Ignition key doesnt turn

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
cptnsolo77

Ignition key doesnt turn

Post by cptnsolo77 »

As the topic states. Its not because the steering wheel is in the wrong position. I started using the spare and it has been working for the past 2 days but the key didnt turn today. I also took some compressed air blew out the key hole, and lightly lubed the keyhole with lithium grease using the key. Im guessing the ignition CYLINDER LOCK is worn ? First time I ever heard of this one. If thats the case i hope its not hard/expensive to replace :roll:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
jolt

Re: Ignition key doesnt turn

Post by jolt »

Everything wears out, it is just a matter of time. Most people do not lubricate their keys and tumblers so they do wear out. I have had to replace a couple key assemblies in my life time because of being worn out. By the time they get to the point yours is at, there just isn't a lot you can do but replace the thing.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Yeah...I never had a car this long ( 13 years ) and weird things start to wear out. I would have never thought ignition key/lock assembly :lol: I thought I was ok with my spare key...but then the spare key got stuck once....I was like...oh...must be the cylinder. Damn :roll:
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The only time I ever had that happen was when there was a load on the steering wheel. If the wheel was turned, and offering an effort to move to a different position when the key was removed, then there is torque on the wheel pushing against the mechanism that locks the steering wheel in place. This can happen regardless of the absolute position of the steering wheel. To see if that's what's happening, try turning the wheel back and forth a bit while trying to turn the key. the wheel should move a bit back and forth with the key locked, but you'll feel its hard to turn the wheel one way compared to the other. If so turn the wheel in the direction that is harder to take the load off the lock mechanism.

And yeah, I figure you already knew that, but was compelled to say it anyway.

Why did you start using the spare a few days ago?

Try pushing and pulling the key in and out of the lock a very small amount to see if you can trick the tumblers.

Or try putting the other side of the key up.

Do the keys still work fine in the doors?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Seems to be better after I lubed the keyhole. Now its more intermittent with old and new keys. Maybe it will totally clear up with a lil time. If it gets worse I will just replace the tumbler. I found a couple of vids on how to replace ( easy ) and the assembly is inexpensive. No biggie...I just needed a lil feedback to see if I was on the right track. Thx ! 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

It's always better when you lube the keyhole!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
zbyers wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:05 am It's always better when you lube the keyhole!
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs