2009 Base Vibe Front Brake Caliper Bracket

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ktmsd999

2009 Base Vibe Front Brake Caliper Bracket

Post by ktmsd999 »

I'm having trouble locating the correct front brake caliper mounting bracket for my 2009 Base Vibe 2.4L FWD.
I had pin freeze up and decided to just get new brackets.
I went to 4 different name brand auto parts places; granted I could be very unlucky and have picked the worse guy in each store.
Store #1: handed me 2009 bracket - bolt pattern didn't line up, told me it might be a 2008 part that was on my 2009 vehicle
Store #2: didn't have anything in stock but verified the part numbers from the previous store
Store #3: handed me a 2008 bracket - bolt pattern lined up, but the rest of the bracket didn't look quite right
Store #4: didn't have any brackets in stock but did have some 2009 caliper/bracket assemblies. handed me the part and the bolt pattern lined up and the bracket looked correct.

When I went to install the new bracket I found it was about 1/4" too narrow and wouldn't fit over the rotor. Looking at the old one, is when I discovered the new one was too narrow.

I decided to take another run at removing the guide bushing pin and just rebuilding the old bracket. Heat was the key and I'm back on my way.

I'm still baffled as to what part I physically have on my vehicle.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm ok for now, but when I go to replace my calipers in the future, I'm sure I'll run into the same issues.
Thanks,
J
andrewclaus

Re: 2009 Base Vibe Front Brake Caliper Bracket

Post by andrewclaus »

I've had good luck with part numbers from this site:http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/us/200 ... dust-cover

Input your VIN and see what comes up.
ktmsd999

Post by ktmsd999 »

Thanks a ton!
ktmsd999

Post by ktmsd999 »

I tried the VIN but it didn't recognize it on this Toyota site. How did you do your search? I tried to do a manual search for a 2009 Matrix instead of Vibe, but when it started asking for Frame Code and Characteristic, I didn't know what to select. I have a 2009 Base Vibe 2.4L FWD
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Honestly, look it up using the GT and/or AWD. Those also use the same 2.4L engine and probably use the same front brakes.

It's more likely that the people at the parts stores are putting in the 1.8L as that was more common in the base models than the 2.4L.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ktmsd999

Post by ktmsd999 »

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
jolt

Post by jolt »

As far as I know for the 2009 and 2010 Vibes, the front have two different calipers. One for the 1.8L and one for the 2.4L equipped cars. The rear has three different calipers. One for the AWD and GT cars, one for the standard 1.8L cars, and one for the standard 2.4L cars. The odd or hard to get rear caliper is the the one for the 2.4L standard Vibe.
ktmsd999

Post by ktmsd999 »

Sorry guys, I gave up on finding the correct front mounting bracket and just decided to get the torch out and rebuild the one I have. Hard to believe 4 different auto parts stores didn't have the correct bracket. I'm sure most thought I didn't have the correct VIN that I gave them. Not sure what is on this car, but the rebuild went smoothly and it's back on the road.