Selling my Matrix XRS....

Funny or humorous-type discussions. (follow posting rules)
SlammedNiss

Selling my Matrix XRS....

Post by SlammedNiss »

So I listed my 03 Matrix XRS auto last night on CL (https://i.imgur.com/JavLaVD.png), and woke up to 3 people interested. 2 of them came and looked at the car tonight and took it for a test drive. Both couples were in their 60's, definitely not the demographic I thought would buy it. Well, anyway, the 2nd couple showed up around 8pm and when they were pulling out of my drive for a test drive, they nearly drove the car right off the curb, had I not rolled out the doorway yelling at them to stop. Caught it all on my Ring Pro doorbell. :mrgreen:

https://ring.com/share/3942339d-5d0d-44 ... 22db03269c

They got back from their test drive, and it appears they are going to buy it for full asking price. Will find out for sure tomorrow afternoon if/when they show up with the $$.

Also, ironically, 10 years ago to the day (07/21/10) I sold my first XRS in a manual because I was unable to drive it following my motorcycle accident. So, if they do indeed buy the car, I sold my first XRS and my last XRS exactly 10 years apart.
Last edited by SlammedNiss on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Re: Selling my Matrix XRS....

Post by Caretaker »

Wow, if you can't drive a Matrix without running over the mailbox, then you should not be on the road. That's what I tell my wife anyway. :lol:
What car did they arrive in? Was it the car at the curb? It looks like an older Passat to me. It is always a bit disorienting driving a rental or new car for the first time. That's why dealers always back cars out of their lots for people to take a test drive. They never allow people to pull in or out of tight spots with their cars. I always found that insulting, but I do understand why they do it. One other reason they point the test car straight ahead towards the exit is that they don't want prospective owners to discover the blind spots and spoil the deal. Unless you are test driving a Fit or a Pacer, every first test drive is disorienting at least for the first few minutes and causes an instant negative reaction which dealers want to avoid. I visit and test so many cars that I've seen all of the dealer's tricks.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I was wondering why you didn't go with them for the drive ... but being in a wheelchair I now understand why. Also I thought that the XRS was like the Vibe Gt in that it ONLY came in a 6-speed manual, then I remember that they offered it in BOTH, where Pontiac did not. Good luck on the sale ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:15 am Wow, if you can't drive a Matrix without running over the mailbox, then you should not be on the road. That's what I tell my wife anyway. :lol:
What car did they arrive in? Was it the car at the curb? It looks like an older Passat to me. It is always a bit disorienting driving a rental or new car for the first time. That's why dealers always back cars out of their lots for people to take a test drive. They never allow people to pull in or out of tight spots with their cars. I always found that insulting, but I do understand why they do it. One other reason they point the test car straight ahead towards the exit is that they don't want prospective owners to discover the blind spots and spoil the deal. Unless you are test driving a Fit or a Pacer, every first test drive is disorienting at least for the first few minutes and causes an instant negative reaction which dealers want to avoid. I visit and test so many cars that I've seen all of the dealer's tricks.
Not sure of the model, but yeah it was a white VW.

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:56 am I was wondering why you didn't go with them for the drive ... but being in a wheelchair I now understand why. Also I thought that the XRS was like the Vibe Gt in that it ONLY came in a 6-speed manual, then I remember that they offered it in BOTH, where Pontiac did not. Good luck on the sale ;)
Yea, I just let them take it because I know for sure that at least I would be uncomfortable hanging out in the car with them on a test drive, especially in this day and age. And yes, the Matrix XRS auto came out in just the 2003 model year. Probably limited it to just that year because of the horrible 4-spd automatic that is in the car. I've had the pleasure of driving both a manual and an auto, and the manual in these cars is a far better experience. The auto is impossible to keep the car above 6200rpm through the shifts.

Updated:
And she's gone. (https://ring.com/share/923c38c2-973c-4c ... 5ff04e44ae) Sad to see her go. I've owned a Matrix since March 2002, except for a short period of time when I was driving a Nissan Cube. For being a car that's about 18 years old, it's still a pretty good looking car IMO.
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Congrats SN ! I think that is quite a profit for an 18 year old car.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:02 pm Congrats SN ! I think that is quite a profit for an 18 year old car.
Thanks! I hate selling cars. I never know what to price it at. Obviously if you base it on emotional attachment, which is what a lot of people do, it would be overpriced. I knew the car wasn't in perfect condition, but the mileage was low for it's age. So, I just used the valuation from NADA.com and went from there, and that's what it sold for.
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Sorry to see it go, especially since you're an OG here! What ride is next for you? Did you end up selling the Tokiko's? haha
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

SlammedNiss wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 am Thanks! I hate selling cars. I never know what to price it at. Obviously if you base it on emotional attachment, which is what a lot of people do, it would be overpriced. I knew the car wasn't in perfect condition, but the mileage was low for it's age. So, I just used the valuation from NADA.com and went from there, and that's what it sold for.
The car looked in great shape, well cared for and the auto 2zz is a rare bird, the buyers got a good car. Hard to move on from the Matrix/Vibe.

Will you stay with just the Rav4 in your sig or will you get something else to replace the Matrix?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

zbyers wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:07 am Sorry to see it go, especially since you're an OG here! What ride is next for you? Did you end up selling the Tokiko's? haha
The Tokikos will be going into the free+shipping pile because as of now they are just taking up space. Even then it still won't be cheap to get rid of them, but I hate to just toss them into the trash.
joatmon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 amWill you stay with just the Rav4 in your sig or will you get something else to replace the Matrix?
Nope, living in a single-car-garage home, I'll just stick to the Rav4 for now. It is the "Sport" model, so it does look a little nicer than the average Rav4 at least.
2011 Rav4 Sport
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

SlammedNiss wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 pm
joatmon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:11 amWill you stay with just the Rav4 in your sig or will you get something else to replace the Matrix?
Nope, living in a single-car-garage home, I'll just stick to the Rav4 for now. It is the "Sport" model, so it does look a little nicer than the average Rav4 at least.
At leeast it is the Sport model. Definitely looks much nicer. And is much more comfortable than the Matrix!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe