Front end vibration on turns

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
theblurb

Front end vibration on turns

Post by theblurb »

An update on my fix. I had the shop replace my left front wheel bearing for $100 in parts, $250 labour (Cdn dollars). Drives like a dream now. Thanks for the input everyone.
Last edited by theblurb on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewclaus

Re: Front end vibration on turns

Post by andrewclaus »

Loose/worn ball joint, tie rod, control arm bushing, extremely worn wheel bearing.... A local alignment/brake shop should be able to give you an inspection and estimate.

This could cause you to loose control, and if something breaks it could be dangerous.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Does it vibrate all the time or only while accelerating? Could be bad CV axles!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

It's definitely a front-end issue like @tpollauf @andrewclaus kindly suggest. I'm just wondering if this might be a known issue of the Vibe?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

theblurb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 amI'm just wondering if this might be a known issue of the Vibe?
It is not a known issue, nor is it "common." You likely have SOMETHING worn out in the front end. It sounds like it's probably a bad wheel bearing, if the tone changes when turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLmnFy12mKI
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

zbyers wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:13 am
theblurb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:00 amI'm just wondering if this might be a known issue of the Vibe?
It is not a known issue, nor is it "common." You likely have SOMETHING worn out in the front end. It sounds like it's probably a bad wheel bearing, if the tone changes when turning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLmnFy12mKI
Great idea, I’ll check this out. Thanks
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

Has anyone had success replacing a front wheel bearing on the Vibe? Or replacing the entire steering knuckle assembly (which seems easier, if such a pre-assembled part exists)? A shop charge on this would likely be out-of-budget!
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I just did mine last fall. I ordered the bearing and a socket for the axle nut, got both for around $40 as I recall. I sprayed nuts and bolts with penetrating oil the night before. Everything came apart fine. I took the knuckle to a local tire shop and they pressed the bearing in for $40. I called around to find a shop with the right press--not every shop has it. The parts stores didn't. I put new struts in on both sides too as long as I was there. I have not gotten an alignment yet--it's been driving perfectly. I'll do that next time I need tire work.

I looked at new knuckles briefly and couldn't find a good deal on one at that time. There wasn't a good local salvage option. I'm happy with my result.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

theblurb wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am Has anyone had success replacing a front wheel bearing on the Vibe? Or replacing the entire steering knuckle assembly (which seems easier, if such a pre-assembled part exists)? A shop charge on this would likely be out-of-budget!
Moog sells preassembled hub assemblies. They're like $150 on RockAuto. To me, it was worth paying that to replace it. When the parts to do it separately can run $50, and then I need to go to a shop to press it out is another $50.. Plus driving into town... Only thing it doesn't come with is a new ball joint. I'd replace the ball joints while you're at it, and make sure you spray down the castle nut on the tie rod end multiple times to help free it up.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:09 am I just did mine last fall. I ordered the bearing and a socket for the axle nut, got both for around $40 as I recall. I sprayed nuts and bolts with penetrating oil the night before. Everything came apart fine. I took the knuckle to a local tire shop and they pressed the bearing in for $40. I called around to find a shop with the right press--not every shop has it. The parts stores didn't. I put new struts in on both sides too as long as I was there. I have not gotten an alignment yet--it's been driving perfectly. I'll do that next time I need tire work.

I looked at new knuckles briefly and couldn't find a good deal on one at that time. There wasn't a good local salvage option. I'm happy with my result.
A decent cost option for sure. Great to hear, thanks!
theblurb

Post by theblurb »

zbyers wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:21 am
theblurb wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am Has anyone had success replacing a front wheel bearing on the Vibe? Or replacing the entire steering knuckle assembly (which seems easier, if such a pre-assembled part exists)? A shop charge on this would likely be out-of-budget!
Moog sells preassembled hub assemblies. They're like $150 on RockAuto. To me, it was worth paying that to replace it. When the parts to do it separately can run $50, and then I need to go to a shop to press it out is another $50.. Plus driving into town... Only thing it doesn't come with is a new ball joint. I'd replace the ball joints while you're at it, and make sure you spray down the castle nut on the tie rod end multiple times to help free it up.
I like this option, and I found the parts through RockAuto. BUT it’s not cheap... $575 CAN shipped for both front wheels. I’m sure I can save a little on the $85 shipping by sourcing it in Canada. At least gas is cheap right now!