1ZZ-FE Valve Cover Replacement Tip

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
TYK97

1ZZ-FE Valve Cover Replacement Tip

Post by TYK97 »

I'm using my daily 03 Vibe Base (130K miles) to learn more about working on cars. Recently I purchased a used valve cover from a wrecked Vibe. It looks like it is in good condition.

I am replacing the PCV valve, valve cover, gasket (+2 grommets), and have gasket maker for the part between the cams and timing chain. I already replaced spark plugs at 120k miles.

My question is do I need to oil up the new valve cover as like a primer? Should I wait to change the valve cover the same time I change the oil? Does anyone have any tips or things to look out for when doing this work? I have owned the car for roughly 55-60k miles and this is the 1st time I am doing the valve cover gasket.

Thank you all. I'm including a few pics of the new valve cover.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1601.jpg (67.12 KiB) Viewed 4745 times
joatmon

Re: 1ZZ-FE Valve Cover Replacement Tip

Post by joatmon »

TYK97 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:14 pm My question is do I need to oil up the new valve cover as like a primer? Should I wait to change the valve cover the same time I change the oil? Does anyone have any tips or things to look out for when doing this work?
Thank you all. I'm including a few pics of the new valve cover.
You want to make sure all the mating surfaces are oil free. Sometimes I use a paper towel I've sprayed with brake cleaner to clean surfaces like that.

The valve cover doesn't retain any oil, so there's no need to prime it with oil.

The only reason I can think of to synch the cover change with an oil change would be if you drop crap into the engine, something like you weren't careful enough removing the old sealant at the timing chain/head seam, then perhaps after running the engine a bit to wash the debris into the pan, changing the oil. But we'd all agree it would be a lot better to avoid dropping debris into the engine, so do that and don't worry about tying it to an oil change.

Here's a pic from the 03 Matrix manual about replacing the valve cover, there's no specific torque pattern, but it does give the bolt torque specs. 8 ft-lbs isn't a lot.
Covertorque.jpg
Covertorque.jpg (64.42 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
Curious, why do you need a replacement valve cover?
TYK97

Post by TYK97 »

https://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 12&t=47633

This is also me lol. I know a replacement valve cover was kinda the last thing to try but it just seamed like the easiest to me while also helping me learn more about the car and the engine.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I remember now. Replacing the valve cover would be easier than mucking about trying to restore the stripped threads.

Should be pretty straightforward task, but sometimes I find a way to turn an easy task into an ordeal. The last time I pulled the valve cover, the one stud that acts as both a valve cover bolt and a mount for the plastic engine cover came off with the engine cover. Instead of unscrewing the acorn bolt holding the engine cover on, the stud came out of the head. When I went to put the valve cover back on, I spent an embarrassing large amount of time looking everywhere for the one valve cover screw that I had somehow lost. Finally found the stud still attached to the plastic engine cover.
TYK97

Post by TYK97 »

I am going to head over to ace and get some replacement bolts for the coil packs. Do you know which ones I need and which material they should be? I'm not positive but I am under the impression the torque spec changes with the bolt material used.

Thank you
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

yes and no. Different materials have different strengths, so they'll have different maximum torque before they shear or strip. The matrix manual says the torque for the ignition coil bolts is 80 inch pounds which is snug but not really that tight. At 80 in-lbs the type of material isn't going to matter much, you won't shear it off, and shouldn't strip the threads. I don't know what the OEM bolts were made of, but I might go for stainless steel just to prevent any corrosion. Just don't over torque them
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

OEM valve cover bolts are an M6x1.0... about 35mm in length.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Do you know what size the ignition coil bolts are?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

joatmon wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:28 am Do you know what size the ignition coil bolts are?
Same thread...Maybe a little longer. But probably the same.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe