Who got a letter about a recall (ECM???)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
808 Vibes

Who got a letter about a recall (ECM???)

Post by 808 Vibes »

My mom just called and said she got some letter for Frosty's recall. I haven't gotten one for Neptune yet (maybe I'll get it tomorrow) the suspense is killing me...anybody know what it says?
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
djkeev

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by djkeev »

Essentially that Frosty's brain is defective and GM is giving her/him/it a new improved one.There are bad solder connections that can cause stalling at inopportune times. It's been discussed here but you've been involved in other pursuits!No worry, no one has ever died, just a major PITA.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
HMPower

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (djkeev)

Post by HMPower »

Looks like the mass mailing went out this week. The letter is just a heads up, and says that another letter will be sent once parts are in stock to do the work. It doesn't have a lot of details beyond that.
2005 Neptune Blue FWDMoon & TunesPower Pkg.
renate

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (HMPower)

Post by renate »

I got my recall notice today, but it is also the first letter, saying the second one will follow when they have the parts in. I have a 2008 that was manufactured in August 2007.
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Your post title says a recall about an ECM.. is that the same as a PCM?I got a recall letter about Powertrain Control module."On some of these vehicles, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) may have been improperly manufactured and include components that can fail prematurely. In most cases, the engine warning lamp could be illuminated, harsh transmission shifting could result, the engine may stall, or the engine may not start. In limited instances, the engine could stall while the vehicle is behind driven increasing the risk of a crash."With Pontiac being no longer.. in bankrupt or whatever.. wonder how this affects things..
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

I got the letters for both our '08 and '07 Vibes.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
lovemyraffe

Re: (ClunkClunk)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I had one in the mail when I got back from vacation. It said that they will be sending the actual recall letter soon.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
waveresponder

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by waveresponder »

just recieved the notification letter in the mail today (10-04-10)
RexB

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (waveresponder)

Post by RexB »

Our 2006 Vibe FWD got its recall too, 10-01-10, the repair is s'posed to take about 40 minutes. Last i heard was three accidents attributed to the PCM/ECM problem. Our dealer's about 75 miles away since all the others around here have closed. Will wait for their letter that the part has arrived.One of the articles about it: Pontiac Vibes Ensnared in Toyota’s 15th Recall of YearToyota Motor Co. announced a safety recall for 199,163 Pontiac Vibe [FWD] models from 2005-2008 because of a faulty powertrain control module (PCM/ECM). http://www.thedetroitbureau.co...year/NHTSA’s vehicle safety hotline 1-888-327-4236 or http://www.safercar.gov.I'm still loving this Vibe.
'06 Vibe 1.8L, Moon & Monsoon, Power package
jkm311

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (RexB)

Post by jkm311 »

Letter arrived yesterday – 2 years too late.
Steelies to the rescue.
Digger

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (jkm311)

Post by Digger »

I did not get a letter. I wonder if it is still in the mail Or is it just for FWD. I have an AWD
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
HMPower

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (Digger)

Post by HMPower »

I believe that this recall only includes the 2wd models.
Ol' Timer

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (HMPower)

Post by Ol' Timer »

"When parts are available, your GM dealer will inspect the production number of your PCM in your vehicle and, if necessary, replace it." I just figured if they already knew what PCM they installed in our vehicles. Or is this inspection to see if the PCM was already changed/replaced and/or modified?
2006 Salsa Vibe - Auto - Side Curtain Air Bags - ABS - Vehicle Stability Control - Tunes No Moon - Monotone - Preferred Package - Slate Cyper Cloth - Steelie Wheels2002 Snap Orange Beetle - Auto - Turbo
micbarric

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (Ol' Timer)

Post by micbarric »

Quote, originally posted by Ol’ Timer »"When parts are available, your GM dealer will inspect the production number of your PCM in your vehicle and, if necessary, replace it." I just figured if they already knew what PCM they installed in our vehicles. Or is this inspection to see if the PCM was already changed/replaced and/or modified?You can see a list of the PCM part numbers here; http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1082/ecm.pdfI already checked the number on my PCM (89661-01131), and according to the list it has to be replaced.
2005 Frosty
RexB

Re: Who got a letter about a recall (micbarric)

Post by RexB »

Thanks for finding and posting the part numbers I looked and mine has to be replaced.And it reminded me how enjoyable it is contorting over the rocker panel to get underneath the dash lol.
'06 Vibe 1.8L, Moon & Monsoon, Power package
Vinlandr

Post by Vinlandr »

I just receive the first letter today about that issue.Thanx for the post I just contorted to have a look...I could check and mine is 89661-02K41.I needed to confirm the lot and it seems to clear with 8088 as the 4 digits over 7227 and higher.Is it really the only thing they check before servicing it or should I still go upon receiving the 2nd letter
Vibe base 2006 Neptune Blue Powerpack
bull77

Post by bull77 »

got my letter today -- i was hoping there was a big GM warehouse in canada with the parts, but I guess I'm waiting for the 2nd letter.
BadBrew

Re: (bull77)

Post by BadBrew »

Got my letter too today and need replacement... 89661-01132
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
HMPower

Re: (BadBrew)

Post by HMPower »

Thanks for posting that document...I'm going to limbo under my dash to check the ECM as soon as I'm off work so I know what to expect.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Yes.. also thanks for that list. I'm going to look tomorrow morning.
stagwag86

Post by stagwag86 »

I got a letter. I'll be checking my ECM tonight to see if mine is on the list.
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Quote, originally posted by RexB »One of the articles about it: Pontiac Vibes Ensnared in Toyota’s 15th Recall of YearToyota Motor Co. announced a safety recall for 199,163 Pontiac Vibe [FWD] models from 2005-2008 because of a faulty powertrain control module (PCM/ECM). http://www.thedetroitbureau.co...year/NHTSA’s vehicle safety hotline 1-888-327-4236 or http://www.safercar.gov.I'm still loving this Vibe.Thank you for this post. A buddy of mine with an '08 who lives near me got his letter a couple of weeks ago, and I never got one, so until now I was unsure/hoping '03s weren't part of this
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
stagwag86

Post by stagwag86 »

On the list for replacement. 89661-0Z041
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Quote, originally posted by micbarric »You can see a list of the PCM part numbers here; http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1082/ecm.pdfI already checked the number on my PCM (89661-01131), and according to the list it has to be replaced.Thanks for posting this here. I just checked mine and Frosty needs a new brain. 89661-01133. I didn't get a letter though. It may be because I just purchased my Vibe on August 22nd and went to DMV on September 22nd to register and donate some $ to the local government.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
The Lox

Post by The Lox »

Got one for my 08 but not for my wifes 07. But I have not received anything else. My address with GM was my old address in KC, but now I live in Dallas. How do I notify them to send the new letter to the correct address?
2008 Wave 5-Speed (Mine)2007 Platinum Auto (Hers)
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

Got one about last week, wonder how they can fix it since I am now in the UK?!?
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

My Girlfriend took off work today to go see the dealer where we bought the car.They say they have no record of any recalls other than brake pedal sticking yet we received the letter saying they will let us know when parts are in stock!Now we'll need to dig up that letter, take another day off work and go back.
Salsa Guy

Re: (yuppicide)

Post by Salsa Guy »

I assume it was a GM dealership? They should have been able to pull up the VIN and recalls. It's really a Toyota thing the ECU just has a GM badge on it. Here's a link http://media.gm.com/content/me..._vibeGoodluck
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Yep. GM Dealer where we bought the car, where she bought her previous car AND I think the car before that.I believe all three cars were pieces of ****.The same old fart salesman helped us, and she thinks it's also the same tech who kind of ruined her last car. She was in there and he showed her some button to reset the check engine light, but there really was a problem with the engine.The letter states:"When parts are available, your GM dealer will inspect the production number of the PCM inyour vehicle and, if necessary, replace it. Of course, this will be at no charge to you."So then I should not pay for a diagnostic and I'm going to give them hell.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

I totally forgot about this list. I had to go buy a dollar store flash light and batteries to see under the dash, but our vehicle is on the section that says replace ECM.Quote, originally posted by micbarric »You can see a list of the PCM part numbers here; http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1082/ecm.pdfI already checked the number on my PCM (89661-01131), and according to the list it has to be replaced.
Tammy09

Post by Tammy09 »

Did anyone get the 2nd letter about the PCM? I got the recall warning back in October however have yet to see the letter saying parts are actually available. What about the work being actually done? "Brain surgery" on the car sounds rather serious. Does it take long/would I be able to wait for the car to get fixed without ruining an entire day?
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Well, I now have an appointment for next Saturday. Will let you know how that goes.Due to a mishap with checks last month we didn't have money last week for the $115 diagnostic fee. They're making us pay that and if it's covered under warranty or recall we'll get the money back.
RosietheVibe

Post by RosietheVibe »

I have never posted here so I am sorry if I don't do it correctly. I just wanted to share my experience with everyone. I have a 2005 Vibe named Rosie. On December 6, 2010 I was driving and I stopped at a stop sign, when taking off from the stop my car had a very harsh shift. It was so hard that it felt that I had been rear ended. It kept doing it, it was really harsh between 1st and 2nd. I looked down and saw that the check engine light was on, this all happened in a matter of minutes. I took it to a shop right away to see what was wrong with it. They pulled the code and said they weren't sure what could be wrong, to bring it back the next day but to absolutely not drive it on the highway/interstate. I brought it in the next day and left it. They called me in a few hours later and told me I needed to take it to a dealership because they couldn't fix the problem. I called the dealership and they couldn't fit me in till the next day so that gave me time to do some research and that is where I found out about the recall and the problems I was experiencing matched perfectly. I had recieved the "heads up" letter concerning the recall a couple of months prior but at the time didn't think anything of it. Of course I couldn't find the letter! I called Pontiac customer service and they told me that the recall hadn't been officially released yet and that the dealerships didn't have the part yet either. I decided to go ahead and take it to the dealership anyway because I read that it could develop into a problem of safety especially if the car is already showing the shifting symptoms. I first went to the Toyota dealership where I bought it used but they said I had to go to the GM dearlership for the recall. They knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the symptoms and the recall, they just couldn't touch it. I went to the GM dealership down the road and they were so rude and wouldn't even talk to me, saying there was nothing they could do because they couldn't get the part and they couldn't find the recall. So they just sent me on my way in an unsafe car. I decided to try the Chevrolet dealership where my sis and bro-in-law goes. They were very sympathetic and took her back to be looked at, this was Weds morning. I left her there and waited for them to call me. They called back in a few hours and said that it was the pcm/ecm and that they COULD get the part but it would take a few days that I wouldn't get her back until the following Monday. I wasn't happy about having to wait but was grateful that she was going to get fixed even though he said it would have to come out of pocket since the recall wasn't released yet. Well I got a happy surprise and she was all fixed on Friday! On Weds I called Pontiac back and told them that a Chevrolet dearlership was getting the part and fixing the problem. They got the name of the dealership because they were baffled that someone was getting the part I guess. A few days later Pontiac called me back and said that they had talked to the dealership and what was replaced was under the recall and as soon as I got my second letter then I could file a claim and get the money back. I think it ended up being about $600. Now I am just waiting for my second letter, has anyone received it yet? Sorry for the length of this post but didn't want to leave anything out.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

I called GM directly. I told them I got a recall letter, I investigated the error code and PCM part number and it should be replaced, I told them I don't feel I should have to pay a $115 diagnostic fee when it's still under warranty.They said I won't pay a $115 fee up front, they just make me sign papers in case they do have to charge me.Now, they also told me they will be sending the second letter out sometime before the end of January. They should have the parts in and will do the repairs.If anyone receives their second letter, please post here. I'll do the same when I get mine.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

this recall appears to be the "drive by wire" cars. This type started in 2005 w/toyota and the Vibe/Corolla/matrix . They immediatelty had issues. AWD models are not DBW. And are now considered "old school " design. ....I like "old school". honestly I don't need a stepper motor or electromagnet to open the throttle. My foot works just fine , thank you.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
nerka

Post by nerka »

Good lord, this thread was about ECM (ECU) not PCM....sheesh.
RosietheVibe

Re: (nerka)

Post by RosietheVibe »

I had the PCM replaced and it also falls under the recall...the same recall. This was confirmed by Pontiac when they contacted the dealership that replaced my PCM....sheesh
HMPower

Post by HMPower »

I think GM and Toyota used both PCM and ECM to refer to the same component. I'd look up who used which term but I'm knee deep in sausage gravy at the moment.
jasonvibe

Re: (HMPower)

Post by jasonvibe »

as stated ECM -engine control module and PCM- power control module, ECU engine control unit, ARE THE SAME. Just depends on which you like to say. And on drive by wire the ECM/PCM does all the mechanical work to control the throttle. Can the ECM sticker be seen only from the bottom. Or is it easier the remove the glove box?
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
neebishis

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by neebishis »

Has anyone received a recall letter from GM??.....not the one that says a recall will be issued.....I mean one that asks you to make an appointment to have the ECM replaced??I have an 05 Vibe and an 05 Matrix....I've had the second letter from Toyota for over 2 weeks....but from GM, nothing!!ken
HMPower

Re: (neebishis)

Post by HMPower »

No 2nd letter yet. But if the Toyota letters are going out, the Pontiac letters hopefully won't take much longer.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

I received letters for both of our Vibes stating that GM will be in contact with information about the recall, but no followups have arrived in 2 or 3 months.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

@RosietheVibe$600 for the repair seems INSANE!!!!! The replacement of the PCM is only supposed to take about 45min to 1 hour. And I believe the PCM unit only costs about $125. I remember when my PCM unit died on my car (while it was still under the 36K mile warranty thankfully) and I looked up the part # and price and found it online for $125.Also, I remember reading somewhere that this part had a 80,000 mile warranty. Maybe I am wrong, or confused... but I definitely remember reading something of that sort.
zdkaiser

Post by zdkaiser »

Oh yeah, and I just checked the digits on my ECU unit, and apparently I don't need the warranty replacement. so when the ECU unit broke the first time, they replaced it with a "good brain." thank god.
knightrace

Re: (neebishis)

Post by knightrace »

Quote, originally posted by neebishis »Has anyone received a recall letter from GM??.....not the one that says a recall will be issued.....I mean one that asks you to make an appointment to have the ECM replaced??I have an 05 Vibe and an 05 Matrix....I've had the second letter from Toyota for over 2 weeks....but from GM, nothing!!kenGot my Safety Recall Notice today for the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) from Pontiac/GM! It states that... "parts are now available to repair your vehicle" and to schedule an appointment and it will be performed at no charge.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
RosietheVibe

Re: (zdkaiser)

Post by RosietheVibe »

I over estimated by a little the total was $510, I was just looking at my invoice again because I finally received my recall notice from GM! I unfortunately didn't have the option to shop around because my car was getting to the point of not being able to drive it. So I had to have it done at the one dealership that said they could get the part. The labor was $150 and the part was $360. Which doesn't matter now that I can mail in the claim form. And also, my car has 134K miles so I am way past the warrenty.
HMPower

Re: (knightrace)

Post by HMPower »

I just got my 2nd letter too...looks like they're in the mail! w00t!
HMPower

Post by HMPower »

Forgot to add, it also includes a reimbursement form if I'd already paid for the repair. There's no time limit afa how long ago it was done. Questions about reimbursement can be directed to 1-800-204-0261 fyi.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Got my second letter today too. Although it will be done at no charge, they are going to "inspect" it first to see if it needs replacing. Might not even be replaced.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
knightrace

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by knightrace »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Got my second letter today too. Although it will be done at no charge, they are going to "inspect" it first to see if it needs replacing. Might not even be replaced. Did you check your Part Number and Lot Number from the previous posting? I printed that sheet out and wrote my Part Number and Lot Number on it. According to the sheet my ECM needed replacement. I took that sheet along with my recall notice to the dealer this morning and asked if they would order the ECM so that it will be in stock for my appointment on Monday, February 21, 2011. Suprisingly, they did it for me. I was impressed. Funny thing was the parts guy made a comment about the sheet... "Where did you get that? I need to make a copy of that!" http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1082/ecm.pdf Thanks micbarric for posting the link.