Cold Start Sound

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
printerfire

Cold Start Sound

Post by printerfire »

My Vibe makes a sound when I start it sometimes. I've noticed it usually only happens when I cold start. If I start it again after it made the sound, it won't make the sound again. I'm starting to suspect it may be a camshaft gear problem? To be honest, idk jack (removed) about cars but I guess I'm trying to prepare for a $1000 fix lol. this video sounds a lot like it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSafiPtq_OI though with mine it's much less loud.

Anybody have any similar problems? If so what did it end up being? I know I'm going to have to take it to a mechanic at some point. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the forum
Caretaker

Re: Cold Start Sound

Post by Caretaker »

Yes, while I'd admit you have a lower pitch than the "normal" bendix gear malfunction inside the starter (which is a lot more scratchy), if you have never had your starter replaced - knowing that these Denso starters have a long history of failure over many japanese models - please start (no pun intended) with replacing the starter. It is a lot cheaper to say the least and is a wearable item that will have to be replaced at some point anyway. I have had both the actuator and original starter replaced. GM did the cam actuator at no cost to me, but it did not solve my problem. I now live in a hot climate all year round and even my second starter, replaced 7 years ago, is making noises again on ultra humid mornings at the day's first turn of the key.
printerfire

Re: Cold Start Sound

Post by printerfire »

Caretaker wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:03 am Yes, while I'd admit you have a lower pitch than the "normal" bendix gear malfunction inside the starter (which is a lot more scratchy), if you have never had your starter replaced - knowing that these Denso starters have a long history of failure over many japanese models - please start (no pun intended) with replacing the starter. It is a lot cheaper to say the least and is a wearable item that will have to be replaced at some point anyway. I have had both the actuator and original starter replaced. GM did the cam actuator at no cost to me, but it did not solve my problem. I now live in a hot climate all year round and even my second starter, replaced 7 years ago, is making noises again on ultra humid mornings at the day's first turn of the key.
Hey thanks for the reply. Very informative and to be honest, relieves some of my anxiety when it comes to the ol' vibe! cheers m8