Timing Chain

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
jo98

Timing Chain

Post by jo98 »

Hi All! Newb to the site (also on the other as well). Wondering if anyone has ever replaced timing chain? I think the tensioner on my daughters 09 Vibe 1.8 158K, failed and the chain jumped. Chain is loose between cam sprockets, have no compression cylinder 3,4,2 and weak in cylinder 1, and cannot get chain links to match up with VVT sprocket marks. I'm guessing that I probably should have changed the tensioner as routine maintenance, but too late for that now. Other info: Ran fine w/ no noise prior to and next day would not fire. Air, fuel, and spark all confirmed.
Consider myself better than average wrench, but this looks to be a major undertaking and would appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thanks JO
zbyers

Re: Timing Chain

Post by zbyers »

Honestly, because these engines are a dime-a-dozen, most opt to just swap the engine out with a used one from a junkyard.

I haven't a clue as to the process to ensure no valve damage, or other damage, before simply swapping the timing chain out.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Re: Timing Chain

Post by jolt »

Manual or automatic transmission? Kind of odd that this would happen at 158K miles. Others on this forum have talked of replacing the timing chain in the car. Use the search to find and check these posts out.

Most engines that have a timing chain will bend valves in the cylinder head when the chain jumps. That being said, I would pull the engine to do the work as the head will have to come off too. Now while you are having the head rebuilt, you may as well remove the oil pan and push the pistons out and replace the piston rings also. All of this would depend on how much money and down time you have. Is the car worth spending the money on and are you going to keep the car another 160K? It is a snow ball effect when you start in to something like this and then where do you stop or draw the line. Timing chain, chain guide rails, bent valves, 158K already on car and motor...........

You did check to make sure all the rocker arms are on, that is why I asked about the transmission. If you have that may bad cylinders on the compression check, you may be better off replacing the engine as zbyers referred to. The engine swap would be the fastest way to get the car back on the road.