P0741 even after full flush

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
brandon4987

P0741 even after full flush

Post by brandon4987 »

Hi Guys,

I have the dreaded P0741 on my 2004 Vibe. When I received it, the transmission fluid was dark brown, but not burnt. From some research it sounded like this may have been playing a part in the P0741 code. I did 2 transmission fluid changes a couple of weeks apart, just spill and fills. I reset the code, and was good for a couple of weeks, but it returned shortly after. The fluid was still pretty dark even after the two changes. It's been an ongoing issue for the last year or so, and I finally got around to performing a full flush on the system with all new fluid. A couple of weeks later and it's back on again. There's no issue with the quality of the fluid at this point obviously, so I'm leaning towards believing the TCC solenoid may actually be faulty. I know lots have alleviated the issue by changing the fluid, but curious if anyone has actually went ahead and replaced the solenoid here, and if they had any success. Also, if anyone could provide the part number or replacement that they used it would be greatly appreciated. Rockauto has a couple, but there's a $50+ difference between the two. Thanks!
dcjredline

Re: P0741 even after full flush

Post by dcjredline »

Does it actually not lock up?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Are you experiencing any issues because of it?
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

zbyers wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:13 am Are you experiencing any issues because of it?

Nope, no drivability or shifting issues. The problem is my inspection runs out soon. I was able to get it to go away long enough to pass last year by doing a spill and fill. I went ahead and replaced the TCC solenoid this weekend. I try not to throw parts at issues, but considering I had to drain the fluid and remove the pan to be able to even test the solenoid I figured I'd just replace it to be positive the original solenoid wasn't the culprit. I tested wiring to make sure I had no breaks. The original solenoid seemed to be functional but believe it may have been leaky. From the extensive research I've done it's sounds like it's usually one of a few things. Dirty fluid, obstructions in valve body, bad solenoid, or torque converter malfunction. Since I've ruled out a couple of these the only other thing I'd try at this point would be cleaning the valve body. I imagine it would be pretty difficult to give it a thorough cleaning though. If it turns out to be the torque converter I'd probably just buy install a used transmission given the minimal cost and labor time difference between that and just the torque converter. I've done some test driving to see if a pending code would trigger but so far so good. I'll update if it comes back on.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Filter? Much on magnets in pan?
brandon4987

Post by brandon4987 »

jolt wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:26 am Filter? Much on magnets in pan?

Filter was replaced last year. Magnets had normal amount of metal accumulation on them.