Unknown Oil pressure switch

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Pbadgley

Unknown Oil pressure switch

Post by Pbadgley »

OK I have 2005 Vibe with the 1zzfe engine with and oil pressure switch located just above the oil filter. What is it purpose? The switch started leaking profusely so I had to replace it. We're I'm located it was going to take a week or more to get the parts in. I found a plug with the same threads and decided to just replece the switch with a plug until the part arrived. Low and behold with out the switch installed the oil light is not on. I know the light works cause it came on when I lost all my oil due to the old defective switch. Is this switch for some sort of engine management?
2005 Vibe Base
Kenwood DNX5120 stereo system
Underdrive Crank pulley
K&N Typhoon SRI
HID headlights and Xenon Fog Lights
star_deceiver

Re: Unknown Oil pressure switch

Post by star_deceiver »

It's most likely the pressure sensor that turns the oil light on if pressure drops too far. You've probably just got the cable ends there so it's acting like there's a pressure switch there with full oil pressure. You might trip a check engine light, but you're probably fine. Replace the switch and be back to normal.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)