Everything checks out. Won't start....

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Frankie1029

Everything checks out. Won't start....

Post by Frankie1029 »

2004 Pontiac Vibe GT.Fuel pump is 6 months old. Battery is 6 months old. Spark plugs are brand new.Spark is good. I smell fuel from the exhaust. It cranks and cranks with no results.I'm going to check the crank and cam sensors as well as the relays this week. Have to check the cylinder compression and the fuel pressure just in case. When cranking the battery light starts to blink after a few seconds I noticed as well. Didn't know if this matters.Help.Thanks.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Any codes (Check Engine Light)? Coil Pack issues?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Herb

Re: Everything checks out. Won't start.... (Frankie1029)

Post by Herb »

How cold is it out there? What's your fuel level reading at?There was a time I left my Vibe at an airport parking lot for a week at half tank where it was under -20C and I couldn't get it to start, even though the battery was reading 11.5 volts and while the starter engaged it the engine refused to fire up. I also remember smelling a bit of fuel from the exhaustEnded up being condensation in the fuel tank blocking the pump. A bottle of fuel line antifreeze should solve this problem
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Frankie1029

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by Frankie1029 »

Can't see if there are any CELs because it won't start. Is there a way to check it with a jumper?If by coil pack you mean the indiviuald ignition coils they all produce spark. Is there a test I can do otherwise on them?It's about 20F at the lowest right now. I drove to the grocery store and then back home and now it won't start. Just randomly. The tank is 1/4 full.I forgot to mention, last summer my wife had an issue where diesel ended up in the tank for some reason, which is weird because you can't put a diesel pump in an unleaded car....She replaced the filter and the pump and the plugs. Then it worked fine for like 6-8 months until yesterday.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

You need a code reader for these cars. You should be able to pull them with out starting it (just have the key in the "On" position"). Now if you put diesel in it that stuff could be still floating in your tank. If it was me I'd drain the gas tank, pull the pump filter and clean and check it, purge the fuel lines and try some fresh gas. No telling with the cold weather what that diesel (if still in the tank) could gum up. If one coil pack goes bad you should be able to start it, may run like crap.Yes it could be a cam/crank sensor but then it should pull a code. Code readers are about $100 for a cheapy but for a little more you can get one that will log and give you realtime data. Good Luck!
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
DeClerq

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by DeClerq »

You can get code readers for less than that. I got one from Amazon for $40, and that wasn't even the cheapest one. AutoZone will read codes for free, but I know that doesn't do you any good since your car won't start. Maybe they can rent you one? Or you cold just buy one there and have it on hand in case something like this happens again.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
Frankie1029

Re: (DeClerq)

Post by Frankie1029 »

I'm going to grab a code reader today then buy the same one on amazon then return it to autozone.I'm goof to check all the sensors and what not tonight. I'll grab a bottle of fuel system antifreeze or whatever just in case as well.
4azdmunky

Re: Everything checks out. Won't start.... (Frankie1029)

Post by 4azdmunky »

Also, crawl under the dash and look at ..i think its AM2 fuse. Middle of top row , 15AMP fuse. I just blew mine two weeks ago and it was doing the same thing. No CEL, crank but no fire.
djkeev

Re: (Frankie1029)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Frankie1029 »I'm going to grab a code reader today then buy the same one on amazon then return it to autozone...........This is just WRONG on so many fronts!! Sad what the morals of many have been reduced to. Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

autozone has a tool loaner program, you put down a chunk of cash when they lend you the tool, you get it back when they get the tool back. Kind of what you were going to do, but in the end you don't have to buy one.code readers will work with the key in the run position, even if the car isn't running
Frankie1029

Re: (djkeev)

Post by Frankie1029 »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »This is just WRONG on so many fronts!! Sad what the morals of many have been reduced to. DaveI don't see how. If I return the one I got form autozone and keep the one from amazon that is cheaper there is nothing wrong with that. I save money and it gets me a code reader faster.Either way.I talked with some people today and I ended up using some starter fluid an VOILA! it ran, for a few seconds, so that eliminates a lot of likelihoods and leads me to fuel delivery. I smell gas out the rear end, but when I applied voltage to the fuel pump it didn't make any noise. On all my hondas the fuel pump makes an audible WHIR noise when engaged. Does this type of pump not make any noise?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Have someone BANG repetedly on the tank while you crank it over!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibolista

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by vibolista »

How about shaking the car vigorously to stirr the tank while starting?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Frankie1029

Post by Frankie1029 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Have someone BANG repetedly on the tank while you crank it over!Wait, what?Quote, originally posted by vibolista »How about shaking the car vigorously to stirr the tank while starting?This is supposed to help how?I'm going to test the pump tomorrow.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

banging on the fuel tank, it kinda is like the thought process of banging on the fuel pump. It actually works...sometimes. Fuel pumps to my knowledge if you go to acc, they should "click" and put pressure in the fuel lines. I dont see why the vibe would be any different.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Frankie1029 »I don't see how. If I return the one I got form autozone and keep the one from amazon that is cheaper there is nothing wrong with that. I save money and it gets me a code reader faster.Either way.I talked with some people today and I ended up using some starter fluid an VOILA! it ran, for a few seconds, so that eliminates a lot of likelihoods and leads me to fuel delivery. I smell gas out the rear end, but when I applied voltage to the fuel pump it didn't make any noise. On all my hondas the fuel pump makes an audible WHIR noise when engaged. Does this type of pump not make any noise?OK, go into a brick and mortar retail store and TELL them that this is your intention. See what their response is. You purchase one, they order one to replace the one you purchased so it is in stock for the next guy and now you return one to them you purchased elsewhere. They have just doubled their cost of inventory on this item. You are purchasing an item, fully intend to use it and then plan to return a similar new item to them for credit. You can't see what you are doing as being wrong for you are saving a few dollars and a few days. If you don't purchase a given item from a given store do NOT take an item purchased elsewhere back to the original purchaser.Someday local stores won't exist because of actions like this.You intend to use this merchant as you own personal bank and time machine.I've no respect for this behavior or YOU for doing this to the merchant!This is a known problem and is being combated by some retailers, it is a form of theft. You are returning a product and making a profit on the item.From an article titled "Refund Theft"Refund theft; also known as refund fraud, refund scam or whitehouse scam, is a type of crime, related to shoplifting, which involves returning goods to a retailer, in exchange for money or other goods.............................................Some stores apply unique serial numbers to their items, embedded into the bar code or hidden elsewhere. If a serial number on an item about to be returned does not match the serial number on the receipt, the store can refuse the refund.So, are you going to purchase a fuel pump locally to get the car on the road and then order a cheaper one from somewhere else, re-box and return it to the auto parts store??Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Serj22

Post by Serj22 »

I think what he meant was:1. Purchase code reader from autozone so he has one right now2. Purchase one on amazon as well for cheaper and wait 5 days for it to come3. Return the 1st purchased code reader to autozone where he bought it after reading code4. Keep the code reader from amazon for future problems.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
djkeev

Re: (Serj22)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »I think what he meant was:1. Purchase code reader from autozone so he has one right now2. Purchase one on amazon as well for cheaper and wait 5 days for it to come3. Return the 1st purchased code reader to autozone where he bought it after reading code4. Keep the code reader from amazon for future problems.Nice to be positive but I read what he wrote differently. Besides, why return a used functional item to AutoZone?? Makes no sense. Am I the ONLY person who sees this activity as WRONG? I know I'm older and raised in a different society than exists today but have the lines blurred all that much between what is right and wrong? Has the moral code changed a lot and I've missed it?I'm not against getting a deal on an item. I did purchase a new printer for my Mother and before I installed it I found that Amazon had it for almost $70 less (plus no tax and free shipping) than what I paid at Target!! I ordered it from Amazon and returned the printer purchased from Target, UNOPENED AND UNUSED, to Target. AN entirely different scenario. I wasn't using Target for immediate gratification and financial gain. I simply educated myself too late about prices! Legit return. I was patient and waited for the printer to arrive.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Am I the ONLY person who sees this activity as WRONG?I'll agree with you.Wifes friend does this with clothes... she's been blacklisted from several stores in the mall and she thinks she's the victim.... I understand wanting to save a few $$. But this could come back to bite you as some stores have a no-refund policy on automotive electronics/electrionic parts once opened!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I'm with you two. Also it's one thing to do but another to post it for the world to see. Almost like bragging.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

This isn't a post on morals... Have you checked the fuel pump relay?
keithvibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by keithvibe »

so many hi horses in here...Has the computer been replaced?
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »so many hi horses in here...I saw a sad horse the other day, so I went up to him and asked "Why such a long face?"in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43328 mrxavier344 reports he had a crank but no start problem that was due to throttle valve dirty and not functioning correctly.
djkeev

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »so many hi horses in here.......
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Am I the ONLY person who sees this activity as WRONG? I too agree with you on this one Dave. He should truly RENT the analyzer to see the codes initially, then seeing the value of such a tool PURCHASE one wherever he sees fit. Return the rental one knowing that they were there when he needed them and pay the $10 or so that it will set him back. Everybody wins in this situation and the store will likely be there for many years to come to help future customers like you & I. Getting back to the original topic, I say BAD fuel pump
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jake75

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »This isn't a post on morals... The "teachable moment".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."