2010 2.4L FWD CEL P0138

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
northvibe

2010 2.4L FWD CEL P0138

Post by northvibe »

So my sisters vibe is throwing CEL P0138 and also has the traction control light on. My BIL scanned the code and it says O2 sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2, which I think is the o2 on the back/under side near the cat aka 2nd o2. I could not find a way to get to it via the inside of the car, but putting the car on ramps I found the rear o2 and the plug.

WHile I had it running, I noticed it was a little strong on the smell so I may do some maintenance parts as well. Planning on going there in 2 weekends to work on the car and visit them. If anyone has tips to get it off, that would be great! I did spray penetrating oil to get the threads loosened on the o2 for when I do work on it.
zbyers

Re: 2010 2.4L FWD CEL P0138

Post by zbyers »

Bank 1 = driver side. Sensor 1 = first sensor. Bank 2 = passenger side. Sensor 2 = second sensor. So bank 1, sensor 2. would be the downstream o2. You would never get a bank 2 since we only have one exhaust. :lol:

Can his code reader pull live data from the sensor? If the second sensor has no data, i'd fix the exhaust leak and then see. If still no data, sensor is probably bad.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jolt

Post by jolt »

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0138_toyota.html with possible causes and some tech notes.

How does a mechanic diagnose the P0138 code?

Scans codes and documents freeze frame data and then clears codes to verify failure.

Monitors O2 sensor data to see if the voltage is switching back and forth between low and high at a fast rate compared to other sensors.

Checks the O2 sensor wiring and the harness connections for any corrosion in the connections.

Checks the O2 sensor for any physical damage or fluid contamination.

Checks for exhaust leaks before the sensor.

Follows the manufacturer's specific pinpoint tests for further diagnosis.

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0138 code

Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:

O2 sensor 1 for bank 1 can be used to diagnose O2 sensor 2 for bank 1 by looking at both sensors operation for comparison. The operation should be nearly the same, except sensor 2 should have a lower O2 reading since the catalyst should burn off the excess fuel and oxygen.

Check the O2 sensor for oil or coolant contaminants from any engine leaks.

Check the catalyst for damage or it being clogged that can cause erratic sensor readings.

How serious is the P0138 code?

The voltage output from the O2 sensor may be due to the exhaust catalyst being broken apart, which can cause the O2 sensors to give high output voltages.

The ECM may not control the fuel-to-air ratio of the engine properly, leading to a clogged catalyst and excessive carbon buildup in the engine with fouled spark plugs.

What repairs can fix the P0138 code?

Replacing the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
Repairing or replacing the wiring or connection to the O2 sensor for bank 1 sensor 2
Replacing the catalyst in front of the sensor
Repairing a leaking injector

Start with this information. The traction control problem is something different. There should be error codes for that too with the proper scanner. The rear wheel sensors and wiring connections for the rear wheel sensors are know to have problems in the 2009 and 2010 model Vibes. The sensors can also get rusted over or a bad wheel bearing can cause the sensor not to read the wheel speed. Then again it could be something else too.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

holy moly, didn't realize I never posted back up. Shame on me.

So I did replace the o2 sensor, I think the downstream one as I was underneath the car. I cleared the code and it came back in a day or two. I will replace the front one, but also check that drain pipe too I suppose that was a TSB.

Looking to get this working with no cel and then she can sell it.

EDIT: here is the thread with the TSB drain pipe
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46843&p=524485#p524485
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

zbyers wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:03 am Bank 1 = driver side. Sensor 1 = first sensor. Bank 2 = passenger side. Sensor 2 = second sensor. So bank 1, sensor 2. would be the downstream o2. You would never get a bank 2 since we only have one exhaust. :lol:

Can his code reader pull live data from the sensor? If the second sensor has no data, i'd fix the exhaust leak and then see. If still no data, sensor is probably bad.
I have the ODBMX+ with app on my phone so I think i can do live logging. I'll try it. I'll be back down there in 2 weeks, so I'll get the upstream sensor and put that in for giggles.

I cannot find a receipt ANYWHERE for this part. I have no idea where I ordered it....I just remember being underneath the car so I think it is that downstream one.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

here is a video for the upstream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb9_kzRNlqQ

downstream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnlnpcjEevk

they are from a toyota camery but same 2.4 and locations.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Thanks for following up northvibe.
Let us know what happens next!
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yeah, for sure!

New upstream o2 sensor should arrive next week. I'll also verify the wire for the down stream and make sure it didn't melt on the exhaust and ground out etc.

Once it doesn't have a CEL, I'll have my sister get it detailed and ready for sale.