2003 Vibe Piston Soak

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
TYK97

2003 Vibe Piston Soak

Post by TYK97 »

03 Vibe Base Auto w/ 128k miles

I recently ran seafoam high mileage through the crankcase and gas and just replaced the oil a couple days ago at 128,000 miles (Valvoline 5-30 synthetic blend high mileage).

With the weather getting nice I was gonna do a piston soak since I have been told the 2003 1ZZ-FEs are prone to seized piston rings. I also plan on replacing the ignition coils at the same time.

I know how to do the soak as to not water log the engine.

Is there anything wrong with doing the soak if oil consumption is normal for a 1ZZ-FE? When I was running conventional it was close to 0.20 quart of oiled burnt per 1000 miles. Or 0.60 of a quart burned every 3000 mile oil change.

Thank you for any advice or discussion
Caretaker

Re: 2003 Vibe Piston Soak

Post by Caretaker »

If I'm reading your note correctly, my thought is: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I added Seafoam to my crankcase for a year while trying to stem my 1.5+ quart oil loss as the engine worked harder going up and down the hills of San Diego. If you are not experiencing any measurable loss of oil, why do the soak?
TYK97

Re: 2003 Vibe Piston Soak

Post by TYK97 »

My thoughts are that it would be preventative maintenance. Like to prevent a problem before it arises.