2008 Vibe Starts a Little Rough

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Milesb

2008 Vibe Starts a Little Rough

Post by Milesb »

My 2008 vibe with 140,000 miles has been starting a little rough. About the half the time the engine turns over about 4 times before starting and the other half it turns over twice before starting like it always has. It has started every time and I don't need to turn the key for a long time or try multiple times to start. It seems minor but I want to look into the issue before it gets worst. Is the starter going? What are other things to look at?
Caretaker

Re: 2008 Vibe Starts a Little Rough

Post by Caretaker »

So the starter is "turning over" every time you turn the key? If so, the starter is doing its job. Somehow you are not getting to ignition. How long ago were the ignition coils and spark plugs replaced? Those are always the first items to inspect/replace with any reliable Japanese engine such as ours. If the plugs and coils were replaced, then I'd move on to a clogged fuel filter (assuming they still have those on modern cars?? and which I believe is just a filter sleeve near the fuel pump on our cars).
Milesb

Post by Milesb »

The starter does turn over each time they key is turned. I know the plugs and ignition coils haven't been in replaced in the last 130,000 miles. I am planning to start there.
Thanks for the input!
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I wouldn't worry about replacing the coils until they actually start giving you issues. Plugs? Yes, always a good idea. Air filter too.

Outside of that, have the battery and alternator tested just to make sure they are fine. I don't really see what you're saying as being a huge issue otherwise. My starter is dying so I have to fight with it on occasion lol
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
maggarjt

Post by maggarjt »

My car starts rough too. It’s starts normal and then it grumbles for a minute at a low rpm (~1000). The idle doesn’t fluctuate wildly but it is searching within a 100 rpm range and you can tell the car is reacting to an issue. It struggles for about 3 seconds and then it raises to 1600 rpm and warms up as normal. The RPM idles at 660-700 when at idle and warm. I have replaced IM gasket, throttle body gasket, 4 motor mounts , plugs, coils, timing chain tensioner and vvti solenoid.it does this mainly when cold. Would this be a fuel issue, fuel pump or injector that is failing?