Whistle/whining when accelerating

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
brandon4987

Whistle/whining when accelerating

Post by brandon4987 »

Had this strange issue that I can't seem to trace down. When accelerating I'm getting what I'll describe as a whistling/whining noise when accelerating that can be noticed mostly between 2-3k RPM's once the car is up to about 35 MPH. It's a bit difficult to describe so I'm attaching a video along with this post. I believe it may be originating from the transmission, but it's very difficult to pinpoint as the sound only occurs while driving. In this clip the sound begins at appox. 8 seconds. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/utbFK5i_nao
Caretaker

Re: Whistle/whining when accelerating

Post by Caretaker »

I find it hard to hear, but I think I hear what you are getting at. It certainly does not sound like the pitch nor the volume of a typical failing transmission which is a lot louder and ultimately becomes more of a whirling/buzzing noise (as you no doubt have heard out of any Ford product driving by your house). Staying with the transmission for the moment, when did you do your last transmission fluid change? How does the color look on the dipstick? While your noise seems speed/rpm related, I've heard a lot of weird noises over the years from BF Goodrich and other low grade tires. Others can chime in here on whether which speed sensitive parts might require lubricating such as a speed/odometer cable. Give us a little more info on what you are hearing in case others find it hard to discern your noise from the audio clip. Does the pitch sound different at different speeds or is it a constant/level resonance?
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

Caretaker wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:32 am I find it hard to hear, but I think I hear what you are getting at. It certainly does not sound like the pitch nor the volume of a typical failing transmission which is a lot louder and ultimately becomes more of a whirling/buzzing noise (as you no doubt have heard out of any Ford product driving by your house). Staying with the transmission for the moment, when did you do your last transmission fluid change? How does the color look on the dipstick? While your noise seems speed/rpm related, I've heard a lot of weird noises over the years from BF Goodrich and other low grade tires. Others can chime in here on whether which speed sensitive parts might require lubricating such as a speed/odometer cable. Give us a little more info on what you are hearing in case others find it hard to discern your noise from the audio clip. Does the pitch sound different at different speeds or is it a constant/level resonance?

Yes, unfortunately it isn't as audible in the video as it is when actually driving it. Transmission fluid was completely changed just a couple weeks ago and is clean. this sound occured long before that though. It definitely seems speed/rpm related and gets higher in pitch as the speed/rpm increases. I picked up a set of chassis ears earlier this week and am going to toy around with those later today clipped on to various parts of the vehicle. Once I get some results I'll try to capture the noise from that and upload a 2nd video. Also, definitely have some low grade chineseium tires on it, but really doesn't sound like it's originating from the wheels.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I've seen some cars making a whistle noise when accelerating due to the air box lid not being on all the way. A bit of air sneaks it's way through the crack causing whistling.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

brandon4987 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:43 pm Had this strange issue that I can't seem to trace down. When accelerating I'm getting what I'll describe as a whistling/whining noise when accelerating that can be noticed mostly between 2-3k RPM's once the car is up to about 35 MPH. It's a bit difficult to describe so I'm attaching a video along with this post. I believe it may be originating from the transmission, but it's very difficult to pinpoint as the sound only occurs while driving. In this clip the sound begins at appox. 8 seconds. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/utbFK5i_nao
I'm not at all trying to mislead you, but pretty sure my vibe and your vibe makes that same noise and I thought it was normal, ive driven it from 156000 miles to 215000 since I got it two years ago and its always whistled and I never saw a problem or anything, replaced the tires twice its always been the same and when im cruising around 45 mph it whistles but it doesn't sound unhealthy, to me its coming from the engine bay.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

My old Subaru wagon has always made a whistling noise since I got it, with 200K miles on it, ten years ago, when accelerating with wide open throttle past 3000 rpm. It bothered me for a few weeks. I think it could be a resonance in the intake air system, or maybe a loose heat shield, not worth tracking down.
SirTaconius

Post by SirTaconius »

My Vibe did the same thing. anytime it got up past 2000 rpm it would whistle then get higher in pitch similar to a tea kettle. but as soon as i would let off the gas it would go away. only under heavy acceleration. I replaced my muffler and it resolved the issue for me