don't necessarily expect a timely response. I will update here when I hear back from them for sake of others in future, as I still believe the SKP outer tie rod ends offer a good feature set for the price point due to their powder coating and greaseability.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I wasn't even aware there were clamps on the boots for the outer tie rod ends. :o I don't recall if there was anything like that on the original tie rod ends, really the only thing I noticed was how ripped up the boots were.

I went with the ACDelco Professionals from Rock Auto. Didn't notice anything holding the boots on those. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Are you referring to the ball joint portion boot of the outer tie rod not having a retainer spring? I don't think I've ever looked at them close enough to determine if there is one or not...

But if you're referring to the inner tie rod boot, I just use zip ties to hold the boot in place.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
schwartzy18510

Post by schwartzy18510 »

ColonelPanic wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm I wasn't even aware there were clamps on the boots for the outer tie rod ends. :o I don't recall if there was anything like that on the original tie rod ends, really the only thing I noticed was how ripped up the boots were.

I went with the ACDelco Professionals from Rock Auto. Didn't notice anything holding the boots on those. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I believe the outer tie rod ends I'm replacing are original, and they definitely have a (rusty!) circlip holding the upper end of the boot in place. The ACDelco Professionals you linked to don't appear to have any circlips, but the design of the boot also appears to be slightly different and looks to be designed for a compression-fit.
zbyers wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:05 am Are you referring to the ball joint portion boot of the outer tie rod not having a retainer spring? I don't think I've ever looked at them close enough to determine if there is one or not...

But if you're referring to the inner tie rod boot, I just use zip ties to hold the boot in place.
I am indeed referring to the ball joint portion of the outer tie rod end. I'd post a few photos to clear up any confusion on what I'm referring to if the forum hosted them directly. Since that's not an option, you can view exactly what I'm talking about via the two Rock Auto product links posted earlier in the thread — Look closely and you'll see that the SKP boots have black circlips on top and bottom, while the Mevotech has black on blue circlips that are easier to see at a glance.
jolt

Post by jolt »

When you look at the pictures from RockAuto and look at the stem from the tie rod, you will see that the rubber boot covers most of the tapper on the stem. When installed, the tapped will be up into the spindle arm. This will compress the rubber boot, sealing both sides of the rubber boot. The wire clips for the most parts are just added insurance and not required for most cars. The clips also prevent the rubber boot from falling off or being lost before the parts are installed. Did you try installing the tie rod end and see if the rubber boot is compressed between the spindle arm and the rod end?

The ends could also be package with the wrong rubber boots. In this case the rubber will not be compressed when installed and the joint can become contaminated. Do not use joints if the boots do no seal by compression when installed.