Problem with battery consistently dying

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
MrManager

Problem with battery consistently dying

Post by MrManager »

This started last fall, I've had my Vibe for about 5 years now (This is the first real issue i've had!)

The car wouldn't start, that's okay I figured the battery was done since I never changed it, and who knows how old it was.

This worked and the car started up fine. About a month later (December) I noticed some mornings starting the car was a bit more taxing on it. A few days/week after that the car died again. AAA came and jumped it as well as tested it and the rest of the system. They said the battery was bad, alternator was fine, and so it seemed that I just had bad luck with batteries. Took it back and got another one.

This past week it's tough to start but does. Yesterday my neighbor had to help me jump the car. Once they did car ran perfectly fine. After work I came home and started checking fuses, all were okay under the hood.

The odd parts:
- I went to check under the dash, and the fuse box there looks different than what is in my manual. Instead of having a few off to the side (26 and 27 I believe) the box is just a straight 2 rows of fuse and fuse slots.

- I went to start it today.
- Doors unlock remotely
- Dome light functions as i open the door
- Dash, gauges and radio light up when I insert the key
- As soon as I turn the key, it all goes and the car turns once. No juice. Take the key out and they all come back.
- While i have the key in (car not running) waiting for my ultragauge to boot up the radio and clock cuts out. Gauges still lit up but no juice to the radio.

The part I'm now very curious about is the fuse box not matching what is in my manual.

I'm at a complete loss with this. I've check the other threads similar to this but still nothing.

This is under the dash
2009 Vibe GT
Caretaker

Re: Problem with battery consistently dying

Post by Caretaker »

That manual is so bogus with some major errors. It probably says that you should not insert any bulb higher than 60 watts into your fuse box. I too had intermittent starting issues. And even when two places said my alternator tested fine, I demanded that it be replaced. It was the alternator. Good luck finding your gremlin.
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

Caretaker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am That manual is so bogus with some major errors. It probably says that you should not insert any bulb higher than 60 watts into your fuse box. I too had intermittent starting issues. And even when two places said my alternator tested fine, I demanded that it be replaced. It was the alternator. Good luck finding your gremlin.
I'm reluctantly considering the alternator. I may replace the positive battery cables first before I go that route. I had an old Camaro where I replaced the alternator. That replacement ended up shorting out my car and caused it to sit for a few months. So I'm sure it is possible. This drain has to be somewhere.

For the radio fuse, which one would it be?
2009 Vibe GT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Do you have a multimeter? If so, hook it up to the battery while it's running to see what the alternator is putting out. Should be somewhere around 13 volts. I can't remember the exact range.

You could also use the multimeter to hook it up to the battery and fuse box, and start pulling fuses one-by-one to determine if you have a parasitic draw.

My gut would lead me to say a bad ground (battery terminals corroded or similar) or the alternator isn't charging the battery.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'd expect a good alternator to be putting out 14V

Looks like the 09 matrix uses the same under dash fuse block, and the 09 Matrix owner's manual has the same wrong fuse block diagram.
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

zbyers wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:32 am Do you have a multimeter? If so, hook it up to the battery while it's running to see what the alternator is putting out. Should be somewhere around 13 volts. I can't remember the exact range.

You could also use the multimeter to hook it up to the battery and fuse box, and start pulling fuses one-by-one to determine if you have a parasitic draw.

My gut would lead me to say a bad ground (battery terminals corroded or similar) or the alternator isn't charging the battery.
I don't, but when AAA came to jump it, they checked everything and the alternator was reading/running fine.

Possible Update

I have an Ultragauge that I would use for fuel mileage as well as checking/clearing engine codes. It's about 8 years old. I unplugged it and have been seeing how the car has been acting the last week. I've had no instances of the battery dying, or lack of juice when using the remote to unlock the doors.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it and see if there's anything else that happens
2009 Vibe GT