09 splash guard/fender liner REAR

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
Th17kit

09 splash guard/fender liner REAR

Post by Th17kit »

Okay I've searched up and down, and I'm going to check with you guys before giving up.

My 09 GT is missing the rear fender liners/splash guards. I believe they are missing because it appears that there are some mount points for a plastic guard, and there's a spot in the front of the wheel that is accumulating gravel and other junk. BUT I haven't found any for sale, any mentioned on here, or any in the schematics at GMpartsdirect.com.

Is there really no fender liner in the rear on these cars?

Thanks!
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
vibenvy

Re: 09 splash guard/fender liner REAR

Post by vibenvy »

Nope, no rear wheel well liners :(. As a matter of fact, the only vehicle that I've owned that's ever had them was my 2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe. They sure did make cleaning the wheel wells so much easier.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

That's nuts! I imagine the engineers designed them into the car with bolt holes etc and then the accounting office came by and *yonk* no rear fender liners, gotta cut costs!
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Hmmmmmmmm ... Not to correct Carrie :o but are these what you're referring to ??????? :?:

I posted these pics a month or so ago to get info on the clips that hold them in place. They are very small splash guard type pieces
that are inside the lower rear wheel well areas only. Post pics of your Vibe to show whether or not you have them or are missing them!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I was thinking more in comparison to the front wheel wells that are completely covered. I wouldn't really consider those small plastic pieces in the rear wheel wells liners.

My 2002 Sunfire GT Coupe had full plastic covers in both rear wheel wells just like the front wheel wells on the Vibe.
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Grabbed a couple pics in the dark garage.

Two pics of either side facing toward the front of the car, you can see the stuff accumulated. The other is toward the rear.

Okay I don't understand why the website thinks my pics are invalid. If I have to resize I'm just not going to bother. Off to imgur we go...
http://imgur.com/a/83nkq
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

OK, now I see what you were referring to. By the way, what color 2009 Vibe GT did you have? Was it the Mystic Blue? The color in those three pics do not resemble any true color for that model year Vibe. Must have been the lighting when you took the pic. Just curious :?

beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Mine has a pocket like that in front of each rear tire. Has always concerned me as a bad design, I expect it to rust out in that area first.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Okay well that settles it then! It's there to stay. If I get ambitious maybe I'll clear it out and fashion a piece of plastic to cover the pocket and silicone it in.

It is Mystic Blue, it's likely the poor quality pics and dirty car :)

Speaking of Mystic Blue, mine has a bit of a yellow hue in certain light at certain angle. It's subtle but pronounced enough to be noticeable to others. I like it (adds some dynamism to the paint) but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the color to tell me if they have noticed it as well, or if perhaps my clear coat has just seen a lot of sun... It's visible in the last few pics http://imgur.com/a/UE6Mn.
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Now I remember your car ... at least when you first came on board with us. Question. Was this Vibe ever wrecked? Was the front end ever repainted? In the last pic, it is very noticeable that there is a distinct shade difference of color from the front fender to the drivers door. As if the front clip was repainted. Just curious. You have an extremely rare car there so take good care of it. The fact that it is a GT, then a stick (nice !!!) and the rarest color also!

Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Oh wow you're right! In the lighting in the pics the difference is really clear even though I've never noticed it in person. According to the car fax it was not in a wreck, but we all know the limitations of Carfax and other reporting businesses.

I called the dealer who sold the car new, then took it as a trade in, and they were very friendly (in Louisiana) and didn't have anything useful to add about the car besides that they remembered the trade in a couple months before. From the inspection I gave the car it was in quite good condition besides the tires and the paint defect on the hood. There is a slight defect in the driver's door as well (a traumatic dent near the handle). That also makes me think the panels are original, so who knows? Maybe the side paneling is new, even though the front looks shinier? I'll have to wash and wax and see if the difference is still as noticeable... Now that I see it, it is pretty obvious. Good eye Tim!
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
Th17kit

Post by Th17kit »

Okay all the panels have original VIN stickers on them. To the naked eye there is zero difference between panels - I must conclude that all the paint is original, even though the QP/driver door transition looks very different in those pics!
2009 Vibe GT
Manual
K&N Typhoon
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

As far as the rear wheel wells go (and the fronts too for that matter), I scrub the ones on our Vibes out with a bug sponge (this sponge is used for just the wheel wells and nothing else) and Mother's Car Wash (the same stuff I use on the rest of the exterior) everytime I wash the Vibes. I also spray them out really well with the "jet" setting on the hose nozzle before and after actually scrubbing them. I would like to re-coat the rear wheel wells on both Vibes with some good rubberized truck bed liner-type stuff before winter comes around again to add some more protection and sound deadening. The original stuff is starting to wear off and was never really on there very well to begin with.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Th17kit, my '09 base looks exactly the same as yours - both ahead and behind the rear wheel it has the area that traps gunk. I've owned mine since new. I believe it is just as designed and is just something to keep cleaned out as often as possible.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).