1zz-fe cylinder head oil return passages

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
EW57

1zz-fe cylinder head oil return passages

Post by EW57 »

Greetings, could someone tell me approximately how many oil return passages there are in a 1zz-fe and where they're located? I'll attempt to attach a representative photo.

Thanks & take care
1ZZ-FE_w_head_800.png
1ZZ-FE_w_head_800.png (66.53 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
CNYDave

Re: 1zz-fe cylinder head oil return passages

Post by CNYDave »

I would say, look at the 3 brown passages on this block, just those and the cam chain passage.

then match up with a cylinder head pic, I think I see 3 next to the head bolts at top of pic

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

CNYDave wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:43 pm I would say, look at the 3 brown passages on this block, just those and the cam chain passage.

then match up with a cylinder head pic, I think I see 3 next to the head bolts at top of pic

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/how ... down.6726/ has a pic of the underside of the head that came off that block

I don't know how /what oil returns there are from the top of the head that drain into the chain area

edit I also attached a PDF from the 03 matrix manual about the 1ZZ lubrication system, has a couple of interesting pictures

Just curious, what circumstance prompted the question?
Attachments
1zzfelub.pdf
(20.44 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Last edited by joatmon on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
CNYDave

Post by CNYDave »

just behind the sprockets would fill fill oil if there weren't a drain, so I'm pretty sure there is one.

Light looks to be coming through a possible opening in this pic:

EW57

Post by EW57 »

Thank you everyone for your input, excellent info!