is it the vvti rattle, starter, or something else?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
epoxypatch

is it the vvti rattle, starter, or something else?

Post by epoxypatch »

1.8L 2010 Vibe 5spd 2ZR-FE engine only 65k miles

Rattle noise only happens on the first cold start after sitting for more than 2 hours. Can someone tell by the noise if its the VVti rattle (cam phaser) problem found in the corollas or is it something else? Thanks in advance! No codes, car runs fine.

https://vimeo.com/390413930
Caretaker

Re: is it the vvti rattle, starter, or something else?

Post by Caretaker »

I hate to say it, but that was a very "gentle" noise. The bendix gear in the Denso starter, when it fails, sounds a lot louder and scratchier than the audio you provided us. GM replaced my actuator for free one year and it did nothing. I'm glad they did not take me for my money as they have so many others. I don't have any expertese on what happens to your engine if you let this slide for a little while. To me, if the actuator is failing, I would think it would happen with regularity. The failing Denso starter happens mainly on cold mornings and especially damp cold mornings. If you have never had it replaced, knowing that millions of Toyotas/Scion/Vibe vehicles have had this problem, I do hope it is the starter and not the actuator.
epoxypatch

Post by epoxypatch »

so.. should I just replace the starter anyways? It doesn't seem very difficult and I can get a decent used one for $50
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I don't normally recommend surgery as a first course of action but if you know how to do it yourself, I don't see much harm. Our Denso starters seem to be plagued with this bendix gear grinding issue. The Toyota and Honda boards are full of people complaining. While there does seem to be some continual issues with the VTC actuator not getting proper oil at startup, with Honda attempting to redesign the part, from what I've read, dealerships are quick to diagnose the VTC as the issue, only to revel in charging your wallet $900-$1200 to replace it even without concrete evidence that the actuator is the part making the noise. So my take is that I would replace a "simple" starter first, since again, our Denso starters seem to be plagued with the bendix gear issue anyway. Installing a used one may not be the best course of action however since that same used one carries the same defective gene.
epoxypatch

Post by epoxypatch »

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to source out a 2014 or newer denso starter for this engine (all the newer corolla's have it). Hopefully they've fixed the 'defective gene' by 2014.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about "defective". Despite what some people think, they're really not lifetime parts. I have yet to own a car that I _didn't_ replace the starter at least once, and sometimes more than that. My 03 was on its third starter when I passed it along, and my 07 needs me to replace the starter. It seems to be about a 100-150,000 mile part, no matter what the brand of car.