Soaked passenger floor (moon roof drain issue?)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
rgnjc

Soaked passenger floor (moon roof drain issue?)

Post by rgnjc »

My wife's 2007 FWD vibe has a recurring issue, and with all the rain we've been getting lately the front and rear passenger side floor is soaked. I took a look today and the front passenger drain hole in the moon roof had some standing water in it. I tried to hit the drain hole with a vacuum and now it seems to be draining when I pour a cup of water into the moon roof gutter.

My question is, where is this water supposed to drain to? When it drains down the front passenger moon roof drain hole, water drips out of the chassie just behind the front passenger side wheel. Is this normal? Occasionally there will be drips that come out of the front passenger moulding that runs from the dash up to the roof.

From what I gathered on these forums, there is a drain in the rear behind the passenger rear wheel, what is supposed to drain from that? Also, I checked the AC line down at the front passenger feet, and that looks OK so I don't think that is the issue.
2005 Vibe base AWD w/ M&T, 191k miles (as of 8/2022)
2007 Vibe base FWS w/ M&T, 150k miles (as of 8/2022)
joatmon

Re: Soaked passenger floor (moon roof drain issue?)

Post by joatmon »

You likely fixed the problem.

The front drains do exit where you saw. Cant really get at the bottom ends . Their are rear drains also, They're harder to see at the moonroof, but you can see the exit tubes behind the rear wheels.

The moonroof isn't designed to close water tight, and the drains work well unless plugged. It is surprising though, as you, I and others have found out, how much water gets through when the drains don't drain.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

It is common for the sunroof drains to plug. Since the gasket isn't really watertight, and you do open the sunroof, you can get debris in the gutter. Of course, that then clogs the drains. Vacuuming them out, or using compressed air and blowing them out usually clears them up and solves the issues.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bumpaudio

Post by Bumpaudio »

I’ve had the passenger floor leak several times & I don’t have a sun roof. For me the AC drain hose got disconnected by my feet.

Pull the carpet back at the fire wall. Chances are the hose just got disconnected and is leaking inside the car.
JeffW

Post by JeffW »

I had the wet rear passenger floor issue but fixed my roof drain (the issue) a while back. It is common the drain hose kinks near the passenger rear wheel inside the car. Remove the rear panel in the hatch area and see if your hose has a kink Pic 1. If so, straighten it out and use something to keep it round - I used a cut piece of dishwasher drain line I just replaced, perfect fit Pic 2. The whole problem in my opinion is they installed the hose support clamp upside down, and over time the hose pops out and gets the kink, so turn the clamp 180 degrees so it supports the hose Pic 3.
Attachments
Kink
Kink
Pic 1.JPG (68.04 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Fix
Fix
Pic 2.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Support
Support
Pic 3.JPG (80.94 KiB) Viewed 370 times