OBD2 and Transmission Temperature

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
cythraul

OBD2 and Transmission Temperature

Post by cythraul »

Hi,

I've had the Vibe for a year now (a 2007 auto) and I recently took the kids for some camping.

I have three kids so there's a lot of stuff to haul. I have a roof rack and a small covered trailer. Also, the trunk was so full that I could not use the rear view mirror. :)

While I'm certain that I'm under the 1500lbs limit, I was curious to see some data of the ECU to compare with and without load. Especially given the terrain to get to the site; A lot of ups and downs: http://goo.gl/maps/eLPdd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, I could not find an Android app that can monitor the Vibe transmission temperature. I feel it's the most critical point to monitor. For the record, I'm using the paid version of Torque which I find very nice. I can see the transmission temperature PIDs but they're not active...

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone here owns this tent trailer that I might get for next year camping trips: http://www.livinlite.com/10.0-overview.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!
cyth
rsz_20120629-151447-1844.jpg
rsz_20120629-151447-1844.jpg (229 KiB) Viewed 5197 times
Old Tele man

Re: OBD2 and Transmission Temperature

Post by Old Tele man »

...I believe neither Toyota nor GM have a temperature sensor installed in these transmissions to read transmission oil temperatures.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

Old Tele man wrote:...I believe neither Toyota nor GM have a temperature sensor installed in these transmissions to read transmission oil temperatures.
It's a bummer. However, I plan on installing a transmission cooler. I'll take the opportunity to install an inline gauge...
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

cythraul wrote:
Old Tele man wrote:...I believe neither Toyota nor GM have a temperature sensor installed in these transmissions to read transmission oil temperatures.
It's a bummer. However, I plan on installing a transmission cooler. I'll take the opportunity to install an inline gauge...
While browsing for a transmission temperature sensor I spotted this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and ... 13010.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a ideal placement for the sender.

As for the gauge, I was thinking of this one. I hate it's look but it's the only digital gauge graded in Celsius:

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/blue-dig ... gauge.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Can't help you on the temperature.

Thought I would mention that the tow rating is with an empty car except for the driver. Any extra passengers or gear in the car should be subtracted from the tow rating.

The Quicksilver trailers are supposed to be good. I've spoken with some owners and they like them. With a GVWR of 1,500 pounds on the trailer you should be good if you pack light. They wouldn't appeal to me because they have no amenities and are only a tent on wheels.

Our trailer weighs 2,000 pounds loaded according to the scales.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I think there is a Temp Switch on these cars (it's triggered when the fluid is up to Temp) but no sending unit. A tranny cooler is a simple and cheap install.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

beemerphile1 wrote:Can't help you on the temperature.
It's ok, it's been confirmed that there is no transmission temperature sensor on the vibe/matrix.
beemerphile1 wrote:Thought I would mention that the tow rating is with an empty car except for the driver. Any extra passengers or gear in the car should be subtracted from the tow rating.
Interesting, I did not know that. I have three kids and a lot of stuff when I go camping. Fortunately, with a tent trailer a lot becomes unnecessary.
beemerphile1 wrote:The Quicksilver trailers are supposed to be good. I've spoken with some owners and they like them. With a GVWR of 1,500 pounds on the trailer you should be good if you pack light. They wouldn't appeal to me because they have no amenities and are only a tent on wheels.
When I first posted about the quicksilver, I was under the impression that a tent trailer did not exist under 1500lbs. Since, I discovered a few interesting between 1200 and 1300 lbs. For example, this one that I'd get right now if I had the money. :)

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z402048434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beemerphile1 wrote:Our trailer weighs 2,000 pounds loaded according to the scales.
Next time I'm loaded, I want to weight my gear also, it will be interesting.

I've discovered also recently that while in North America the Vibe/Matrix is rated at 1500lbs, in the UK it's rated at 2200lbs _if_ your trailer has brakes.
Salsa Guy wrote:I think there is a Temp Switch on these cars (it's triggered when the fluid is up to Temp) but no sending unit. A tranny cooler is a simple and cheap install.
Got the B&M 70264 last week-end. I think it's the best choice for a cooler in our case. I'll install it this week-end if weather permits. :)

In my previous post, I said that I had discovered an adapter that replaces the drain plug. It's essentially a plug with a 1/8" NPT hole in it where you can screw any sender. Apparently 1/8" NPT is standard for a sender. The glowshift gauge I found however is ugly but it's the only Celsius digital gauge. :(

cyth