Alternator rattling.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
BrettZ

Alternator rattling.

Post by BrettZ »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I noticed a rattling in the drive belt area. I immediately suspected the tensioner assembly and replaced it this weekend ($80). The noise is still there. After further investigation I narrowed it down to the alternator by isolating the sound with the car off and spinning the alterlator with some spring and a good pull. It sounds like the bearings are going bad within the unit. I have a quote from a shop to rebuild the unit for $45 tops. Or I could have a brand new alternator shipped to me door for $146.

Is it worth it to rebuild? I'm a little wary since the car in question is only 9 years old with 105,000km, its not normal for an alternator to act up.

Any recommendations or opinions?

Thanks!

Edit: There is no voltage light or CEL as of yet.
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
beemerphile1

Re: Alternator rattling.

Post by beemerphile1 »

A quality rebuild is as good as new.

I would fix it now if you have the time and money. That beats breaking down out on the road somewhere.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
BrettZ

Re: Alternator rattling.

Post by BrettZ »

a little update...

Located a spare alternator through a friend to test out. The rattle is not coming from the alternator, I don't know what sound I was hearing when I thought I heard it. Turns out it is the waterpump. I'm about 70% into the job (still putting everything back together). Fingers crossed it all goes well!
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. - Martin Luther King, Jr.