Rear differential bearing failure

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
pmh013

Rear differential bearing failure

Post by pmh013 »

My Vibe is starting to go craptastic on me.Couple of weeks ago, started making this whining noise. From the rear end. Faster I go, higher the pitch gets.Finally had time to get into the city to get the oil changed (for my 135,000 km/83885 mi interval) and asked them to give me a quote on getting rid of that whine. I figured it was just low on fluid or something (yeah, I never did a fluid change on the rear diff - bad I know).Well, it comes back that one of the bearings is toasted, and the most cost effective remedy is to replace the entire differential assembly, housing, dust cover, to the tune of C$2740. I even cross-shopped this repair at Toyota, hoping to get a better deal. No luck.The only "bargain" I got out of the deal is an $11/day Sunfire rental. I could be Vibe-less for a week, waiting on parts to come from the US. Oh yeah, and the reason why I have to get this repair done now is that if I drive it any more, I risk wrecking other stuff, which just means a bigger repair bill. Argh. Please perform your rear differential service as scheduled. Don't be like me.
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
joatmon

Re: Rear differential bearing failure (pmh013)

Post by joatmon »

wow, that's a major ouch.If you contact the seller of the wrecked AWD in the ebay auction in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=16982 and buy that wreck to get the differential, let me know, I'll buy some parts off it to help pay
pmh013

Re: Rear differential bearing failure (silverawd26)

Post by pmh013 »

Yeah, I considered going to the local wrecker to try and find a used differential assembly. But, with 9 hours of labour in the quote, I knew this was not a DIY job, at least not for me. I haven't 9 hours to spare, nor the correct tools for the job.They can't just replace the bearing. I guess when you attempt to do that, all the little bits get out of alignment. It's more beneficial (I'm told) to replace the entire thing. Makes me wonder why they give all the little bits individual part numbers.I'll just bite the bullet on this one, and be faithful about doing the differential service from now on.Here's a pretty good diagram the Toyota dealer gave me. The parts I need to replace are A, B, C, D and E (the big box). Luckily, the viscous coupling (the part that is the crucial component to the AWD) does not need replacing. That is a $1949.54 touch!

Attached files
2003 Satellite AWD Two Tone, traded off at 180,126 kmNow the (fourth) catalytic converter is someone else's problem Now driving a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan
pmh013

Post by pmh013 »

I knew I had a question about this! Thanks for reminding me, silver!Can anyone make a hypothesis that all those months I spent with a tranny shifting up & down due to my crapped out catalytic converter may have caused premature bearing wear in my rear differential? Possible, or am I smoking crack?I knew I asked about this when I had the cat replaced (the first and second times) ... the possiblity of this cat issue causing wear/failure of other components.I'm open to suggestions ... come on goodwill replacement! I'm waaayyy past warranty.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

well, you're over the 100K so i guess it doesn't matter you had your powertrain warranty. sorry to hear about your luck there, penny.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by pmh013 »ICan anyone make a hypothesis that all those months I spent with a tranny shifting up & down due to my crapped out catalytic converter may have caused premature bearing wear in my rear differential? Possible, or am I smoking crack?.Possible, but smoking crack might make it easier to write the repair checkThe viscous coupling should only provide torque to the rear differential when there is enough speed difference between the front and the rear wheels. If your bad cat induced shifting was causing the wheels to slip and thereby sending power pulses into the rear differential, then sure, but I'd expect that any accelerated wear from the bad cat shifting would be up front and most of the time the rear differential was just floating.but really, what do I know, I'm waiting for my cars third transmission to be installed.try to get a good warranty on the repair
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ouch!!! That's horrible! Hate to hear about your luck, I've been there, and heck I'm there right now. Yes, sadly, there seem to be a few Vibes that have been doomed from the start - I think we account for two of those, might as well say three counting joatmon's tranny troubles.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
pmh013

Re: Rear differential bearing failure (ColonelPanic)

Post by pmh013 »

Well, my car is back.Here's the diagnosis:Performed roat test and confirmed noise from the rear diff. Found that there are several bearings worn and have caused damage to the gears.Here's the cure (I actually fixed their terrible spelling):Provided estimate. blah blah blahCar should not be driven, more damage can occur.Removed the rear wheels, axle shaft retainer nut and removed the axle shafts from the rear diff. Removed the exhaust, and two piece drive shaft. Removed necessary retainer bolts from the rear diff support brackets. Removd the rear diff and removed the diff coupler/housing. Removed the assembly and replaced the inner and outer coupler bearings. Installed the assembly on the new diff and secured in place. Installed the coupler dust shield. Installed and secured the rear diff in place and secured the mounting brackets.Installed the left and right rear axle shafts and secured to the hub. Installed axle shaft retainer nuts. Installed the drive shaft and exhaust. Installed the rear brake drums and wheels. Filled the rear diff and transfer case. Performed road test with the service manager and noise is no longer heard. Vehicle will need an alignment.Here's the parts that were replaced:Carrier (88973189)Housing (88973020)Bearing (88969227)Bearing (88969226)Deflector (88969223)Lubricant (89021670)So, in the quote, the SA didn't include the wheel alignment, so I got that for free (after stating I didn't authorize that work, which was true). I also got a rental car (crappy Sunfire) for $11/day, which was better than the going rate.To top matters off, my CEL came on the next day. I think they jiggled something with my fuel pressure sensor when they were mucking around. I cleared the code, so we'll see if it comes back.Seriously considering selling now. This car is haunted or possessed or something.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Sounds like a lor of work was done to your car. Now I don't know what an SK winter is like but maybe your car is saying "Sell me for a Vibe GT!"
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by pmh013 » Found that there are several bearings worn and have caused damage to the gears....Here's the parts that were replaced:Carrier (88973189)Housing (88973020)Bearing (88969227)Bearing (88969226)Deflector (88969223)Lubricant (89021670)...Seriously considering selling now. This car is haunted or possessed or something.so does one of those parts they replaced include the gears that were damaged?I have considered trading mine in on something else but I can't find anything I'd like better. You used to have a monster commute to rack up those kms so fast,and now that your commute is short (trivially short) you can get away with a big honkin SUV. Go for the Murano, looks like a VIbe on steroids
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Well Drift racers who use Subarus remove the front drive shaft and replace the gear box so there is no hole leading to the front axle where the shaft was...I'm sure something simular could be done with a Vibe to make it FWD. Or can anyone say... RWD Vibe drift car?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
pmh013

Re: Rear differential bearing failure (joatmon)

Post by pmh013 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »so does one of those parts they replaced include the gears that were damaged?Hmm, interesting question. But the answer is YES! The "carrier" is actually all the innards of the rear differential, which includes the gear thing-a-ma-jiggy.Yeah, my commute is totally non-existant now, but I'd like to stay with a relatively low monthly payment. As it stands right now, if I traded in today, I'd be upside down on the loan (sigh). I pretty much gotta get her paid right off then dump it. Lucky for me, I now get a car allowance for work, so I'll start doubling up the payments to get it paid off that much faster.My current contenders include the Nissan Altima, Ford Escape, Toyota Rav-4, and VW Jetta. I haven't gone through the Honda or Subaru websites yet. I don't want to consider a GM. I'm sick of that %^&*# dealership.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by pmh013 »Seriously considering selling now. This car is haunted or possessed or something.Hmm, I haven't the foggiest what that feels like. Glad they got you fixed up though, but sorry they had to get you fixed up in the first place. Financially, it's obvious that the best solution is to hang onto the beast... However, and I know this is easier said than done, it may be worth it to you to pay that sucker down the best you can then go do some shopping. I'm in the same boat now. Can't really afford to trade, but I also can't afford to continue living with that voice in my head that keeps asking "what's next?" Pretty stressful either way. Hope everything turns out for the better.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Gotta be careful though, a Vibe with a busted whatever that'll take a couple thousand bucks to fix won't be good for much on trade in... And if the car is not able to move, it would be worth even less....

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ah... Owning it out right makes a big difference.

Image Image
specialbuddy

Post by specialbuddy »

I think my rear diff bearings are going right now. My car has been making a whine for a month or two now and I checked out the sound myself by spinning the tires while it was on jacks. It sounds like the noise is coming from the differential. I took my car to a shop and they said the same thing. I can't find a used diff anywhere though. Can someone rebuild my differential?
frankiemenz

Re: (specialbuddy)

Post by frankiemenz »

I swear I just saw a tsb for this repair for a Matrix, I think the tsb and repair were shown in an "Import Repair" magazine we receive at our shop. Glad to hear you are up and running again.
specialbuddy

Re: (frankiemenz)

Post by specialbuddy »

Thanks for the tip, I found this. http://www.import-car.com/Arti....aspxThe shop I took it to tried to find a used diff. They couldn't find one so I asked if they could find one for a matrix. The guy asked the shop and was like, "oh he said they are not the same". I highly doubt that's the case since the diagrams look identical to the Vibe ones I've looked at.
Sayersbj

Re: Rear differential bearing failure

Post by Sayersbj »

I have a 2009 AWD Pontiac Vibe. I replaced the rear differential and about 3000 miles later the engine blew. If anyone is looking for parts the car is in great shape. Contact me. bjsayers2000@gmail.com
zbyers

Re: Rear differential bearing failure

Post by zbyers »

Ancient. I know. Rear diff is same for all the vehicles noted at the below link.

https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... s9MQ%3D%3D
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe