Transmission leaks

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
gokevingo

Transmission leaks

Post by gokevingo »

Anyone have sort of wide spread transmission leaks? The places I see it mainly seem to be the lines going to the radiator.
I'm due to replace the radiator as Ive had a smaller than pinhole leak in the radiator since I got the car a few years ago.
My main questions are has anyone had this issue? What was your resolution?
I've only been able to find generic oil line and fitting but nothing that seems Vibe specific. Where did you get your replacements?
Would it make sense to anyone to run it through an aux cooler either additionally or instead?
Thanks in advance :P
zbyers

Re: Transmission leaks

Post by zbyers »

I presume automatic since you mention lines going to the radiator.

We replaced those steel transmission lines through the local parts store. Haven't replaced a radiator, but priced them this morning for a friend, and they're also pretty decently priced through the parts store.

I installed an external tranny cooler a few years ago before towing a trailer cross country. Not sure if it helped or not, but it's pretty easy and straightforward to do.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
gokevingo

Post by gokevingo »

Yes, Auto. I forgot to specify. Thank you.
Did the parts store have exact fit replacements?
When you installed the cooler did you run it in line or bypass the radiator?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

What year Vibe do you have?

If you can't find the steel lines at a local auto parts store, you should be able to get the parts for the same year Toyota Matrix either online or from a Toyota dealer.

I replaced the radiator on an 03 Matrix, was pretty straightforward. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the tranny lines connected to the radiator as a rubber hose/hoes clamps. Other vehicles I have replaced radiators in had brass threaded fittings and rigid steel lines at the radiator, kind of like brake lines, easy to cross thread and hard to align if replacing the steel line.

If you already have a small radiator leak, then replace that and use the integral tranny cooler. I wouldn't think that you would need an auxiliary transmission cooler unless you were towing something with the Vibe. It wouldn't hurt, but generally not needed.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Braided fuel hose and clamps work fine for most AT cooler lines. I can not say for sure about the Vibe lines but so far in my lifetime, I have not seen a issue with using braided fuel hose. Most AT cooler lines only see about 10 psi. The tank in the radiator are very thin and can not withstand high pressure. Steel line sets are more durable and will withstand higher temps then rubber. Preformed steel line sets are used in manufacturing as they are quicker to install then long rubber hoses and generally last longer then a hose would. When using rubber hose on steel tubing, you may want to use a flaring tool to add a "bubble" in the tubing end for a better seal of the tubing and hose.
gokevingo

Post by gokevingo »

joatmon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:46 am What year Vibe do you have?

If you can't find the steel lines at a local auto parts store, you should be able to get the parts for the same year Toyota Matrix either online or from a Toyota dealer.

I replaced the radiator on an 03 Matrix, was pretty straightforward. I particularly enjoyed the fact that the tranny lines connected to the radiator as a rubber hose/hoes clamps. Other vehicles I have replaced radiators in had brass threaded fittings and rigid steel lines at the radiator, kind of like brake lines, easy to cross thread and hard to align if replacing the steel line.

If you already have a small radiator leak, then replace that and use the integral tranny cooler. I wouldn't think that you would need an auxiliary transmission cooler unless you were towing something with the Vibe. It wouldn't hurt, but generally not needed.

Somehow i forgot to check for a matrix set, thank you! I'm finding what looks right but the retailers websites say they wont fit a vibe. I don't 'tow' exactly, but I frequently drive around hilly areas and highways with two kayaks on the roof, a car full of camping gear and/or dogs, and my foot to the floor. I'm at like 175k so I'm not sure if it will help all that much at this point, but it's not real expensive so I'm leading towards adding it.