Vibration when accelerating, and buzzing at various rpms

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
rgnjc

Vibration when accelerating, and buzzing at various rpms

Post by rgnjc »

So I've been trying to track down 2 issues I've been having with my 2005 AWD ever since my tranny blew up last year (which was replaced). I've had a number of drivetrain related issues since then. To summarize: I've replaced all 4 CV axles (front ones were clicking and the rears had play and seals were leaking so I replaced them too). I also replaced the center support bearing/bracket since the rubber donut was brittle and cracked. For each wheel, I've inspected all the ball joints and tie rods, and they all seem snug (no play in anything). The car also has 4 new tires. I also replaced whiny bearings in the viscous coupler.

Problem 1: Above 65 mph I have some vibration when accelerating, and it is prominent when going uphill. I cant tell where the vibration is coming from though. I suspect possibly the U joints on the drive shaft, and I will inspect them for play. Are there any other possible sources of a vibration? When I replaced the center support bracket/bearing, I kind of eyeballed it when reinstalling and have since been worried that its not aligned straight. Anything else I should inspect? If it is either the front or rear U joints on the drive shaft, where can i get replacements? The typical places (autozone, advance, NAPA, rockauto) dont seem to have direct fits. Does anybody have any part numbers or recommendations?

Problem 2: There is a prominent buzzing at high rpms. It sounds like a loose heat shield, but I've inspected all of them. I took the car back to AAMCO (they did the trans) and they said it is coming from the catalytic converter. If I accelerate to 3-4k rpms in park or neutral, I can reproduce the noise. I haven't verified it was the cat myself though since I can't listen underneath by myself while revving. My question is, what is the best solution for repairing or replacing the cat? Are there any cheaper options other than replacing the entire exhaust/cat, which can run in excess of $500? I was thinking of maybe looking for used exhaust parts, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any advice? This may have to wait, at least until I solve the vibration issue.
2005 Vibe base AWD w/ M&T, 191k miles (as of 8/2022)
2007 Vibe base FWS w/ M&T, 150k miles (as of 8/2022)
jolt

Re: Vibration when accelerating, and buzzing at various rpms

Post by jolt »

Bent rim, out of round rim, bent hub or flange where wheel mounts. Bad motor mounts. Does the vibration change if you are turning from side to side when it is vibrating. Need more info about when it happens and what can change the vibration ( make it worse or lessen it ). What RPM is the engine at? Does it do it in 3rd gear? Front and rear wheel alignment?

And I just got to throw this in for a laugh; With a car named Vibe, what do you expect?
rgnjc

Post by rgnjc »

Hah I never saw the irony of it being a Vibe!

All tires are new and had an alignment done when I got them, I can only suppose the tire place would've said something if the rim was bent. I inspected all motor mounts, and they look fine as far as I can see (this was my initial suspicion). When banking left or right, it doesn't change, its a constant vibration as long as I'm accelerating. I think the vibration occurs at around 2.5-3.5k rpms in 3rd when I'm accelerating above 65mph. If I put the car in neutral at this speed, the vibration goes away, and will come back when putting it back into drive. This is what made me suspect something with the drivetrain, rather than the wheels/alignment.

Without jacking the car up, I took a half assed look at the drive shaft U joints. The front U joint where it goes into the transfer case had a very minor amount of play in it. I really need to get it up on ramps to take a better look at that though. I dont know if there is an acceptable amount of wiggle, but I'm assuming any amount of play is bad when it comes to U joints.
2005 Vibe base AWD w/ M&T, 191k miles (as of 8/2022)
2007 Vibe base FWS w/ M&T, 150k miles (as of 8/2022)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

rgnjc wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:20 pm All tires are new and had an alignment done when I got them, I can only suppose the tire place would've said something if the rim was bent.
Ha, you are funny. Kinda like when the tire store cross threaded two of my wheel studs and gave me the car back. When I went to Pep Boys to get an akebono brake job, they of course "stepped in the poo on the porch." I had them document everything. I went back to the offending tire store and demanded they pay my bill for two new studs. I wouldn't leave until they did and they did.