loose idler pully on A/c

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
hardyman1014

loose idler pully on A/c

Post by hardyman1014 »

On Thanksgiving my 2010 vice started making a weird rattle, when driving, parked and when starting. replaced the serpentine belt yesterday and noticed the idler pully on the A/C is loose and wobbly. does anyone know if there is a way to tighten this or do you need to replace the whole compressor? if it can be tightened how? I can not see any bolt holding the pully on.
zbyers

Re: loose idler pully on A/c

Post by zbyers »

This website has a few pictures of the AC compressor and associated pulley. There is one screw holding the compressor clutch on, then usually a snap ring holding the pulley on. I'd find it weird for it to be that, but I've heard of stranger things.

https://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/201 ... CLEALw_wcB

It could very well be the actual idler pulley that is dead.

Also to note: the AC Compressor may be different on the 1.8L and 2.4L engines on the 2009/2010.

The matrix one will also be different than the Vibe one. The HVAC system is the one thing that was unqiue to each manufacturer.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
hardyman1014

Post by hardyman1014 »

ok after looking at the link you posted.. I am thinking it isn't the A/C.. it is the middle pully.. below the alt. would that just be an idler pully, and if so is it possible to tighten it?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

This is the belt layout for the 2.4L, 2AZ

https://cars-fault.blogspot.com/2015/01 ... -belt.html

The one to the left of the alternator and AC compressor (very bottom) would be your water pump. The grooved one to the left of that is the belt tensioner assembly pulley.

Then in the very back you have the power steering pulley. and the big one on the bottom left is the crank.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
hardyman1014

Post by hardyman1014 »

the 2010 vibe just has crank, then A/c on the bottom, water pump in the middle and alt on top, it doesn't have a tensioner. needless to say I just found out the hard way it was water pump, as it seized up on me, thanks to info tho and the quick response with trying to help.
jolt

Post by jolt »

There is no tightening a loose pulley, something is bad and needs to be replaced as you have found out. There are differences in the 1.8L and 2.4L engine and you do not state which one you have. The 2009 and 2010 Vibes do not have power steering pumps as they use electric motor steering assist for the power steering. Some have different tension systems for the belt and that depends on where the Vibes engine was built. Some have a spring loaded tension-er pulley, that you can find at places like Rockauto Parts, and others use a bolt to tension the alternator as seen here at this link: http://www.originalmechanic.com/2015/10 ... n-18l.html So do not be shocked if the info you are seeing is different then what you have.

While you are changing the water pump, you will may want to change out the antifreeze, thermostat, hoses, and belt because most of these items you will have loose or off anyways and if the water pump is bad, these other parts don't have long to go either. Watch when re-filling the coolant system so that you get all the air worked out of it. One of these works great : https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spil ... 00A6AS6LY/ just check to make sure it fits your engine and also watch the videos at Amazon on how to use it.