2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD Rear Differential Problem

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
xzero9

2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD Rear Differential Problem

Post by xzero9 »

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and gotten some great info, but I've run into an issue / dilemma I can't seem to solve with a search. Anyway, the Vibe has about 90k on it and it has treated me well, but a month or two ago I noticed a noise coming from the rear and took it into my mechanic. They diagnosed it as a bad rear differential. They said I should only put a new (not used) one in to the tune of $2350 for the part and 12 hours of labor. Yikes! In regards to rebuilding it, they said it would take longer - 13.5 hours to remove, open up the existing differential, and diagnose the problem before even rebuilding it. The reason they don't install used is a shop policy - I guess they've had problems with customer expectations or something like that in the past.

Well, I decided to get a second opinion from my old mechanic (only left them because I moved 45 minutes away). Same diagnosis, but a quote of 8 hours and they'd be willing to install a used one. For some reason they couldn't supply a used or new differential through their vendor or parts contacts, but did indicate that the build date could affect which parts will work (06/2008). He encouraged me to find a used differential on my own.

Problem is, I've had a hard time finding a used differential. Can I assume a used "rear axle assembly" would have the differential included? Also much of used rear axle assemblies have understandably high mileage. Based on what I've read here about Vibes and rear differentials and 100k plus mileage, I'm a bit leary of installing a used one anyway. I've talked to a couple GM parts departments and based on my VIN determined I need GM part no. 19205607. This seems to be the cheapest I can find it $1,412.63 -

http://www.gmoutletparts.com/oe-gm/19205607

Other similar type GM parts sites are within $100 or so of that. I'm heavily leaning in that direction at the moment, but I've got a few outstanding concerns I was hoping to get answered here:

1. Anybody know about the notion of the build date and different types of differentials because of it? I really don't want to be on the hook for the wrong part or pay a $200+ restocking fee.

2. Could I buy the Matrix version at a lower cost and what would the part number be? I'm guessing something from this link -

http://www.partznet.com/auto-parts/2009 ... ntial-scat

3. Would I need to purchase any other parts besides the differential? I don't want to get a call from the shop saying, "yeah, we've got everything we need except for..."

4. I also came across this youtube video which I recently revisited and was wondering if I should pursue it with either mechanic or a new mechanic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOd40uoc1SU

All of the threads I've read on genvibe seem in agreement about replacing the rear differential in similar scenarios. I've seen a few mentions of rebuilds, but no one else has discussed fixing the viscous coupler as this video has.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Chiadog

Re: 2009 Pontiac Vibe AWD Rear Differential Problem

Post by Chiadog »

I'll respond to #4-video! Good video, guy should have a press though. I would definitely pursue this with a new mechanic. The other two mechanics should have easily isolated the bearing noise as the video shows. This is a very inexpensive thing to check and to repair. Definitely worth a shot! Also have all the differential fluid changed. Good luck,
xzero9

Post by xzero9 »

A quick follow up and a few more questions. The third mechanic echoed the other two only this time also suggesting that the electromagnetic control coupling (what I previously thought was the viscous coupling) should be replaced as well. Well I'm still mulling that, but I'm pretty sure I've decided the differential definitely needs to be replaced as they found metal fragments in the fluid. My questions are:

1. Thoughts on trying to find a used differential. I talked to a friend who used to be a mechanic and he indicated, "just make sure the differential assembly isn't full of water." While it was partly in jest - making a point, it didn't really instill confidence in going the used parts route, but new is expensive. Also, I'm still having trouble actually finding used if anyone has a website they like please let me know.

2. However, Matrix parts are cheaper and I was hoping to confirm that they would fit -
Vibe:
http://www.gmoutletparts.com/oe-gm/19205607

vs. Matrix:
http://www.partznet.com/toyota/matrix/4 ... fferential

I think I've got that right and the drawings look pretty darn similar.

3. If anyone has thoughts on replacing the electromagnetic control coupling I'd appreciate that. The mechanic's rationale was essentially, "we recommend replacing both at the same time."

Thanks!
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I think any junkyard can tell you if Vibe and Matrix diff/coupler are interchangeable. (I can't).
Get both parts (used) with a warranty. Call 3 or 4 local big junkyards that also install the parts and provide warranty. This should be fairly easy to do and relatively inexpensive! New parts installed at a dealer may cost more than your car is worth. But it wouldn't cost anything to get an estimate from a GM dealer for comparison. Just my 2 cents.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Try your local auto salvage yard, they will know if the parts from Vibe and Matrix are the same. This site may be of help in locating and pricing used parts: http://www.partshotlines.com/
xzero9

Post by xzero9 »

Thanks guys. I sometimes get my internet blinders on when it comes to things - only looking for solutions online. I had looked into one of the bigger local salvage yards a while ago but had concerns as there were multiple negative reviews for them and little positive. I'll do some more digging. Thanks for the responses!
kvnshnnn

Post by kvnshnnn »

Hello, I am currently experiencing this same problem. What ultimately happened in your case - I'm curious.
xzero9

Post by xzero9 »

I ended up finding a used differential. I don't recall the price I paid for it and my records are not accessible at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the labor quote I gave above should be pretty close to what I ended up paying. One year later and the Vibe is running well. It wasn't cheap, but better than a new car payment ;)
kvnshnnn

Post by kvnshnnn »

Thanks for the response. I had to have my electromagnetic coupler replaced. Also not cheap but as you point out, beats a monthly payment.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Ancient post, I know. Just spreading the info as I stumble across some posts.

Rear diff is the same for all vehicles noted at the below link. This is good info to use when searching for one in a junkyard.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... s9MQ%3D%3D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

no apologies necessary actually. It is long timers like me who are very grateful to those who take 5 minutes to pull up a thread that has already been started no matter how old it is. It saves us from sifting through 50,000 nonsensical " hi I'm a newby" threads, when one in 2003 should have covered it. :roll: