Engine cover mounting screw/stud HELP

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
gdizzle

Engine cover mounting screw/stud HELP

Post by gdizzle »

on my 2005 Vibe (base) the black plastic cover that sits ontop of the engine is mounted with 2 studs. One has become broken and lost so there is only one now. I researched and found an obsolete part number 88969634, being called a Stud Ignition Coil Mounting screw. A few sellers online wanting $10 for the part, and $15 for ship. This part is basically a 3 inch long screw/stud. Does anyone know where I can find this part? or has anyone figured out how to replace it with something else? Please help. I am not going to pay $25 for this piece. Thanks guys.
gdizzle
jolt

Re: Engine cover mounting screw/stud HELP

Post by jolt »

3" long stud, you find a 3" long bolt of the same thread size and pitch and cut the head off the bolt. If you were lucky and found a bolt that was threaded all the way up, you are go to go. If not, take a die and cut new threads on the solid end of the bolt. That your replacement stud for the price of a bolt.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The plastic engine shield is originally held on with two nuts on studs, and two plastic pins. I think the pins are designed to break and not be reuseable, at least I've broken them the first time I tried to take the cover off (on 3 of these cars).

The two studs are different, one is short, and is only to hold the shield in place and no other function. the other one is longer, and has a fixed nut portion , this longer one is one of the fasteners that holds the valve cover on, and almost as an afterthought, sticks up to provide a mount for the shield. The short sstud is on the passesnger side, the long one to the drivers side

Based on the picture I found for the part number 88969634 you referenced, sounds like you need the long one, however, that part number is for the wrong stud, 8969634 is used to hold down the ignition coil harness with the coil connectors on it. That stud doesn't hold the engine shield.

If you look at the diagram t http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/s ... evel=25354, there are multiple parts identified as diagram #9, the long one is probably the most expensive, but I can't find a picture that I trust of any of those part numbers

Since so many of the parts are Toyota, you might be able to order the thing from a toyota dealer, or perhaps find a deal on line. Here is part of a picture I got from an online toyota parts seller for a 2005 Matrix XR
shieldstud.jpg
shieldstud.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
it looks like the long stud is Toyota part number 90116-06169 or 90116-06170. Searching for the part numbers at http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyo ... 06169.html and http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyo ... 06170.html, the 90116-06170 looks most like the long stud that's on my 03 Vibe.

The hex cap nut looks like 90176-06028.

You should be able to find those Toyota parts for less that $25 on line, or by ordering them directly from your local Toyota dealership parts counter.

You said that the stud is broken and lost, it depends on where it is broken. If it is broken above the fixed nut part on the bottom end of the stud, that's good, because then you can just unscrew the thing and screw the new one in. If it is broken under the fixed nut part, then you may have some work ahead of you. In that case, hopefully there is enough left sticking up form the head that you can remove the valve cover and twist out the stump with a pair of vice grips. If its broken off flush with the head, then you'll have to use a drill and an EZ-out or similar screw extractor.

If it's the shorter stud that's missing, and its just missing and not broken off, that looks like Toyota part number 92122-80612, but for that one I'd take the hex cap nut off the long stud to a hardware store and find a hex head bolt that fits it about three quarters to one inch long and just use that. If the shorter stud is broken off flush with the valve cover where you can't get pliers on it, the good news is that you don't need to pull the valve cover, the bad news is you'd need to use a screw extractor,

When I changed the valve cover gasket in mine, taking off the hex cap nut on the long stud, the stud unscrewed from the head (instead of the cap nut from the stud) and I just left it on the plastic shield. When I went to put the valve cover back on, I wasted an hour trying to find the one missing valve cover bolt until I remembered the long stud was also a valve cover bolt. That's the way it is working on cars, sometimes the most time is spent looking for a tool, or a missing screw. Or trying to solve how to disconnect some bizarre electrical connector.
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

This diagram hepled me find the engine cover clips I needed. the *4 makes it deceiving, actual part number is 11237-22010 .
Thank you very much!
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids