Tranmission Fluid Chage at 218000 Miles 06 FWD Base

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BrandonMassey

Tranmission Fluid Chage at 218000 Miles 06 FWD Base

Post by BrandonMassey »

I've driven my vibe 60,000 miles since I got it and it's at 218000 and I believe from prior records the transmission has been "serviced" a very very long time ago, doesn't say any details but my fluid doesn't look very bright at all anymore and reading from what others posted on the forums its a good idea to just give it some new fluid, pretty sure I should but should I drop the pan and replace the filter or just a fluid change? A flush is not a good idea from what others have said since i dont believe the cars transmission has been kept up on and ive put 60,000 miles on it in 2 and a half years with no fluid change or flush, just wanted to hear from someone who's done it before what I should do and what I need, torque specs for the pan and stuff if needed would be appreciated and how much fluid I need and recommended filter and fluid brand and type would be appreciated since every time I try and research the specifics it gives me something different every time, to me this is my transmissions life so ill leave it to the vibe experts lol.
andrewclaus

Re: Tranmission Fluid Chage at 218000 Miles 06 FWD Base

Post by andrewclaus »

It's simple to drop the pan on this car because there's a drain plug. Count the bolts to get the right gasket and filter kit. I used T-IV fluid. The whole job cost me about $30, with three liters of fluid on sale.

You'll probably want to get three more liters and do a simple drain and fill in a week or so. There are over 8 L of fluid in the car and only three will drain out. Two changes got me to a nice red color.

Drain and pan bolt torque spec is 13 ft-lb.
BrandonMassey

Re: Tranmission Fluid Chage at 218000 Miles 06 FWD Base

Post by BrandonMassey »

andrewclaus wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:19 pm It's simple to drop the pan on this car because there's a drain plug. Count the bolts to get the right gasket and filter kit. I used T-IV fluid. The whole job cost me about $30, with three liters of fluid on sale.

You'll probably want to get three more liters and do a simple drain and fill in a week or so. There are over 8 L of fluid in the car and only three will drain out. Two changes got me to a nice red color.

Drain and pan bolt torque spec is 13 ft-lb.
Thank you for the reply, ill do that and ill do it in a week or so like you did that sounds like a good idea