High output vs. stock starter

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
TYK97

High output vs. stock starter

Post by TYK97 »

With winter in full force I have had to beat on my starter a few times to get my 03 Vibe Base working (127k miles).

I was looking to get a replacement and found 2 different starters, a 1.6kW and a 1.4kW.

This is the OEM starter as far as I know https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2003_ ... arter.html and is 1.4kW (I think)?

Denso makes this one https://www.sparkplugs.com/denso-280-03 ... 2307361681 and it is 1.6kW.

Is that 0.2kW the difference between high output and stock? MonkeyWrenchRacing says the 1.6 is high output and is larger than the stock one, but still fits. https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... oem-reman/

Side note: MWR has the SKU for this 1.6kW starter as DEN-280-0278. But Denso lists that SKU as its 1.4kW version. I emailed them and their response did not clarify anything involving the SKU, just that they "carry only the one model- it works excellent."

Can anyone help clear this up for me? I want the higher output but I cannot tell if that is 1.6kW or if I should be looking for something else.
Caretaker

Re: High output vs. stock starter

Post by Caretaker »

beats me too. I too just wrote Denso to determine which magnetic spark plug socket I should get for the #3444 plugs (9/16 or 14 mm); and have not heard back from them.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Is it possible that the 1.6kw model is for the first gen GT models due to their higher compression ratios? That would make sense to me seeing how it could possible take a little more force to push the pistons up "that much more" and overcome from a dead stop.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The 03 matrix parts catalog shows a different alternator for the 2ZZ than the 1ZZ, but shows the same starter for both.

I don't think the difference in power is worth the extra $40. But that's me.
TYK97

Post by TYK97 »

Banging on the starter today didn't work so I suspect the battery is also done for, or at least out of commission in this weather. The battery was last replaced in 2018 I believe. The car doesn't have to be moved till Monday for the snow plow so hopefully the weather will get warmer by then.

Is a starter replacement and battery replacement necessary at 127k miles and 3 years since a new battery?
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Can you check the voltage at the battery? It should be over 12.4 V, ideally 12.8.

Can you jump the car?

If the car starts with a jump, that doesn't mean the battery's at fault. It could be the charging system, or something as simple as a bad connection. Drive it to an auto parts store when they'll do a battery and alternator test for free.

A battery should last more than three years. An 18 year old starter, alternator, or wire connection could possibly fail due to age and corrosion as much as miles.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

TYK97 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 am Is a starter replacement and battery replacement necessary at 127k miles and 3 years since a new battery?
18 years on an alternator???? Pretty good bet it is shot. 18 years on a starter???? Pretty good bet it is shot. Five years is a good death for a battery. One shouldn't expect any more than that. So at 3 years, when deciding if a battery is bad, one has to ask whether you routinely popped open the two tops and kept the chambers filled with distilled water? Summer heat evaporates the water in a battery and is the most common cause of failure, not the winter cold. Some companies offer fully sealed batteries. I much prefer the ones with the ability to check the water/acid level so I can keep any surprise failures to a minimum.
TYK97

Post by TYK97 »

It was sunnier out today so I tried jumping the car to no avail. I had it towed to the mechanic later because I don't have a garage and did not want to replace a starter outside in the Chicago cold. I'll let you know what the mechanic says the fix is. Starter is still my best guess for the problem.
TYK97

Post by TYK97 »

Drum roll...it was the starter.

Thank you all for your help with my initial question. I'll make sure to replace the alternator when the weather is nicer and I can work outside.