Help identifying loose connector

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
mrivera95

Help identifying loose connector

Post by mrivera95 »

Recently purchased a 2005 vibe GT with a lean code, P0171. Only modification to it seems to be a cold air intake. I have a loose connector that I cannot find what it connects to. It had a pin in both terminals, so the previous owner was trying to jump the connection. Any help? If anyone has a stock air induction system or even a cold air/short ram on a 2zz engine that they can contribute pictures of the setup, it would be greatly appreciated. Basically I need pictures of all vacuum hoses and electrical connections that are apart of the air intake system.
20191101_102103.jpg
20191101_102103.jpg (457.16 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
mrivera95

Re: Help identifying loose connector

Post by mrivera95 »

Heres another picture to show the set up. That hose laying over the top of the intake isn't there anymore. I can supply more pictures if needed
20190928_104508.jpg
20190928_104508.jpg (248.79 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Looks like the fog light connector. If your car doesn't have fogs, it may be an unused extra on the harness. There may be one on the other side too.
mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm Looks like the fog light connector. If your car doesn't have fogs, it may be an unused extra on the harness. There may be one on the other side too.
Car does have fogs, but they currently work as they should. I do not think it is for the fogs. I appreciate the response
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I apologize. It has been pouring down rain here, and I have had other projects going on at the house... Wife hit a deer over the weekend so had to get her car back together ASAP.

I will snap a few pics of my cold air intake setup after work.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 am I apologize. It has been pouring down rain here, and I have had other projects going on at the house... Wife hit a deer over the weekend so had to get her car back together ASAP.

I will snap a few pics of my cold air intake setup after work.
Thanks. I drive this car almost daily so I'm trying to fix all the problems asap
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Sorry for the rather unfortunate delayed response. These last few weeks have not been kind to me. lol

I know these are the best pictures, but it should help depict everything.

Picture 1:
There is no changes to this vacuum set up from the stock air box, to installing the aftermarket cold air intake. There was a vacuum line that was on the backside/bottom of the stock airbox; that should now go onto the nipple sticking off the cold air intake.

Picture 2:

The wiring for the brown solenoid is bundled in with either the positive or negative battery wiring. The solenoid itself is either pushed back towards the firewall near the first solenoid I picture. As this isn't plugged in for you, i can suspect that being part of your issue.

From that solenoid, I have both vacuum lines removed and don't have any codes thrown.

Picture 3:

One of the aforementioned removed vacuum lines ran to this spot just above the throttle body. Simple cap it off, and you will be fine... Zip tie was so I could identify it if I need to look for it in the future.

Hopefully this helps sort it out some.

mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

zbyers wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:20 am
There is no changes to this vacuum set up from the stock air box, to installing the aftermarket cold air intake. There was a vacuum line that was on the backside/bottom of the stock airbox; that should now go onto the nipple sticking off the cold air intake.

The wiring for the brown solenoid is bundled in with either the positive or negative battery wiring. The solenoid itself is either pushed back towards the firewall near the first solenoid I picture. As this isn't plugged in for you, i can suspect that being part of your issue.

One of the aforementioned removed vacuum lines ran to this spot just above the throttle body. Simple cap it off, and you will be fine... Zip tie was so I could identify it if I need to look for it in the future.

Thanks a ton! Is yours also a GT submodel? I havent looked under the hood with these pictures yet, because its 22 degrees in Texas, which is basically hell. Ive spent plenty of time looking under the hood for this stuff but Ill check on that brown solenoid. The connector is ziptied up close to the positive battery wiring. close to the terminal. As for the vaccuum line that went to the backside/bottom of the stock airbox that goes to the nipple on the col air intake, where does the hose start? theres a nipple, but it is capped off.

I also just recently took the throttle body off to clean and change the gasket and dont remember there being a hose attached near those two coolant lines but I'll check again.

Thanks again
mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

Scratch that, I toughed it out and looked. So the vacuum line that you have capped off on the throttle body is currently running from that nipple on the throttle body to this part right under it. In the picture the vacuum line is the braided one.
20191112_183855.jpg
20191112_183855.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 2239 times

I supplied this next picture to just see if you see anything different between mine and yours. I think its an evap system thing.

20191112_183924.jpg
20191112_183924.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 2239 times

For the brown solenoid... I see where yours is and that connector is the perfect length to it. So, I assume its gone. I dont see it anywhere else. Do you know what the part is call? Also, in yours does it work as anything? Or does it just get plugged in with that connector and have those two hose fixtures open?
mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

UPDATE....

Looked up an the K&N cold air intake for my 2005 GT and used their included instructions on their website to see how it is installed. By the end, I realized that everything on my intake system is correct. zbyers, I think Im right in saying that you have a 2004 and if so then there are slight differences when capping off certain hoses. The only thing is that thing that the connector is supposed to go into is gone. The instructions call it a VSV and it has something to do with emissions. My problem is with a P0171 lean code and not emissions though. In the instructions, the two spots on it for vacuum lines are left open and the VSV is left plugged in. When I first found it, there was a pin shoved into it. I guess the previous owner just wanted to bypass it since he/she removed the whole VSV. I agree that it seems unnecessary since its hoses are removed.

I dont have a pin in it anymore and it gives me no troubles. My problem on hand is this P0171 code I cant find and that randomly every other day at most, I will be rolling up to a stop sign or stop light and it will stall. One time it didnt turn back over though and I changed the fuel pump to realize that it was an efi fuse that blew but kept blowing if I went to pull off from a stop. Pulled the pin out of that connector and I havent had a problem since. I think it might have been arching on the frame while it was hanging.

It still stalls though randomly. If it is a correlation with the lean p0171 code, then my next guess is that the MAF and/or O2 sensor is shot
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The lean code, to a point, is also emissions related. The reason I was suspected the brown VSV was because it was missing. I guess I didn't realize you had a jumper wire in it, to take place of that.

The 04 GT is pretty similar to the 05, actually as there is also the smog pump. The 03 GT is the bigger difference (yet better since it has no smog pump!)

The P0171 code is typical of a vacuum leak related to the intake system in most cases. If it's not due to the installation of the cold air intake, it is possible it's the intake manifold gasket. That gasket isn't as big of an issue on the 2ZZ,

As an alternative, if you want to make the car more fun, you can try and find another 05 GT ECU and send it to R9K Tuning and have them put a tune on it.

mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

zbyers wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:28 am The lean code, to a point, is also emissions related. The reason I was suspected the brown VSV was because it was missing. I guess I didn't realize you had a jumper wire in it, to take place of that.

The 04 GT is pretty similar to the 05, actually as there is also the smog pump. The 03 GT is the bigger difference (yet better since it has no smog pump!)

The P0171 code is typical of a vacuum leak related to the intake system in most cases. If it's not due to the installation of the cold air intake, it is possible it's the intake manifold gasket. That gasket isn't as big of an issue on the 2ZZ,

As an alternative, if you want to make the car more fun, you can try and find another 05 GT ECU and send it to R9K Tuning and have them put a tune on it.

Well, I took out the jumper pin because I was trying to find what kept blowing my efi fuse. Ended up working after that.

I wouldn't be worried with the p0171 if it wasn't for the fact that my car will have that random moment every odd day to die coming to a stop. I only assume it's something to do with the lean code
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

It's possible it's related to that lean code, but I haven't heard of anyone having stalling issues due to it.

mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

zbyers wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:31 pm It's possible it's related to that lean code, but I haven't heard of anyone having stalling issues due to it.
A good experiment if you wanna help me brainstorm would be to unplug your vacuum switching valve and see if a code comes up. Just to see if the same results happen
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I can do that this evening. You abnormal 22 degrees in TX this time of a year, is a normal temp here in PA this time of year. :lol:

mrivera95

Post by mrivera95 »

UPDATE:
So at one point I was blowing an efi fuse, and I ended up unplugging the rear o2 sensor and plugging it back in and it fixed it. Odd. I replaced the sensor just to be sure.

I also had this lean code that I couldn't get rid of. Well, inspection time came and I failed for the CEL. Many months before, I ended up saying screw it on the CEL because it wasn't hurting performance or mpg. Readership had me thinking that the position of this knockoff intake was just messing with the air velocity and making the maf mad.

So to pass inspection, I bought the cosmo short ram intake because it was cheap, and new, and now I have no CEL.