What is the Average Life Expectancy for the OEM O2 Sensors?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
schwartzy18510

What is the Average Life Expectancy for the OEM O2 Sensors?

Post by schwartzy18510 »

The exhaust flange between the muffler assembly and the catalytic converter pipe on my 2003 Vibe (base model, 1.8L 1ZZ-Fe engine, FWD, AT) recently rusted through right above the rear axle, completely separating the muffler assembly from the rest of the exhaust. I had previously identified a minor exhaust leak coming from the front exhaust flange connection between the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter pipe as well, and suspected a bad front donut gasket. My testing at the time also indicated the exhaust manifold gasket may have been slightly leaking at the #4 cylinder port to the head.

I therefore ended up pulling the rear muffler/resonator assembly, catalytic converter pipe, and the exhaust manifold from the car with the intent to repair all potential leaks by replacing the rear and front exhaust donut gaskets and accompanying bolt/spring kits, as well as the exhaust manifold gasket. It turns out that the front donut gasket was actually not leaking (despite being quite aged and worn), but that the leak is coming from several small pinholes in the front mini-cat near the welds for the OEM heat shield. The exhaust manifold was indeed leaking slightly at the #4 cylinder, despite appearing to be in good overall condition.

While I have the entire exhaust system off of the car, the thought occurred to me that it would probably be a good idea to take advantage of the overlap in labor and ease of access to proactively replace both my upstream and downstream O2 sensors. I live squarely in the Rust Belt here in SW Michigan, and have had several days-long battles in the past with rusted-in O2 sensors on other vehicles which defied my every move made to remove them with MAP gas torches, impact guns, breaker bars, air chisels, and the like.

The Vibe currently has 179K on the odometer. We purchased it with 91K on it back in 2013, so I know the O2 sensors have at least 88K on them — and I expect that they are in fact original. I have no reason to believe that they are beginning to fail or are in need of replacement, as I've seen no CEL's and the Vibe still obtains a healthy 36 MPG when cruising at 55–60 MPH.

That said, I know all good things come to an end eventually, and I'd rather replace the sensors on MY terms with good ease of access, tools ready to hand, and per my schedule, rather than when they happen to fail at some future inopportune time. At the same time, I am cognizant of the fact that this is a 17-year-old vehicle with 179K miles on it, and don't want to invest undue money in parts unless need be.

What has the average lifespan been for the OEM O2 sensors on the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla platforms? If they usually last well past 200K miles, I may leave well enough alone. From what I've gathered online, an average O2 sensor in other makes/models is considered doing well to last 100K miles, meaning mine have already served a long and healthy life.

At the very least, I may take the opportunity to break both O2 sensors loose, clean up the threads and apply anti-seize before reinstalling them, making any future replacements quick and easy. Curious to hear at what mileage others have had to replace their O2 sensors.
2003 Salsa Red Vibe Base Model
1.8L 1ZZ-FE, FWD, AT, 190K Miles
*Unresolved Vibration at Idle*
SeattleJeremy

Re: What is the Average Life Expectancy for the OEM O2 Sensors?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

O2 sensors are sensitive to environment. The longer time the O2 sensor spends outside of it's desired range, the more likely it will be broken.
EG: Exhaust leaks cause the sensors to heat up too much. A leaky injector can cause the cat to go bad, causing more fuel to be dumped on the sensor than it was designed for.

My Vibe never had any of it's exhaust parts off and the O2 sensor still works at 260,000+miles. On the other hand I had a bad tune on my Grand Am for a few months and it destroyed both sensors.
schwartzy18510 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:16 am have had several days-long battles in the past with rusted-in O2 sensors on other vehicles which defied my every move made to remove them with MAP gas torches, impact guns, breaker bars, air chisels, and the like.
If an O2 socket, wrench, and a long breaker bar can't get the job done, use new O2 sensors. I recommend buying them before you start the job so they're on hand. You can always return them if you don't use them.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

From what I've read, some believe to wait past 225k toward the 250k miles area to proactively replace working sensors and that is my plan for now.

I have noted that one of the sensors (I think it was the upstream) was much more expensive than the other. Maybe replace that one first or the one that is hardest to get at :? .

I do understand your thinking on "MY terms" as I decided I am going to proactively replace the starter brushes in the next few months on mine with ~190k miles.
2005 Base - 220k
schwartzy18510

Post by schwartzy18510 »

SeattleJeremy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:57 am O2 sensors are sensitive to environment. The longer time the O2 sensor spends outside of it's desired range, the more likely it will be broken.
EG: Exhaust leaks cause the sensors to heat up too much. A leaky injector can cause the cat to go bad, causing more fuel to be dumped on the sensor than it was designed for.

My Vibe never had any of it's exhaust parts off and the O2 sensor still works at 260,000+miles. On the other hand I had a bad tune on my Grand Am for a few months and it destroyed both sensors.
That's good to hear. My engine runs tip-top — great fuel trims and compression, no oil consumption to speak of. Just wondered what type of interval others were getting out of the OEM sensors before they went south. Appreciate the feedback regarding yours lasting to 260K+. Toyota continues to blow me away with the component build quality on the Vibe.
Jbenrod wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:19 pm From what I've read, some believe to wait past 225k toward the 250k miles area to proactively replace working sensors and that is my plan for now.

I have noted that one of the sensors (I think it was the upstream) was much more expensive than the other. Maybe replace that one first or the one that is hardest to get at :? .

I do understand your thinking on "MY terms" as I decided I am going to proactively replace the starter brushes in the next few months on mine with ~190k miles.
Thanks for weighing in, appreciate the info regarding O2 sensor longevity.

Given the feedback received, I elected to simply take the opportunity to remove both sensors while I had the pipes/manifolds out of the car, which I was able to do without a struggle thanks to a crows foot wrench and my Ridgid cordless impact rated for 625 ft. lbs. of removal torque. To my amazement, neither sensor appeared seized and both still had visible anti-seize remaining on the threads. A far cry from my prior experiences with the sensors on domestic vehicles!

I re-applied anti-seize to the threads and snugged both sensors back down. This gives me the confidence that should I need to replace either sensor in future, I should be able to do so in tight quarters without struggle with the exhaust system still in the car. I'll save my cash for now and continue rolling with the stock sensors.
2003 Salsa Red Vibe Base Model
1.8L 1ZZ-FE, FWD, AT, 190K Miles
*Unresolved Vibration at Idle*
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Not sure but im at 270K with the original 02 sensors. No CELs.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I'm not really sure there is a measurable life expectancy for o2 sensors. I've heard of some dying in as little as 50k miles, and we have multiple vehicles with over 250k miles on them still on the original sensors.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

I just recently found a Toyota bulletin that for 05-06 Matrix, there was a manufacturing defect in some of the air/fuel sensors, and they recommend changing that sensor (to a new part) if you get a P0171, and you have a Corolla, Matrix, or presumably Vibe as well.

Sorry, I can't find the link in a search.
2006 AWD, 207k