AC recently quit.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
svt4cam

AC recently quit.

Post by svt4cam »

Been a while since I've posted here. On my 03 a week or so ago my AC quit cooling. Worked well one day was blowing hot air the next. The AC button on the dashboard still lights up. I'm not sure if the compressor clutch is kicking in, I'm assuming that if line pressure was low it wouldn't? Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
2003 Vibe 5 speed
2021 Honda CRV
2006 Xterra 6 speed
1990 Mustang GT Convertible 5 speed
1976 Triumph Spitfire 6 speed (od)
2017 Leprechaun 260QB
mrarcade

Re: AC recently quit.

Post by mrarcade »

I would say first get the hood open and visually verify whether the compressor clutch is engaging or not. If it is not engaging, unplug the wire from the compressor and verify whether you are getting 12 volts or not at the plug with AC on. I recently had to repair my air conditioning, I was getting the 12 volts at the compressor but the clutch wasn't engaging. I ordered a new compressor clutch coil from eBay for $39. Once installed my air conditioning works great. If when your air conditioning is turned on you do not get 12 volts at the compressor plug then you have to get into your little fuse and relay box under the hood. There are previous posts outlining how to troubleshoot there.
svt4cam

Post by svt4cam »

Thanks for your reply. I'll pop out my test light. Finally had a chance to look at compressor today and indeed clutch is not engaging. Since it worked great, then didn't I'm inclined to think refrigerant is fine.
2003 Vibe 5 speed
2021 Honda CRV
2006 Xterra 6 speed
2017 Leprechaun 260QB
svt4cam

Post by svt4cam »

Can the coil be done with compressor in the car so I don't have to recharge?
2003 Vibe 5 speed
2021 Honda CRV
2006 Xterra 6 speed
2017 Leprechaun 260QB
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

svt4cam wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 pm Can the coil be done with compressor in the car so I don't have to recharge?
Yep. Take passenger tire off and reach through the wheel well. You'll need a torx bit to remove the outer piece, some good quality snap ring pliers to remove the snap rings, and patience to undo the stupid single wire hard-to-pinch electrical connector.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
svt4cam

Post by svt4cam »

Excellent thanks for your help ZByers I'll post results.
2003 Vibe 5 speed
2021 Honda CRV
2006 Xterra 6 speed
2017 Leprechaun 260QB
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

I got the torx bolt out using a screwdriver to wedge between one of the triangle corners and stop the pulley from spinning while I removed the torx bolt with a ratchet. Then I got the first snap ring out. When it was time to get the second snap bring out that actually held the coil in, unfortunately I could not get my snap ring pliers to work. If the holes had been on the lower left quadrant at around 7 o clock on the clock face I would have been able to take that snap ring out. But the holes were more at 2 o'clock position. So I had to unbolt the compressor so I could rotate it a little bit. I did leave all lines attached though.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

mrarcade wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:47 pm I got the torx bolt out using a screwdriver to wedge between one of the triangle corners and stop the pulley from spinning while I removed the torx bolt with a ratchet. Then I got the first snap ring out. When it was time to get the second snap bring out that actually held the coil in, unfortunately I could not get my snap ring pliers to work. If the holes had been on the lower left quadrant at around 7 o clock on the clock face I would have been able to take that snap ring out. But the holes were more at 2 o'clock position. So I had to unbolt the compressor so I could rotate it a little bit. I did leave all lines attached though.
glad you were able to get it done!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe