2003 Auto Trans just quit while driving

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
mrarcade

2003 Auto Trans just quit while driving

Post by mrarcade »

My wife was driving our 2003 Pontiac Vibe automatic. The car has about 312,000 miles on it. She realized she had passed where she needed to be, so she turned into a parking lot and was kind of turning a left-hand u-turn and when she went to come out of the turn she realized pushing on the gas didn't make the car go any faster. She pulled into a parking spot and park the car. Basically coasted in. Now the car won't do anything in any gear. Is there something simple electronic like a solenoid that can just cause the whole transmission to just stop working? I hadn't noticed anything funny with the transmission, my wife and daughter both said they had felt it act up on them though.
Fluid level is good.
I just don't know ...I'm not used to hearing of transmissions just dying before they start acting up.
Last edited by mrarcade on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CraftsmanQuad19

Re: 2003 Auto Trans just quit while driving

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

Check the CV axles. They may have had some slop and a tight u turn might’ve popped the shaft out of the cup. That would be my only guess
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

CraftsmanQuad19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:07 pm Check the CV axles. They may have had some slop and a tight u turn might’ve popped the shaft out of the cup. That would be my only guess
When car is running and in gear, there is no noise other than the normal engine sound. With minor gas applied the engine revs, but no other sound. If a CV joint were broken it would make some noise as it would spin and clunk around, correct?
CraftsmanQuad19

Post by CraftsmanQuad19 »

You would think so but not 100% of the time. Worth checking just to be sure
“I don’t do nothing well.” -Keith