2004 base ignition coils

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Mark

2004 base ignition coils

Post by Mark »

Frosty is coming up on 200k miles, and one thing I'd like to do is replace the coils. Gas mileage isn't what it used to be, but it's also probably just due.

I found Denso 6731300 coils on Rock Auto for about $60/ea, they run about $100+ at local parts stores. Both sites agree that this is the right part, but I'd like to be certain. This seems like a reasonable price, but let me know if I should look elsewhere. I read Caretaker's thread from a few years ago, the Delphi coils are only about $3 cheaper than the Denso.

I also found Denso on Amazon for less, but one review said they were fake knock-offs, and the seller only had 3 in stock anyway.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Caretaker

Re: 2004 base ignition coils

Post by Caretaker »

I don't remember the part number for the first gen Vibe ignition coils (I think it is 90919-02262 according to Conicelli/partznet), but I bought mine on ebay for $17 each. Unbelievable, but they were not knockoffs and they came sealed in genuine Toyota boxes and wrapping. Plugging in your base Vibe, 2004, automatic, FWD: Denso's own website shows the part number as: Denso 673-1300 Ignition Coil.
When I go to the multibrandsusa seller on ebay (out of Miami) where I bought my OEM Denso's for $17 each, I plugged in 673-1300 and found yours for $26.99 each:
Ignition Coil 90919-02239 Denso 673-1300 For TOYOTA Celica Corolla MR2 1.8L. Go to the denso auto parts website and plug in your car's data in case I did it wrong. Then go to the multibrandsusa seller on ebay and plug in that Denso number.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Caretaker, I just verified and ordered four of those from that seller. Less than half what I was about to pay on Amazon.

I don't always think of Ebay for this stuff, there used to be so many scammers on there that it wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe it's better now.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

You are very welcome. No, it isn't any better on ebay, especially due to the site being awash in Chinese parts. But unless China has a factory that is stamping the same Denso tiny black labeling on the head of the ignition coils, AND unless the Chinese are manufacturing OEM Toyota cardboard and inner wrapping and seals, I'm pretty convinced that I (and you) am getting Japanese Denso OEM parts. Yep, my $17 per coil sure beat the local part store charging me $150 for one!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I got an order confirmation email at 9:12, and a shipping confirmation email at 9:29. On a Saturday no less. Color me impressed.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I just did the same. My '07 is coming up on 190K miles and I have a big trip coming up this year. Thanks to you both.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

...pleasure. I hate seeing people wasting money.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I put the new coils in today, and Amazon had a good price on Denso plugs so I replaced those as well. The old NGKs weren't all that old really, but since I was pulling the coils anyway I figured why not? Also reset the ECM, I'll see if this makes any difference on the gas mileage.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Welp, the first of the new coils failed this morning after 1,060 miles. It started missing shortly after I left the house and threw a CEL so I turned back and checked and sure enough Cyl 1 coil failure. Fortunately I hadn't taken the trash from the garage out and was able to dig the old ones out and replaced the bad one. I cleared the code and it started right up and ran smooth. I'll contact the seller and hopefully can get a replacement or refund.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

you got the Denso ignition coils sealed in Toyota packages with the tamper proof sticker from the ebay seller in Miami?
Mark

Post by Mark »

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yep, that's the correct seller. Sorry that happened to you. Those are not Chinese copies and as long as the Denso # matches up with your first generation Vibe/Corolla, they it would be a stroke of bad luck if one of them were faulty. I've looked at a lot of parts and I would be weary about purchasing any "Toyota" ignition coils that had the part number/brand in plain surface affixed lettering. The ones you and I got are properly stamped/embossed raised lettering with "Denso" and the part number on one side. Not to mention the OEM box and Toyota or Denso tamper proof seal. Again, I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah, hopefully it's just bad luck with the one coil. I contacted the seller and they said they would mail a replacement. But now I'm nervous about the others too, and I'll probably keep a 10mm socket, code reader and spare coil in the car just in case.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Mark wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 pm Welp, the first of the new coils failed this morning after 1,060 miles. It started missing shortly after I left the house and threw a CEL so I turned back and checked and sure enough Cyl 1 coil failure. Fortunately I hadn't taken the trash from the garage out and was able to dig the old ones out and replaced the bad one. I cleared the code and it started right up and ran smooth. I'll contact the seller and hopefully can get a replacement or refund.
Well, I got 4000 miles on mine. I just got the same symptom, diagnosis, and fix. Because of your post, I'd saved the old coils, even kept one under the seat with the scanner and tools. I just contacted the seller via eBay and will see what happens. To all others, you may want to avoid this seller.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Well that sucks. I just had a Denso that I replaced 2 years ago and it just went bad. I was disappointed. I replaced all 4 at 60 bux a peice. I guess it can happen then.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Mark

Post by Mark »

That eBay seller sent a replacement after I contacted them and no more issues so far. I also bought a spare from a different eBay seller. I keep the spare in one of the rear boxes behind the wheel well, along with a ratchet and 10mm socket. Funny that after almost 200k trouble free miles I replace the coils and now need to carry a spare and tools.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Ditto here, almost 200K miles on the originals.

I haven't heard back from the seller but it's only been a day. Since it's been almost five months, maybe I won't. I'll go your route and get a new spare from another vendor.

The problem persisted for a couple of days before I could diagnose and fix it, and it ran okay once it warmed up and got on the highway. The CEL was steady, not flashing, so it presented as a minor problem. So I'm somewhat confident that if it occurs again it won't leave me or my wife stranded somewhere in the desert at least.
Mark

Post by Mark »

It took him a couple days to respond to me, then he just said that he could send a replacement if I wanted. I replied to that and never got another email or shipping notice or anything, so I said screw it and ordered one from another vendor. Then after 10 days or so the replacement showed up. My only advice would be to ask for a replacement and be patient LOL
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Another of my new coils just failed, about 500 miles after the first one failed, less than 5000 miles and five months from purchase. I'm getting tired of that and I just put all the old coils back in. I never heard back from the eBay vendor so I guess I'll just write that one off. Warranties on electronic parts are difficult sometimes anyway. I wrote an appropriate review on eBay.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Another one bites the dust. Got a CEL and misfiring this morning, went back home and my scanner said P0304. Replaced the #4 coil and it's running smooth again. Probably too late for a warranty replacement now, but I'll ask anyway.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Mark wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:14 pm Another one bites the dust. Got a CEL and misfiring this morning, went back home and my scanner said P0304. Replaced the #4 coil and it's running smooth again. Probably too late for a warranty replacement now, but I'll ask anyway.
I never heard back after two emails via eBay. I found a couple of reports on very convincing counterfeit coils. Lesson learned--if the deal looks too good to be true, it is.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I've been monitoring this closely, since I installed 3 new ones from the guy in February. All came in tamper sealed boxes with original Toyota labeling. Perhaps I have been fortunate that I've had no issues with them. While multibrandusa is still active on ebay, they no longer have any of the 673-1310 coils for my model year. Although they have 16 negative reviews to go along with their 2700 positive reviews, they don't appear to be a fly by night outfit who suddenly disappeared from the web after selling some trash parts.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Third one went this morning. Was on my way to Home Depot and gas station, I knew I was down to 1-2 gallons in the tank, so at first I thought maybe I was running out or it was starting to suck air, but after a few minutes I recognized the miss and then got the CEL. Filled up and the CEL was off again, but came back on the way home. P0302, so replaced #2 coil and back in business.

So that's three of the originals from the Florida place so far that have gone bad, but the one replacement I got from him seems to be ok. So far anyway. I've bought three more now from other sources and all came in the same Toyota original packaging and look the same. I don't know if this Florida dealer just got a bad batch of Denso coils from somewhere or if they are counterfeits. But I also don't know if the replacements are counterfeit either. If more of these fail I'll just put the original four back in and hope they last. My only other option will be to go to a dealer or NAPA and pay a fortune.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I had a rough start in my driveway the other morning. The car rumbled to a start. This has happened at least 10 other times over the past 6 years, mostly during cool moist mornings. I've also attributed it to the fact that the driveway has a 10 degree incline and the gas might be flowing back away from the engine (if that is even possible). Anyway, unlike the last time (5 months ago), I decided to let the car idle its way back to normal before putting it in gear. The last time I just drove off as it was rumbling and I set off a CEL. Yesterday, one day after the rumbling start, I noticed that the RPMs were diving down at every stop sign but never stalled and no CEL. This morning it started fine and I decided to do the Scotty Kilmer ECU reset procedure (unhook neg cable; wait 4 minutes; turn lights on to drain remaining power from ECU; wait 4'; reconnect battery and start and idle in neutral for 4'; downshift to low gear and idle for 4'; drive the car for 20 minutes over 35mph). So far the car's idle isn't diving down towards 500rpm. We'll see what the next days bring before I take out all the ignition coils and plugs for an examination.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I'm amazed to report that the ECU reset and relearn procedure has worked flawlessly. I have not had any issues with weird stuttering startups nor RPM plunges at stop signs. Today, I even jammed on the brakes pretty hard and the idle maintained its composure, never getting below 700-ish.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have found that an ECU reset has fixed various rough and low idle issues, and I always reset mine when I clean the MAF sensor.

Not sure what that has to do with a bad coil, though.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I sure don't understand it as well
Mark

Post by Mark »

Drove to the grocery store this afternoon, car was running just fine, about a 4.5 mile trip. Came out 15 minutes later and started it up, very rough idle. Wasn't sure if it was a miss or not, but suspected it probably was. I have my code reader in the car, but it's 20º here today with a 15-20 mph wind, so I decided to drive home and check it in the garage. Sure enough P0303, the last of the Florida coils finally went. A smarter person than me might have just replaced #3 when #2 died, but I'm stubborn.

So all 4 of the coils have failed now, but the one replacement from the original dealer is still fine. So far anyway. The other three were also purchased on Ebay, and all of them came in Toyota boxes and "Denso" and the part number molded into the plastic.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Man, that's tough. I sure hope you left feedback on the multibrandusa seller's site? It is interesting reading the 18 negative comments on his/her site. In most posts, the seller appears to make an attempt to resolve any complaints in order to uphold their 99.3% positive rating. There are a few negative posters who mention fake products but it is hard to know who is just whining and which negative post is actually justified given the very short reviews they left. I did notice that the ignition coils I ordered and installed in February are no longer available on his/her site despite them being a commonly used 1.8 liter Corolla engine item. All seems well with my ignition coils and the ECU reset was the best thing that's happened to my ignition system in 10 years. My car sounds totally different at startup and my idle diving has disappeared.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Mark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:18 pm Drove to the grocery store this afternoon, car was running just fine, about a 4.5 mile trip. Came out 15 minutes later and started it up, very rough idle. Wasn't sure if it was a miss or not, but suspected it probably was. I have my code reader in the car, but it's 20º here today with a 15-20 mph wind, so I decided to drive home and check it in the garage. Sure enough P0303, the last of the Florida coils finally went. A smarter person than me might have just replaced #3 when #2 died, but I'm stubborn.

So all 4 of the coils have failed now, but the one replacement from the original dealer is still fine. So far anyway. The other three were also purchased on Ebay, and all of them came in Toyota boxes and "Denso" and the part number molded into the plastic.
I could see the four I bought were heading that way when two failed in 5000 miles. Since I'm not the primary driver, and the car was about to go on a 1000 mile trip without me, I didn't want to risk third and fourth failures. I'm glad I kept the originals. They're still working just fine, about 5000 miles after I took them out of the trash. "Once bitten, twice shy," and now I'm nervous about any preventive maintenance of electronics. I believe I will leave those old ones in until one fails. I've learned the car can still be driven with one failure, at least.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The seller did replace the first one that failed, and that one is still working so far, but they had taken down the listing by the time the second one failed.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:20 am The seller did replace the first one that failed, and that one is still working so far, but they had taken down the listing by the time the second one failed.
The replacement coil from the original seller failed yesterday. So that's five bad coils now from that dealer. I hope I have better luck with the ones from other sellers, but also very glad that I didn't toss the originals.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Let us know WHERE you end up obtaining new coils. I'm finally getting around to fixing up my project car (2003 Vibe GT) and ran codes on it the other day. P0300, 0302, 0304. Coils are a possible culprit :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"