2009 Vibe hesitates and hard shift into 2nd

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bkretzer

2009 Vibe hesitates and hard shift into 2nd

Post by bkretzer »

When I start driving from a stop, my 2009 vibe 1.8L (automatic transmission) hesitates and then harshly shifts into second gear. It also sometimes shifts hard back into 2nd or 3rd when I stomp on the gas while driving. I've been driving it like this for quite a while. The transmission fluid looks clean. Any ideas what it could be? An issue with the ECM or could I need an entirely new transmission?

Thanks
Caretaker

Re: 2009 Vibe hesitates and hard shift into 2nd

Post by Caretaker »

Let's start with the simple and work towards the difficult.
1. When was the transmission fluid changed? Depending on your miles, you should be on about your third transmission flush/exchange by now. Toyota has discovered that their 100,000 miles per transmission fluid change interval with World Standard fluid is a bunch of crap. Their technicians have solved a lot of problems by moving the interval back to 60,000 miles per fluid change.
2. Is the fluid a nice bright cherry color?
3. What type of fluid was put in? Our owner's manual incorrectly state Toyota Type IV which is wrong for the second generation Vibe. Ours requires World Standard or a WS synthetic equivalent.
4. If all is well with the tranny fluid changes, when was the last time you changed out your spark plugs and ignition coils?
5. If the spark plugs and ignition coils were replaced, what brand were they replaced with? Cheap after market plugs and coils are a BIG mistake with Japanese engines.

Let us know your mileage and whether you are the original or the 8th owner of the vehicle.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I don't have anything to add, other than Caretaker is leading you down the right path with his inquiries.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
bkretzer

Post by bkretzer »

It has 176,000 miles on it. It's kind of embarrassing but I think I only changed the trans fluid once, if that. The color is a goldish clear, but not black. Is there any chance this could be fixed with a trans fluid flush and change or would you say I caused permanent damage with my lack of maintenance?
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

No, all hope is not lost. If your fluid is not bright cherry red and/or you don't know when the last time it was done, then that is the place to start and is certainly worth attempting a fresh fluid repair. Since you have not done regular 60,000 mile flushes, DO NOT attempt a power flush. For you, it will have to be a gentle fluid exchange via drain and fill, drain and fill, drain and fill. And yes, if you are the original owner of all 176,000 miles and have not done fluid changes, I would certainly expect the massive amounts of heat to have created some sticky varnish to the sides of the interior of the transmission. Kinda like lead in water pipes: if it stays stuck to the walls, then you buy yourself another day. Should any of it dislodge, then trouble will follow soon after
bkretzer

Post by bkretzer »

So with the slow drain and fill method, the old and new fluids won’t mix together in the process? I just drain until the flow slows and then add some new, and more old will be pushed out and repeat?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

It sounds a little strange that the color is gold. It starts off red then gets darker from there, turning brown.

Be sure you're checking the fluid with a warm engine. Drive at least ten minutes to get it up to operating temp. Check with engine idling. Check the color on a clean white towel.

Drive a while between fluid changes, a week or more. You're only able to drain about three quarts from a total capacity of eight quarts or so. You're mixing and diluting the old stuff in there. Do the drain and fill until you get a clean red color. You may want to drop the pan too, and change the filter, first drain only. It's not that hard or expensive on this car. Make sure you get the right gasket--count the bolts to be sure.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Think of it like your engine oil. For example, you have not done an (engine) oil change in a very long time. There is still plenty of oil in the crankcase, but the viscosity and oil additives/lubricants have long ago dissipated and are no longer serving any function. The old oil in there is just helping to hold some of the dirt in suspension, and sloshing that dirt around to critical parts. With the dirt present, the high internal temperatures have the ability to encrust the dirt, "frying" it to the sides of whatever the dirt will stick to. Now with the transmission, the same applies. As such, you no longer can do an aggressive "flush" of the entire system, which normally would remove even dirty tranny fluid sitting atop the transmission housing. Following what AC said, you will indeed be mixing new fluid in with the old until ultimately there is much more new than old, with fresh conditioners properly lubricating the internal parts. By dropping the pan as AC stated, there are magnets attached which do a poor job but do make an attempt to capture any large metal shavings which have broken loose. So it is well worth dropping the pan to clear any of the "big" debris. Hopefully after you do 3 drain and fills, you will see some improvement in your shifting woes. Let us know.