"transmission bearing"? - 6speed '03 GT making noises

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jcharles00

"transmission bearing"? - 6speed '03 GT making noises

Post by jcharles00 »

Hey all,
My vibe has been plugging along over the years. we're at 217,000 miles now. I'd noticed the last couple of months it's gotten really loud when driving. the sound changes with vehicle speed, not RPM. I was thinking wheel bearing.. Anyway, I took it in to the shop, and they said it was a CV axle bearing. I said "do it" and after $500 spent, we still have the problem. They said they think it's a bearing in the transmission, and that they can't work on it, it'd have to go to a transmission shop. I asked if they had a guesstimate on price, and they told me probably $1500-$1800.

Soo.. I thought I'd pop on here and see if anyone had encountered something like this and what you did/paid to resolve it.

I've been cool doing the occasional $1k repair here and there, because it's been cheaper than new car payments, I love the car, and I suspect that the engine will get me at least another 80k.. but if I'm going to be in $2.5k on this one repair.... that's down payment money.

anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
Caretaker

Re: "transmission bearing"? - 6speed '03 GT making noises

Post by Caretaker »

Well, you've probably read my unending rant on this one, but here it is again: the car is 18+ years old. It has done its job and is going to keep asking for "a raise" the longer you keep it. I know it is age discrimination, but I'd be looking for a younger car. If funds are short and you think you'll have to go the used car route, and are looking for basic transportation, it can be worth it to get on a bus or flight to score a good deal on a privately owned, high mileage vehicle like a Fit. Unfortunately, your car has broken down in the middle of used-and-new-car-mayhem where owners are currently scoring big money on turning their car over to a dealership. Short of finding an owner like me who would never turn his car over to a greedy dealer, I'm sure the lure of easy money has owners gladly turning their keys over to them. I'm sorry you got taken by your mechanic, who undoubtedly enjoys taking customers' money as they install parts until the car's symptoms go away. That too is likely becoming more common as people like you desperately trying to keep their old car running. It just is a bad time to be in need of those in the car selling/fixing business.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The 03 5 speeds seem prone to bearing issues, but the 6 speeds have been really solid. I can't say for sure that no one here has ever had a 6 speed bearing fail, but if they did, I don't remember it.

Given the high cost of the one shop's proposed fix, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. The one you've been going to already cost you an unnecessary $500. Take it to a different shop for a diagnosis/estimate.

And caretaker, I disagree on the used car thing. I keep my cars until they have really serious issues, and I don't trust them anymore. By the time I've run them to death, the easiest thing is to trade them in to a dealer for scrap
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

No need to "shadow." Nobody's taking away your right to post your opinion.
jcharles00

Post by jcharles00 »

The shop ended up being nice and didn't charge me for the misdiagnosis.

I looked at new cars and while I can afford some of them, I just can't rationalize the money/value situation. I had to rent a car yesterday for a doctor appointment, and I think there's nothing to put you off a new car more than driving one. (I got a Nissan "Kicks" and it's mostly just annoying) I am looking at used stuff, and it makes a little more sense, but not being able to find something I really want (no manual trans out there with less than 150k) has pulled me back around to fixing the vibe. My wife says "the devil you know", and I really love the vibe more than anything else I've had, even with it's blown out suspension bushings and other old and busted bits.

It's like
2021/0 miles/$25k
2010/70k miles/$6-12k
2003/217k miles/$2k (vibe)

Getting something used looks like the sweet spot on cost, but man, can I live with a beige seated, automatic corolla? IDK.

Anyway, I've got a local transmission shop looking into it. the guy said it probably wasn't worth repairing, so he's checking his sources for a used transmission with a warranty. Also looking into a reman, but figured it would be in the 3k zone. and $700 to install, which is about what I figured based on clutch labor in the past.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Good luck with your decision. At nearly 19 years old, the car is not going to get any more reliable with time. As far as "the devil you know," that is why I stress that people buy a used car from the owner and not from any crooked dealer. The owner also "knows their devil" and should be able to quickly answer any tough questions you pose to them without blinking an eye. I'm not sure how far out of your geographical area you are looking, but I'd be willing to travel a great distance based on a lengthy, sincere phone conversation with a seller. I did it with my Fit and it worked out, not only because I could confirm the sincerity of the person on the other end of the phone, but also because it was a Honda Fit which are indestructible by nature.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

joatmon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:10 am The 03 5 speeds seem prone to bearing issues, but the 6 speeds have been really solid. I can't say for sure that no one here has ever had a 6 speed bearing fail, but if they did, I don't remember it.

Given the high cost of the one shop's proposed fix, I'd recommend getting a second opinion. The one you've been going to already cost you an unnecessary $500. Take it to a different shop for a diagnosis/estimate.

And caretaker, I disagree on the used car thing. I keep my cars until they have really serious issues, and I don't trust them anymore. By the time I've run them to death, the easiest thing is to trade them in to a dealer for scrap
Amen brother, ride'em until they can't go anymore. For me it is the old thought of cost of repair vs. monthly payment. Is the cost of the repair going to be less than monthly payments over six months? Frequency of repairs also come into play in the equation. Are you having to make more and more repairs?

I would get a second opinion from a legit transmission shop. You can check Yelp or something like that for recommendations on reputable shops in your area. I had to have my old Dakota transmission rebuilt about four years ago. I had it done by a local family business that had been in business for over 30 years and they did it for $1,800. Granted that was a rwd truck and not a fwd Vibe, but that is what I did.

Just some food for thought.
2003 Base Vibe
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

My first move would’ve been new high quality fluid. I’m drying BG synchro shift 2 in mine, and will post updates on my thread when I get it done.

Anyway, it’s possible it was just low on fluid/old fluid.
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith